LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hopefully my link works....
Ive posted before about a chirping noise in my "engine bay"....
my buddy said it was from my rear end. I HOPE NOT
i seriously hope its not that and its a pulley. If anyone has had this same sound and had a resolution then please share.
the goat isn't acting funny or isn't running anything from the normal but this noise is annoying and i hope its not a big problem..
FYI, its only when I'm 1/2 WOT. it chirps like a mofo.
any info will help.
thanks

·
Banned
134 Posts
Why didnt you just post in the orginal thread instead of making a new one? You should work on your sentence structure too. Im willing to bet it is your tensioner making the chirping sound.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry for the delay..here it is!!

Its more noticeable when your in the car and the "chirp/squeal" ONLY happens when its in gear and moving forward. please help lol

GTOROB- I sure hope not!

·
Bolt Extractor
1,438 Posts
^Video is private dawg!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I heard the radar chirp at first and thought you were trolling lol. But it sounds pretty similar to when my drive tensioner pulley went out. It would make noise at idle and certain rpm ranges. I'd start by changing bolth belts, a/c tensioner and idler pulley, as well as accessory drive and tensioner pullies. My accessory tensioner pulley was shot, and fixed my problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Remove serpentine belt, spin pulleys by hand. The bad one will squeak or grind. You can also run the engine for a moment with the belt off to verify that the noise accessory drive related.

·
Bolt Extractor
1,438 Posts
Yeah, I thought belts/pullies when I heard it. A simple test for pullies is take the belt off and spin the pullies by hand. If you hear ANY sounds at all (grinding, chirping, squealing, dragging, etc.), then the bearings need to be repacked (or you can get a new pulley from an auto parts store for $20 or so). Pullies should be dead silent and spin freely, as in spin around a few times after you free-wheel it by hand.

Your belt could just be greasy, as well. You can clean the belt and try that first. Or if the belt is just plain worn out, replace it :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the feedback fellas!
i took the belt off spun all the pulleys by hand and what do ya no....my A/C idler pulley sounded and grinded funny..
i have new belts on since i initially thought the "chirping" was that, so i ran to 3 different auto stores and no one had that pulley in stock regardless they were charging $50. went up to napa and they had what i needed for $20. :)
i hope to change it out next weekend depending on weather and how much of a pain in the arse that torx bolt will give me!! got me some PB Blaster so ill spray it every night until the weekend.
im just glad yall think its pullies as well and not my rear end!! cuz my bank would start crying if it was.

·
Registered
278 Posts
thanks for the feedback fellas!
i took the belt off spun all the pulleys by hand and what do ya no....my A/C idler pulley sounded and grinded funny..
i have new belts on since i initially thought the "chirping" was that, so i ran to 3 different auto stores and no one had that pulley in stock regardless they were charging $50. went up to napa and they had what i needed for $20. :)
i hope to change it out next weekend depending on weather and how much of a pain in the arse that torx bolt will give me!! got me some PB Blaster so ill spray it every night until the weekend.
im just glad yall think its pullies as well and not my rear end!! cuz my bank would start crying if it was.
Ah yeah forgot about that torx bolt... stupid that they didn't use a standard hex. Anyway, glad that was the problem and glad we could help!

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So back to square one...I changed the pulley (btw I was surprised at how easy that torx bolt comes out when you prep it for a week with PB blaster and use the right tools) but anyway I changed the pulley, took it for a test drive and everything checked out until about a half hour later. THE CHIRP IS BACK!!!!! Fml! In a pointless rage I went and bought the tension pulley, idler pulley and ac tensioner pulley. I changed the tensioner pulley yesterday and the chirp is still there. I'm changing the other 2 in about a half hour. If this doesn't work then I'm stumped. I really refuse to take the goat to an auto shop unless its something major. And I hope it's not.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Mine was major. #5 exhaust lifter failed- ate the cam. So the wife has no choice but to allow repair (upgrade). LS3 top end going on- should be done in 2 weeks. Waiting on the cam to be shipped. Good luck in finding your chirp and I hope it is simple and inexpensive- somebody has to have a good day around here.

·
Bolt Extractor
1,438 Posts
Hmm, hmmmmmm

Can you "feel" the chirp, like as a vibration/chatter in the car? It sounds like your car has headers (sounds nice!). I'm wondering if your headers aren't rubbing something when the engine torques over. Did you cut off the angle-brace studs on the driver side? It almost sounds like once the engine torques over the chirp comes (headers hitting the stud or steering rack?).

Please share your mod list so we know what we're dealing :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts