LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to change out the shifter knob without replacing the shifter? I would like to eventually get a shifter if Kirban ever gets around to making one, but in the mean time I would like to at least change the knob.

·
RIP George...
2,163 Posts
I believe you can replace the knob but you have to replace the shaft also. Someone else did that here. Here's the link:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1648

The shifter and knob as a whole are different; however the shaft that the knob is attatched to is just like most other shifters in that it is secured with two bolts. Just buy a hurst replacement stick and whatever knob you want.

Although it may be cheaper to wait for a new shifter. Hope this helps.

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DevilYellow said:
Nope. Do a search and you'll see some good pics. Its not a normal threaded knob.

Yeah I saw that. It looked like the knob was actually attached to the shaft. I guess I was hoping that someone would tell me if a vendor made a replacement shaft that I could use with another knob.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Don't know if you could get the right size die or have some tool shop could cut some threads on the current shaft to accomidate the std. thread pattern on mass produced knobs, but it might be worth a shot.

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know what the Z06 thread pitch is.. I still have two of the knobs left from there :) I also have access to a machine shop that can cut them. But my main concern is getting the factory knob off, isnt it fused onto the shaft somehow? I really havent been able to find any good pics of what the oem looks like and I havent had the time during daylight hours to take the car apart and pull the old one out.

·
Blue Thunder
821 Posts
I changed it on mine..I used the Lous Short Stick I had from my SS. Its the same size as the stock one, just with threads. I got a few pics in my sig of it.

-Brian

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice, so you just put a Lou's in there from an F-bod... cool. I know a few people with them and can probably get one for testing purposes so that I can make one that will fit my C5 knobs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts