LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting HID lights in my can next weekend and have been reading the arguments for/against disabling the DRLs.

Since the DRL power passes through a resistor to power the headlights at reduced brightness, using DRL with HID is not possible.

Instead of disabling the DRLs completely has anyone tried moving the line to power the yellow parking lights instead? It should have been this way to begin with, DRL headlights are completely unecessary.

BTW, I read people were having issues with the HID ballasts conducting ground and keeping the headlights on. The HIDs I got are the JSM kit and I tested the ballast covers with a meter and found that the ballast cases are a non-conductive material. The case screws are conducting to each other but I could not find any current passing from the screws to the connector wires so they should be good as well.

Dave

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
FYI, our DRL's ARE the parking lights. :)

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Getting power from the yellow lights sounds like a lot of work. Plus they are not fused properly or wired properly for the higher current that would be drawn by the hids i would imagine. You could use there voltage output as a signal to turn on a relay.

This is what I did. I just pulled the relay from the engine compartment labeled DRL. That prevents the lower voltage from reaching the HID ballasts and required no wiring, soldering, or creativity on my part :). Plus if you want to take them out and put the old ones back in all you have to do is put the relay back in. There is no worry about proper wiring, overcurrenting undersize wire from another source, or anything. The car knows no better. The only thing you will see is that the DRL green light on the gauge panel will light but your HIDs wont. That is until you turn on the headlights or the auto headlight sensor does if you have it in auto mode. Then the DRL light will go off(the fog light one will come on instead if you have the knob pulled out).

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:

My DRLs are the low beams. What's up with that???

Doc

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
DRL's engage thru a relay that hits the ground side of the low beams thru a resistor to reduce the current. This could be easily re routed to the Fog Lamps if you wanted DRL functionality. Obviously feeding the ballast of an HID with a resistor is a bad idea.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
CMNTMXR57 said:
This is the GTO you're talking about right? It powers the low beams at a reduced wattage with a resistor, which will likely damage a HID ballast as it will not have enough wattage to start the lights. I haven't seen a GTO work otherwise, the wiring schematics show the low beams wired to DRL.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LiqTenExp said:
Getting power from the yellow lights sounds like a lot of work. Plus they are not fused properly or wired properly for the higher current that would be drawn by the hids i would imagine. You could use there voltage output as a signal to turn on a relay.
On the GTO the lighting relays switch ground not the positive, the positives are run through the fuses. So basically you can use ground to power anything you want and not have to worry about the fuses and loads as every device is appropriately fused on the + side. True HIDs are low wattage regardless.

To move the DRLs to the yellow park lights requires moving the wire from the DRL resistor from the low beams to the parking lights ground line and using a diode on the power wire for when the parking lights are powered by the switched. The diode being to keep DRL from powering all the parking lights instead of just the two yellow marker lights up front.

I could just remove the relay and leave it out but since I'm going to HIDs, putting the relay back would never be an option if laws regarding DRLs change.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DevilYellow said:
..........the DRL's are a lower powered low beam on our cars

if you DO NOT take out the DRL relay you WILL fry your HID ballasts
Yep, that can't be stressed enough. The low wattage will put the HID ballast in a constant start loop which it is not meant to do. The ignitor will fry.

There seems to be only 3 options for this, kill DRL, re-route DRL to other lights, or remove the DRL resistor. I'm looking into routing DRL to the yellows and possibly removing the resistor if the yellows aren't bright enough. On my old Trans-AM the DRLs were amber at full brightness. I may put a switch in so I can control the DRLs, that way I can turn them on if the car is taken into the dealer.

My dealer tends to fix anything that seems off, when my old Trans was in they would replace the missing plastic lug nut caps on the wheels and one time they even gave me a new keyless entry transmitter cause the button icons had worn off the old one. If I take my GTO in and the DRLs don't work and they see the missing relay they'll probably go ahead and stick a new one in and damage the HID ballasts.

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
Sorry ;) its early in the morning I didnt see that part where you said that already.

I just yanked it, when I want to I drive during the day with the parking lights on....

I dont like the automatic DRL's anyways.... If I dont want any lights on it better let me do it!!! :)

I was the second GTO with an HID kit on the board, close second to Jared (blitzu) I have yet to have any problems.

·
Boz GTO
27 Posts
There seems to be only 3 options for this, kill DRL, re-route DRL to other lights, or remove the DRL resistor. I'm looking into routing DRL to the yellows and possibly removing the resistor if the yellows aren't bright enough. On my old Trans-AM the DRLs were amber at full brightness. I may put a switch in so I can control the DRLs, that way I can turn them on if the car is taken into the dealer.

I believe that the drl's on the T/As and Camaros were on the front turn signals and that when using them (turn signals), the drls would be disengaged. After the turn signals were finished, the drls would turn back on.:dunno:

·
Ken Bidwell CRNA
102 Posts
I just bypassed the DRL resister when I installed my HID's. Now my low beams are on all the time. I like the fact I can be seen, so hopefully they will get out of my way.

Ken

·
Registered
860 Posts
I just bypassed the DRL resister when I installed my HID's. Now my low beams are on all the time. I like the fact I can be seen, so hopefully they will get out of my way.

Ken
I think yours is one of the best solutions for someone to have HIDs and not run the parking light system at the same time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
When I bought my car used, the DRL relay had already been pulled. I intend to bypass the resistor and reinstall the relay. Frankly Im perfectly fine with having my head lights on all the time.
D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts