LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Depreciation Victim
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how this feature works? Owner's manual says the radio is made to interact with a phone. Doesnt say how.

Also, do these cars have a light around the ignition keyhole? Mine doesnt, or it doesnt work.

·
2,432 Posts
POOK said:
Does anyone know how this feature works? Owner's manual says the radio is made to interact with a phone. Doesnt say how.

Also, do these cars have a light around the ignition keyhole? Mine doesnt, or it doesnt work.
Bluetooth is about the only way for a car/radio to interact with a cell phone and I never heard anything about the GTO having Bluetooth.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I could be wrong, but I believe it is a hard-wired port on the radio.

·
Registered
205 Posts
AmesGTO said:
Bluetooth is about the only way for a car/radio to interact with a cell phone and I never heard anything about the GTO having Bluetooth.
It says in the manual that there is an aux port to connect your phone to and it will use the car speakers and such, so there must be a way. You would just have to ask the Aussies because we are not familiar with where the location of this is and how it works, and neither is pontiac.

·
2,432 Posts
It would have to be either Bluetooth or a 2.5 jack. I haven't seen the jack anywhere. If it had Bluetooth I think they would advertised it, plus having worked on the engineering side of Bluetooth products I know they should have been required to include the Bluetooth logo somewhere on the car radio.

So unless there is a 2.5 jack hidden somewhere in the car I'm guess GM's documentation people messed up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Cellular Telephone Connector

AmesGTO said:
It would have to be either Bluetooth or a 2.5 jack. I haven't seen the jack anywhere. If it had Bluetooth I think they would advertised it, plus having worked on the engineering side of Bluetooth products I know they should have been required to include the Bluetooth logo somewhere on the car radio.

So unless there is a 2.5 jack hidden somewhere in the car I'm guess GM's documentation people messed up.
"The cellular phone connector is taped back to the main wiring harness and is located at the right front of the center console. To access the connector, removal of the right instrument panel lower extension side panel is required. A connector kit is required with mute output and external speaker functions. The connector provides constant and acessory battery power outputs and ground connection for the cellular phone. Radio telephone input allows the audio from a suitable hands-free cellar telephone kit to be reproduced through the radio speakers.

·
Depreciation Victim
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone here ever done this???

Sounds cool if it works. It would seem like they should be touting this feature instead of burying it in the Owner's Manual. Who knows what other gems could be in there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
POOK said:
Make sure you have the interior light switched on so it lights when opening the door... If its off the ignition light doesn't work....

·
Depreciation Victim
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
devil cv8 said:
Make sure you have the interior light switched on so it lights when opening the door... If its off the ignition light doesn't work....
Devilcv8,
You hit the nail on the head. The kids must have turned off the dome light. I never noticed as I usually drive during the day. Now if I can just get Mcguyver to wire up this phone option, I'll be all set.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
John Delore said:
"The cellular phone connector is taped back to the main wiring harness and is located at the right front of the center console. To access the connector, removal of the right instrument panel lower extension side panel is required. A connector kit is required with mute output and external speaker functions. The connector provides constant and acessory battery power outputs and ground connection for the cellular phone. Radio telephone input allows the audio from a suitable hands-free cellar telephone kit to be reproduced through the radio speakers.
This is a great feature. Why bury this behind a panel and make it difficult. :(

Does anyone have part numbers for the kit?

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Has anybody figured anything out about this yet? I'd be interested in doing this if I can work it with my phone and it's not too expensive.
Dan

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
POOK said:
Who knows what other gems could be in there.
I remember hearing somewhere that there is wiring for and external cell antenna somewhere in the harness. Any OzKateers able to verify?

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
mlc said:
This is a great feature. Why bury this behind a panel and make it difficult. :(

Does anyone have part numbers for the kit?

During a conversation with a Pontiac Rep taking a Survey last night I asked about this... he gave me a part number :D

GM#92143075

He also told me to order the part and not take it if it wasn't right. Basically he had obtained this information during his survey of the first 2000 buyers of the GTO. He shuffled through some notes and gave me that. He was pretty confident it was right, but wanted me to be careful. The guy was pretty terrific.

Could someone in the know look up that part number and give a description/cost please?

I am going to be dropping off my goat on Monday for some unrelated work and plan to ask about this part.

Thanks!

Diana

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
Huntress said:
During a conversation with a Pontiac Rep taking a Survey last night I asked about this... he gave me a part number :D
What a trip! I got a call from a Pontiac rep taking a survey on Monday night! Guy was pretty knowledgable about the car and, after telling him I was thrilled with the car, he asked about things that I thought could have been done better. I mentioned a few of the obvious things (coat hooks, faster-moving seats, climate control, better trunk design, more power (he laughed and said I wasn't supposed to have heard about the LS2)) and then I mentioned the hands-free thing.

He didn't know what I was talking about at first so I explained a bit and then he pulled up the manual ad saw what I was talking about. I told him of my efforts and the limited info I had gotten (how the dealer faxed me a half-page service note on where under the dash the thing is bundled and how Pontiac's Care folks basically suggested I wait six months or so until someone figures it out.) He quickly found the thing my dealer had faxed me and agreed that it wasn't terribly helpful. Then he said, if I didn't mind waiting a few minutes on hold, he was going to find someone who could provide the answer for me. I spent more than half-an-hour on hold, with him coming back periodically to make sure I was OK and still there. Then he accidentally cut me off. I guess he figured I got tired of waiting and hung up because he didn't call me back. Either that or he couldn't find the answer and didn't want to admit it! That was my hunch at the time but I now have a different theory...

I think the guy that called me did find an answer and made a note of it. I further suspect that same guy called you! I bet he was surprised and pleased when you asked about the same thing and this time he was able to produce the details quickly.

Please let me know, Huntress, what you learn, OK?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My old man has a VY commodore berlina as a work car and has a hands free kit which is plugged into the radio. The kit he has also comes with a microphone which is located at the top of the A-pillar. Seems to work pretty well as it mutes what ever you were listen to before the call.

It was installed by the holden dealer I think.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Turbo_Tim said:
My old man has a VY commodore berlina as a work car and has a hands free kit which is plugged into the radio. The kit he has also comes with a microphone which is located at the top of the A-pillar. Seems to work pretty well as it mutes what ever you were listen to before the call.

It was installed by the holden dealer I think.
That is so totally what I want... I hope this pans out.

NC... I can't say it was or not the same guy, but he never once put me on hold, he had the info at hand in his notes.

Totally trust me to come back with an update.

I still need someone to answer my question on the part description and price

·
Registered
600 Posts
Cellular Telephone Description and Operation
General Cellular Description
The cellular phone connector is taped back to the main wiring harness and is located at the right front of the center console. To access the connector, removal of the right instrument panel lower extension side panel is required, which is described in this section. A connection kit is available through an authorized retailer. The connector provides constant and accessory position battery power outputs and ground connection for the cellular phone. It also provides the following connections that interface with the radio when a telephone hands-free kit with the appropriate functions is connected.

Radio Telephone Mute
Whenever a call is made or received, the radio will display VOICE IN and the volume of the radio will be muted or the CD will be paused. A suitable hands-free cellular phone kit with a mute output function is required to be connected to mute circuit of the cellular phone connector.

Radio Telephone Input

Important
Before connecting a cellular phone hands-free kit to the vehicle, refer to the relevant installation or operators manual(s) for the correct installation procedures.

This function allows the audio from a suitable hands-free cellular telephone kit to be reproduced through the radio speakers. A suitable hands-free cellular phone kit with mute output and external speaker functions is required and is connected to the mute circuit , voice signal circuit and voice return circuit of the cellular phone connector. The phone input has independent tone from the normal audio sources. The bass, treble, fader and balance can be adjusted to suit the particular phone/preference whenever VOICE IN is displayed on the radio. These settings will then be used whenever the phone input is activated, and does not interfere with the settings for radio or CD playback. With both functions, the radio returns to the previous playing mode and audio settings when the call ends.

Received as an e-mail from the dealer. Copied the info here.

Part Number 92143075 is listed as "Connector, M/TEL Harn (Phone Side)" in the 2004 GTO Parts book. GM has inventory (20) in a Michigan location. No pricing infomation is available.

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
Yep. Seen that, been faxed that. Things like "A connection kit is available through an authorized retailer" and "a telephone hands-free kit with the appropriate functions" and "a suitable hands-free cellular phone kit with a mute output function" and "refer to the relevant installation or operators manual(s)" and "a suitable hands-free cellular telephone kit" all sound so promising until you ask "where can I get a suitable kit"...

Appreciate the info and look forward to someone (hint, hint, Dianne) actually getting this feature functional!

1 - 20 of 172 Posts