·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have one? looking for some feedback before i buy 1

·
Seriously?
1,724 Posts
I've always wanted one. Haven't convinced myself, yet.
I'm in the same boat... looking at AliExpress there are some good deals, but also some uncertainty. Thinking hard on one...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have one. Made by Vertronix. I'm convinced it is literally the same one they have in GM dealerships.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Got one from ali at least three years ago. Works great.
Came in really handy when the wifes old 2nd gen cts-v had stabilitrak issues.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Got one from ali at least three years ago. Works great.
Came in really handy when the wifes old 2nd gen cts-v had stabilitrak issues.
Does it require any subscription or GM license purchase, like AllData or something....or is a self-contained, ready to go tool?

·
Registered
375 Posts
If you want to up date modules you have to subscribe to TDS which is 40 bucks for a single vin for 2 years and then make all the connections between the pc/tech2/car work.

If you just want to scan/clear codes and operate individual relays, switches, devices and look at every parameter your car has then its ready to go out of the box.

·
Seriously?
1,724 Posts
I have one. Made by Vertronix. I'm convinced it is literally the same one they have in GM dealerships.
Vertronix is the manufacturer of the genuine Tech 2. I think Bosch is the parent company. It is the exact one they use in GM service departments.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I’ve been using one I bought on Ali Express for three years with no problem. I bought it so I could work on my two Saab 9-3s as you have to use one for programming keys and I used to to switch an ECU recently. Mine came with both a Saab and GM card so I can use it with my GTOs also but other than looking at things and clearing codes I haven’t needed it yet for the GTOs.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
bought this instead

27% if the reviews are 1-star, with at least a couple talking about questionable software or viruses being detected in the software that was provided. I think I'll pass.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
27% if the reviews are 1-star, with at least a couple talking about questionable software or viruses being detected in the software that was provided. I think I'll pass.
for the price its worth trying, worse case i return for refund(thank you amazon).
Ill have it tomorrow and ill follow-up and let you know how it goes

those 1-star reviews are all software related, im a computer tech so i should be able to handle a software crack, comes down to user error

·
Seriously?
1,724 Posts
for the price its worth trying, worse case i return for refund(thank you amazon).
Ill have it tomorrow and ill follow-up and let you know how it goes

those 1-star reviews are all software related, im a computer tech so i should be able to handle a software crack, comes down to user error
Interested in your testing and opinion on this. Getting closer to buying a Tech 2 clone, but this cheaper alternative could sway me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts