LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who had the cheapest skip shift disabler? I have tried utilizing CAGS and it DOES NOT save gas! Shifting to 4th around 15mph and using it to get to 40 uses much more gas than taking 1st to 20, 2nd to 30, 3rd to 40... and so on...

Am more than ready for this mod!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
This may not be the cheapest but I got mine from here.

To save on gas I try to keep it under 2k and go 1-3-5. I'm not sure why because I end up WOT at some time during the day :p

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mlc said:
To save on gas I try to keep it under 2k and go 1-3-5. I'm not sure why because I end up WOT at some time during the day :p
Thanks, I tried doing that as well but with a 3k limit and ended up with an apparent 15mpg or so.

I find using every gear per 10mph except for 1st which I bring up to 20 is the best. I am still experimenting though.

Have also found that the off the line starts is what murders the mpg. I have changed my mpg from 14-15 to 18-20. When the weekend sets in everything changes tho. Funny how that happens!

_DM

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
sure you can go cheap

Go to Radio Shack and pick up parts for less than a buck. I bought mine from SLP because I only want quality items for my hobby which is the goat.

Follow this link....

CAGS eliminator

You are right. The 1-4 shifting does not really save gas in the real world. It is nothing but a PITA. When you do a lot of city driving and stop and go driving with lots of shifting, your MPG will suffer horribly.

The only time you will really get good gas mileage is on a n open highway cruise control set at 70 and you are lumbering along at 1800 rpm's and getting about 24-25 mpg in the DIC display.

In the city? Forget it. Just install !CAGS and shift like a normal dude.

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
agreed....but make sure you attach it to the correct silenoid.... this is my first stick, though i have driven stick for a long time.... got my CAGS eliminator and yeah... the directions given were a little misleading, so it was first attached to the reverse lock out silenoid. well i knew something was a foot when the CAGS was still working and my reverse wouldnt work. so i looked high and low and found some pics of the correct silenoid, its the one right above the tranny fill plug and the bag ass orange sticker saying dont take out the fill plug. well it worked finaly and i got reverse back, but i pretty much fried the thing while it was pluged into the reverse lockout. so i emailed the company that i bought it from and told them about this, now they have a big pic showing the correct silenoid. now my tranny was acting up so i took off the CAGS eliminator and the car is going in on monday. not saying the CAGS eliminator had anything to do with the problem, but tell that to family members that did not want you to get this car in the first place and even more so did not want you adding anything on to a brand new car!

·
Former Owner but Still Here
451 Posts
Isn't the cheapest CAGS eliminator to simply turn off the Traction Control????

·
Former Owner but Still Here
451 Posts
I thought the CAGs was deactivated when you turn off the T/C... My salesman told me that, I tried it, and it worked. Perhaps it was coincidence??

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
gotzaGTO said:
...but tell that to family members that did not want you to get this car in the first place and even more so did not want you adding anything on to a brand new car!
You got one a them, too??? :gr_jest: :banghead:

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
Kahn Man said:
I thought the CAGs was deactivated when you turn off the T/C... My salesman told me that, I tried it, and it worked. Perhaps it was coincidence??
Coincidence would be my guess (along with a salesman full of... ummm... fecal matter?)

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Cheepest cags eliminator is to never shift below 4k in for the 1>2 shift. I didn't know I had cags for the first week I owned the car.. Then later my tuner tuned it out and asked me if I minded. I never noticed anyway.

DMonty,

Have you tried a hard an fast 1>2 then gentle 3 and 5? Mileage is a time over distance over fuel used thing. If you rocket to 50 or 60 in 5 seconds or so @ 6 mph then drop it into 6th for 27 t0 32 Mph for an hour drive... Seems better than easing it through every 10 MPH @ 9 to 15 MPH for 2 minutes or so.. Just a thought.
I drive 1>2>5(6) a lot and get 15 to 18 regularly depending on the legnth of my drives. If I do a long HW stint I ava @ 22 to 23

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Blitzu said:
You want the cheapest???? How about just find someone with HPtuners and have them eliminate it for FREE :D If you were close to me I would do it.
i thought HP tuners was "married" to one vehicle at a time. unless you buy "multi user". am i wrong?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts