LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have surpassed the 5000 mile mark on my '04 GTO. This is supposed to be about where the LS1 "loosens up." How can I tell if my LS1 has indeed "loosened up?"

The exhaust sounds different, no doubt. It is much deeper... "throatier."
Remember when I thought I lost low end torque? Remember when I thought it was back? Well, now it seems gone again. Could this be a symptom of my LS1 "loosened up?" Or could the 275/35/18 Toyo tires be so big and sticky that I have a really hard time turning them over?

Why does my car "bog" on the launch? I don't THINK I'm using the clutch differently. I just can't seem to get that "leap" off the line I had when the car was "young." Tires? Break in? Tuning? Technique?

Help a fella out. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I read somewhere that bigger rims (dubs) is bad for the strip. It's all un-spun weight.

For what it's worth I haven't noticed any change when I rolled past 5K. But I did start synth oil at 800 miles so maybe the 5k breakin is now out to 10 or 15k.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hey Florit,

Maybe you and I could meet up in the near future, run 'em, try to get some kind of comparison. I just turned 1,000 miles for what it's worth.

·
Registered
349 Posts
We are now well into the months without r's which down south means it's time to sweat. I don't know about where you guys are, but down here in NC, it's starting to get quite warm. Is it possible that with the warmer weather your tires are a little grippier?

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Lot of questions

FLORIT said:
I have surpassed the 5000 mile mark on my '04 GTO. This is supposed to be about where the LS1 "loosens up." How can I tell if my LS1 has indeed "loosened up?"

The exhaust sounds different, no doubt. It is much deeper... "throatier."
Remember when I thought I lost low end torque? Remember when I thought it was back? Well, now it seems gone again. Could this be a symptom of my LS1 "loosened up?" Or could the 275/35/18 Toyo tires be so big and sticky that I have a really hard time turning them over?

Why does my car "bog" on the launch? I don't THINK I'm using the clutch differently. I just can't seem to get that "leap" off the line I had when the car was "young." Tires? Break in? Tuning? Technique?

Help a fella out. Thanks.
Florit, Since the MAF incident, have you made any more changes? What is the installed height of the Toyos compared to the KDWSes? Does it do this with either tires on? How many miles since the 'incident' for the system to re-learn? Stock programming or Aftermarket tune? Check the intake again for starting to shake apart or air leaks? Check the plugs, Lean? Rich? or right on and light tan color? Does the car 'bog' (literally choke and hesitate on the punched throttle), or does it get pulled down by traction?

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Tigger said:
We are now well into the months without r's which down south means it's time to sweat. I don't know about where you guys are, but down here in NC, it's starting to get quite warm. Is it possible that with the warmer weather your tires are a little grippier?

Warm?.........damn it has been mid 90's with about 99% humidity.....shower in the morning walk out the door and sweat is pouring off your head in about 10 seconds......Damn I miss chi-town.....

·
Registered
349 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
Warm?.........damn it has been mid 90's with about 99% humidity.....shower in the morning walk out the door and sweat is pouring off your head in about 10 seconds......Damn I miss chi-town.....
Okay, I admit that it's an understatement calling it warm when both temperature and humidity are over 90. We're only a quarter of the way through the r-less months. If you can't handle it now, what are you going to do in July and August?

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
Tigger said:
Okay, I admit that it's an understatement calling it warm when both temperature and humidity are over 90. We're only a quarter of the way through the r-less months. If you can't handle it now, what are you going to do in July and August?

Stay inside with A/C on :D ......I am a chicago kid.....I really need to go back....this 8 month summer is terrible.

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
Tigger said:
That's certainly the case over here on the coast! I like to drive with my windows down and have noticed a change in the sound the tires make - as if they are tearing at the asphalt. I like these Goodrich's much more now than I did 1400 miles and two months ago... ;)

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
Funny, I'm in Chi-town missing the heat and humidity of West Palm...

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Old Goat said:
Florit, Since the MAF incident, have you made any more changes?
NO.

Old Goat said:
What is the installed height of the Toyos compared to the KDWSes?
The Toyo tires are actually 0.1 inches smaller than the stock tires. I have adjusted the speedo using HP Tuner.

Old Goat said:
Does it do this with either tires on?
YES.

Old Goat said:
How many miles since the 'incident' for the system to re-learn?
At least 1000.

Old Goat said:
Stock programming or Aftermarket tune?
STOCK. The only changes I have made with HP Tuner are !CAGS and adjusted the speedo.

Old Goat said:
Check the intake again for starting to shake apart or air leaks?
I've kept a close eye on it. Everything is secure.

Old Goat said:
Check the plugs, Lean? Rich? or right on and light tan color?
I have not checked the plugs since I switched to the TR55's. The stock plugs were darker than I expected, but that was WAY before all this mess and at very low miles.

Old Goat said:
Does the car 'bog' (literally choke and hesitate on the punched throttle), or does it get pulled down by traction?
Interesting question. It seems like it's "choking" (getting too much fuel.) On the other hand, how I handle the clutch makes a difference, too. What I am feeling may be a combination of a "rich tune" and "sticky tires." It is definitely different than when the car was new.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
I bet you are getting a lot of KR,I noticed my car on a 95 degree day must have taken a ton of timing out of the car.The car was a slug,They run these cars lean and at WOT the fueling is very unstable being the stock LTFs are +.You must richen the car up with your HP Tuners and get your LTFs -.You will notice a huge difference.Richening things up will stop most if not all KR.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Get back out to the track and see what she runs. Trap speed can be good indicator of power. When you go by, seems less powerful, or doesn't fee the same, that can really be misleading. You need some solid info here. Go to the track or dyno it. Also a programmer could detect some problems. Even these cars SEEM slower the more we drive um. Human nature. Good Luck. Keep us
updated.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Fuel?

FLORIT said:
Interesting question. It seems like it's "choking" (getting too much fuel.) On the other hand, how I handle the clutch makes a difference, too. What I am feeling may be a combination of a "rich tune" and "sticky tires." It is definitely different than when the car was new.
Hmmmm. You may be right. If you do get a chance, check a few of the easy plugs, and take a peek at each of the connectors on the MAF and airtube temp sender to check the pins. Doing the intake tube, I almost flattened one in mine. What brand of fuel have you been running? Have you done the TB heat bypass? Do any codes show on a Diagnostic start-up in the DIC? Any stumble or hesitation at any other times?

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chicken Little

I run 93 octane Ammoco or Exxon, even in my Grand Am. Gas is expensive, but I insist on top quality.

I took the GTO out last night with Dad's laptop connected. I collected over 6300 rows of data (about 7 minutes worth.) It was stop and go city driving with a few WOT launches from red lights. Some of my LTFTs were in the positive range, so it's obvious I need to do some tweaking.

On the other hand, just twenty minutes later, I was at a red light talking to some kids on my left when the car on my right smoked his FWD tires and took off. (The light had turned green.) I nailed it and those 275/35/18 Toyo's spun big time and smoked. I hit the rev limiter in 1st, shifted to 2nd, hit the rev limiter two more times, then shifted to 3rd. But long before needing 4th gear I had caught and passed what turned out to be a six cylinder Pontiac Sunfire.

What I'm saying is, my complaints may be unfounded. It is probably a matter of perception. When I think the car should do something dramatic, it disappoints me. But when I least expect it, this car does something cool like smoke those fat Toyo's.

I am DEFINITELY going to the 1/8th mile dragstrip this Friday, if we don't get rained out. Like Yellow Jacket said, the car's performance there will tell me a lot.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Great

FLORIT said:
I run 93 octane Ammoco or Exxon, even in my Grand Am. Gas is expensive, but I insist on top quality.

I took the GTO out last night with Dad's laptop connected. I collected over 6300 rows of data (about 7 minutes worth.) It was stop and go city driving with a few WOT launches from red lights. Some of my LTFTs were in the positive range, so it's obvious I need to do some tweaking.

On the other hand, just twenty minutes later, I was at a red light talking to some kids on my left when the car on my right smoked his FWD tires and took off. (The light had turned green.) I nailed it and those 275/35/18 Toyo's spun big time and smoked. I hit the rev limiter in 1st, shifted to 2nd, hit the rev limiter two more times, then shifted to 3rd. But long before needing 4th gear I had caught and passed what turned out to be a six cylinder Pontiac Sunfire.

What I'm saying is, my complaints may be unfounded. It is probably a matter of perception. When I think the car should do something dramatic, it disappoints me. But when I least expect it, this car does something cool like smoke those fat Toyo's.

I am DEFINITELY going to the 1/8th mile dragstrip this Friday, if we don't get rained out. Like Yellow Jacket said, the car's performance there will tell me a lot.
Let us know how you make out!

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
How often do you hit the limiter? I thought that was susposed to be a bad thing? I hit mine once. That was enough for me.\

Good luck at the strip.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have hit that rev limiter at least a half dozen times in 5000 miles. I'm an idiot. It IS a bad thing. In last night's incident, that little Sunfire caught me off guard and had about a two second head start. I was so eager to close on him that I did not pay attention to the tach or even the sound of the engine.

I guess using the rev limiter as a "shift light" is a bad idea, huh? :D

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
That is pretty much how I hit mine. Car was fairly new and a Mustang GT jumped me at a light with no warning. He had half a car leignth before I realised he was going. I bounced the limiter in 1st then recovered in 2nd. I caught him in 3rd and we hit trafic. That won't happen twice. If they jump w/out warning they can run alone..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts