LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
NYC GOAT
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to Drift for a while already but i didnt want to crash my TR '06 that i have owned since new, and only having 22k miles on the body and around 300 miles on the 447ci i needed another car to beat up a little.

I started my Nissan 240sx built to throw one of the spare LS1 or my old LS2. Found a shell in Vegas, got it shipped, bought a swap kit. The shop that was powder coating a few parts for me lost my tranny cross member, and slowly i lost interest in the 240 and wanted another GTO. When i bought my GTO almost 7 years ago i was buying a few parts from Pedders at a time, then bought their whole kit with the XAs, and having two LSx motors, tons of suspension parts, Vengeance racing Cam, GMM and billet shifters, heads and FAST mani, a spare Monster Clutch kit and even another set of CTS-V calipers i could not dump more money into the 240, i NEEDED another GTO. I was looking for an 04, i loved the flat hood. something affordable, high miles did not scare me i work on all the cars and maintain them myself.

So my journey took me back to CRAIGSLIST !!! :D

after about 5 months of searching i found two GTOs that were exactly what i was looking for... Ironically both were the same exact car. Quicksilver M6 with black interior. One in Washington State that slid into a highway divider, kid wanted pennies for it and all it needed was a front fender and a headlight. Second was in Ohio west of Toledo not to far from Detroit. This one the owner had NO IDEA what the car was and only used it as a daily for most of its life. Normal wear for a car from that year and the paint looks awesome.

So i went with Ohio... best part about it i got it for what most people pay for a LS2/T56 combo on craigslist.

Last Year i picked up a sierra DENALI but did not want to beat it up on the trip towing the car back soooo... i did what every other gearhead would do to protect their baby. I got a rental !! Rented a GMC YUKON from HERTZ, unlimited miles and just swapped over my tailor hitch.

I took my brother; that i never wanted and got going. here are a few pics.

My TR GTO and my Denali towing it to CSP last year

i let my brother drive there because he has a heavy foot and i wanted to get there asap lol got a ticket 10 miles away from our destination

got the car loaded on the trailor... and our rental, thanks HERTZ !

Back in NY giving her a wash from the 11 hour trip

introducing the new girl to Candy

the silver GTO is staying in the backyard because i have no more room in the garage thanks to my stung bike/pops bike and tool boxes and engine stands and what not

and me sticking out like a soar thumb in a small hillbilly shack of a restaurant in ohio. That Chili wasnt too bad though. God i missed NYC !!

·
NYC GOAT
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
pulled the carpet out to find this

took off the drivers side skirt and sealed the hole in the fender well with some silver RTV and dried the interior up. Now i found a leak thats coming from the front windshield that was replaced at some point.
cleaned the interior up got my BRIDE seat mounted. i ordered spacers b.c the LOW MAX bride sits too low. I sware those seats are made for little asians guys. im still waiting to mount my NARDI wheel, im just waiting on Gforge to finish making the next batch. got a new center consul in the old was torn up also got a new dust boot and leather boot for the shifter. waiting to put the tranny back in to finish it up.

getting ready to pull the tranny for the 11inch monster ceramic race clutch/speed bleeder/braided clutch line/GMM shifter

changed the valve cover gasket and the intake manifold gasket... going to delete the EVAP solenoid at this time too.

getting to work on the spare motors :)

·
...no, not really.
121 Posts
Ah, the surprises we find when we buy used cars. Interesting build. The best part is stopping for chili in a hick town when you're from the big city. It used to be the opposite for me. Good luck!

·
NYC GOAT
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ah, the surprises we find when we buy used cars. Interesting build. The best part is stopping for chili in a hick town when you're from the big city. It used to be the opposite for me. Good luck!
thats why i always try to buy new. ill spend more time fixing this car and doing the maintenance the previous owner neglected to do

awesome! looking forward to seeing this
ill see you the 30th. Hows your diff looking ? Stock or 2way?

Why buy a truck if you don't want to use it as a truck? It's a GM it can take it.

I'll be keeping an eye on this though, I love home grown motorsports.
i didnt want to put the miles on and beat on it driving across 3 states with a trailer. essp across PA where its nothing but hills.

·
DO A BARREL ROLL!!!!!
949 Posts
Glad to see more people building GTO's to have fun with instead of keep in a bubble all pretty in their gargae. At least now people can build them without taking the $30,000 hit to their pocket like i did hahahah.
Hope to do some tandems with ya in tyhe future. Maybe trade some paint and put some dings in that thing ;)
If you have any questions you can shoot me a message on my facebook page. I have hundreds of hours of R&D on making the GTO work for drifting and would be happy to help out in any way that i can.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wall-E-Drift/299135250132157

·
NYC GOAT
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
got a few stupid things done... weather has been really shitty lately and ive been staying busy with work..
still have to finish pressing in the front CA bushings and waiting on front pads. Clutch just got here but tranny doesnt wana come out. waiting on nice day to pull it out. got my new driveshaft, found my GMM shifter, got all the lines waiting. steering wheel went in but the Gforce Hub doesnt work with 04 clock springs so i just broke the tab off the clock spring to get the hub on. Finally got 2" seat spacers, seat sits perfect now.

·
NYC GOAT
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad to see more people building GTO's to have fun with instead of keep in a bubble all pretty in their gargae. At least now people can build them without taking the $30,000 hit to their pocket like i did hahahah.
Hope to do some tandems with ya in tyhe future. Maybe trade some paint and put some dings in that thing ;)
If you have any questions you can shoot me a message on my facebook page. I have hundreds of hours of R&D on making the GTO work for drifting and would be happy to help out in any way that i can.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wall-E-Drift/299135250132157
yea, i love my GTO ive had soo much fun in it, i cant wait to get this one done and start drifting.

Hopefully one day we can exchange some paint :) im planing to go to as many events as i can afford this season to get some practice in.

i just cheaked out your fb. i have to make one, cause your knuckles and rear coilovers need some explaining.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Awesome find, and good luck. I'll be keeping an eye out for updates.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Looking good. I really dig the steering wheel and seat combo/ Although you forgot to switch the bleeders/crossover tubes on the calipers! Bleeders should be facing up!

·
NYC GOAT
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome find, and good luck. I'll be keeping an eye out for updates.
thanks man

Looking good. I really dig the steering wheel and seat combo/ Although you forgot to switch the bleeders/crossover tubes on the calipers! Bleeders should be facing up!
thanks... I love that steering wheel. cant wait to actually drive the car for the first time.

yup, I was just test fitting the calipers.... still waiting on new control arms and pads.

Now you know where one of your kits went :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey what seat rails are those and where did you get the seat belt buckle from?

Looking good and great progress so far!

·
NYC GOAT
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey what seat rails are those and where did you get the seat belt buckle from?

Looking good and great progress so far!
thanks man

i used sparco sliders, Planted motorsports seat bracket, and 2inch Jeep CJ seat spacers.

·
NYC GOAT
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the seat belt buckle i took from my dads grand prix since he got the GTO interior now. i just cut and welded it to make shorter and it bolted straight to the seat bracket.

·
NYC GOAT
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

·
NYC GOAT
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Awesome thread so far. I love Brides, especially the Cuga and Vorga seats.
thanks man. Im lovein them too. it was a PITA to get them to sit perfect but im happy with them.

TO DO LIST ( needs to be done in time for the event on the 27th )
-remove carpet
-weld in/ mount hyrdo Ebrake
-delete ABS / module
-run new Brake lines
- remove / weld diff

need more steering angle..... the nissan guys get all the sweet angle, wtf

·
Registered
109 Posts
Looks really good man! Yeah knuckles will be the best mod. Not only is more angle amazing but the quicker steering ratio is so much better to drive.

Where did thou slide?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts