LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Wanna Take A Ride?
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Still have the check engine light on.. first came on last mon-night after refueling the car. Thought it was from not securing the gas cap. So I went by the dealership today to see if they could clear it.. they did a diagnostic and it said Crankshaft Position something or other. What's that about? I did a web search on gm codes and found.. "Crankshaft Position Sensor.. Probable Cause: The reference signal from the crankshaft sensor is intermittent. Inspect PCM harness connector and crankshaft sensor wire harness for shorts of a damaged harness.
I don't know what car or yr car that's from but hope it's no big deal.

What's Crankshaft Position? Cam related?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
The CKPS sensor is a Hall effect sensor and is notorious for going out. It tells the PCM what position the crankshaft is in in relation to the Camshaft's CPS (Camshaft Position Sensor). These two sensors help determine initial timing advance or retard with feedback from the myraid of other senors on board.

Was your engine running rough slightly?

It's under warranty and shouldn't take them long to replace it.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
THat's a symptom of the CKPS failing then. It can't accurately time the vehicle, therefore it's over compensates by increasing the idle to keep it running.

No harm is being done if you get it fixed right away, just poor emissions.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Just out of curiosity, was the code;

P0335/P0336 Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Circuit?

or

P0336 Crankshaft Posistion (CKP) Sensor Performance?

The reason I ask, is that the sensor circuit may be a fault in the wiring somewhere, whereas, the second one is more related/isolates it to the CKP sensor itself.

·
Wanna Take A Ride?
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CMNTMXR57 said:
Just out of curiosity, was the code;

P0335/P0336 Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Circuit?

or

P0336 Crankshaft Posistion (CKP) Sensor Performance?

The reason I ask, is that the sensor circuit may be a fault in the wiring somewhere, whereas, the second one is more related/isolates it to the CKP sensor itself.
Not sure CM.. but i think it was sensor circuit.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Only time I ever had a CKPS failure, car simply refused to start. 91 Cavalier Z24.

·
Disaster
339 Posts
stormguy03 said:
Well, just got the car out of service.. turned out to just be a computer glitch or something. They reset it, drove it around the block.. check engine light never came back on.

And it was "Crankshaft Position Sensor" that came up. Thankfully nothing major! :D
Good to hear :bubbrub :drink:

·
OIF 09.02
22 Posts
Just got this code thrown on my 05 goat. I already bought the sensor but I'm not sure if I need to do a case learn or can i just put it up on a lift and replace the sensor. I have an extended warranty and if it needs a case learn I'll just have to go somewhere but I'd rather just replace it myself if it isn't needed

·
LSX mechanic
323 Posts
Remember that when replacing this sensor you need to do a crank position re-learn in the PCM. This can be done with Hptuners, EFI Live or a Tech 2 scanner. Some other snap on and matco scanners can do it too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts