LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 GTO m6
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Factory sub is blown. Still works. Super annoyed.

I just wanna throw 2 8inch ssl 25$ Amazon subs...will these work alright on the factory amp? Or would I be better off using a set of 6.5 in 4 way speakers. Still will be cheap ones. Under 50$ or so.

I'm assuming both options are better than factory used off eBay.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Well first off, 8's wont work in the back dash unless you have adapters. In that case, cervin vega makes some 8's that sound phenomenal in the back dash, free air and even on low power. Don't let the price fool you and don't make the mistake of buying anything other than these.....I went through this already.... and wasted alot of $$$$

·
Registered
2004 GTO m6
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kfx guy, I like those subs. Fair pricing too. They will perform good with the factory amp?

I planned on either cutting the stock rings or buying a cheap(15$) set of mdf mounting rings.

Ideally if I couldn't cut the factory plastic ones, I had in my head, to mount the speakers to the mdf rings and then install with self tappers thru the trunk with a m12 drill, or combined with a dewalt 90° drill attachment if needed.....I haven't removed everything inside and the car and looked yet.

I'm not against just replacing the 6.5s with 6.5s. no experience with subs.. but I'm assuming that would be a waste? Lol even 8"s seem like a waste. Something is better than nothing I guess.....

I run the local auto shop. Have access to anything needed.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Kfx guy, I like those subs. Fair pricing too. They will perform good with the factory amp?

I planned on either cutting the stock rings or buying a cheap(15$) set of mdf mounting rings.

Ideally if I couldn't cut the factory plastic ones, I had in my head, to mount the speakers to the mdf rings and then install with self tappers thru the trunk with a m12 drill, or combined with a dewalt 90° drill attachment if needed.....I haven't removed everything inside and the car and looked yet.

I'm not against just replacing the 6.5s with 6.5s. no experience with subs.. but I'm assuming that would be a waste? Lol even 8"s seem like a waste. Something is better than nothing I guess.....

I run the local auto shop. Have access to anything needed.
I'm not sure, there has been a couple guys on here who used hte stock amp so maybe they can give you their input on it. The subs being in free air take alot less power to drive them.
I bought some serious 6.5's to put in originally, some tang bands......which was a waste of time. They sounded ok....but not what i wanted. I modifired my factory rings to fit. I'kk sell you those and the modified factory adapters if your interested. I chucked them up in my lathe and enlarged the flange, which would be extremely difficult and time consuming by hand.

In all honestly, you'd be impressed with the cerwin vega 8's.....theres several people on here thats went that route and the feedback I've gotten is they were happy with that setup. I have not had a single boxed sub in the trunk that could match the two 8's. I've tried alot of things too. even a long throw 12" $700 carbon fiber punch sub didn't sound as good.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
heres a thread with some interesting info....

·
Registered
2004 GTO m6
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ow yeah.

Subs came in. Cerwin Vega. Can't wait for the rings. :)

I'm trying to wait out for kfx sub rings. I found the file easily, I live in a very small town and the closest printer is a 2 hr round trip.

Really hope all goes well and can get this done soon. I went the route everyone recommended.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts