LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yup this weekened i installed my comp cam and stainless long tube headers and all i have to say is that the 04 gto should have been built this way the car runs awsome. the reason I changed it because the reason why the gto is slow is because the cam they use in the gto is 197ish duration cam verses the camaro /corvette cam which is a 204ish duration cam. the problem with the stock cam is it doesnt like to rev the power feels too flat so when I was driving through Ohio i stoped a summit racing a purchased a comp cam and springs 221/224 dur 568/569 lift 112 lsa with titanium retainers and a slp timing chain to adv the cam 4 degrees. total cost $1900/ 2300 with tunning before i had my gto I had a low 11 sec c5 so i kind of know my ls1s

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
welcome aboard. sounds like we have another "mod nut" on our hands. look forward to hearing more of your modding experiences with the GTO.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Welcome to the funny farm. So how long did it take you?
:drink::drink:

·
3,327 Posts
We like Mod nuts. Welcome Mr. Judge. :judge:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when i dynoed the car stock it made 275 to the rear wheels then i stuck on a cone filter and made 300 to the rear wheels it was the best 40 dollars i ever spent

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it took about 8 hours to change the cam thunder racing sells a tool to keep the lifters planted in the block the gto is joke to change a cam in you dont have to take off the intake just the water pump and hamonic balancer and radiator and your there the time is in changing the springs . thunder racing sells a tool to make that easy and for tunning go see the vette doctors in ny $300 dollars

·
Registered
118 Posts
bmooresbm said:
Why did you need the new springs?
I'm not "the judge" but I'll answer for him........568+ lift from the new cam. Our stock springs are only good up to .550 lift I beleive. However, I'm not sure I'd want to go over .525 with stock springs myself!

Congrats on your new cam, springs, and long tubes. Rats, you beat me to it!!!!! (see sig below on upcoming mods)

-JB

·
MAX-M6/LS1
223 Posts
Where did you find some headers?, I've been contacting everyone and I'm tired of hearing five or six weeks.
And about that cone filter what kind and what part number did you use.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
got the headers from bmr and as for the k/n filter i got it from pepboys cant remember the number i took a curved piece of plastic blower tubing that came in an old fbody supercharger kit then i connected it to the mass air sensor the to the filter make sure the filter is long enough to keep the mass air from rubbing on the belts i would show a picture but i am not good with computer stuff

·
Registered
267 Posts
the judge said:
yup this weekened i installed my comp cam and stainless long tube headers and all i have to say is that the 04 gto should have been built this way the car runs awsome. the reason I changed it because the reason why the gto is slow is because the cam they use in the gto is 197ish duration cam verses the camaro /corvette cam which is a 204ish duration cam. the problem with the stock cam is it doesnt like to rev the power feels too flat so when I was driving through Ohio i stoped a summit racing a purchased a comp cam and springs 221/224 dur 568/569 lift 112 lsa with titanium retainers and a slp timing chain to adv the cam 4 degrees. total cost $1900/ 2300 with tunning before i had my gto I had a low 11 sec c5 so i kind of know my ls1s

would you mind sharing the p/n for the cam / springs (either summit or compcams part number)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts