LS1GTO Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
so i replaced all the tensioner and idler pulleys and its still there. really ruined my day being that my a/c tensioner pulley was actually shot and i got my hopes up to thinking that was my issue all along.

Rich-Tripower. no i do not, everything's mostly stock.

paulz28- when i bought my car i was told it was all stock. everything under the hood is stock. i replaced all the spark plugs/wires and pulleys ect but no real bolt ons and no headers (thanks for the complement tho lol) also a cat back Kooks exhaust. maybe my buddy is right and it is coming from the rear of the car but i have no clue what it could be. would my diff "chirp" like that? i cant feel the chirp but its noticeable .....im stumped guys.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I had a similar faint chirp coming from the back of the engine. Almost all the lobes on my cam were chewed up.

Is the noise audible if you pop the hood? Can you trace the sound to any particular area?

·
GR-RRR!
5,928 Posts
On my car I repacked all the bearings in every idler and tensioner pulley and still had squeeks. I replaced every pulley and still had squeeks. I put on belts that were 1/2" shorter (thus making the belt tension tighter) and the squeek went away.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
i can't trace the sound cuz it only chirps when its in gear and about 1/2 WOT.

Rich Tri-power, what size belts do you have? im thinking maybe i can try that.

im about ready to just take it in and have the "professionals" look at it lol
It's so weird because the "chirp" isn't effecting the performance of the goat. its just annoying and id like to roll off a stop with a pure ls2 roar instead of a annoying chirp thats definitely noticeable...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'm bumping this..

Could it be the crank pulley?
And if so, what is everyone's thoughts on an underdrive pulley..worth it?
Im thinking this might be the problem but shouldn't it have gotten worse since its been a few months?

There's no slack in power, and I haven't taken it to a shop because of that and I've kind of gotten used to it lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm bumping this..

Could it be the crank pulley?
And if so, what is everyone's thoughts on an underdrive pulley..worth it?
Im thinking this might be the problem but shouldn't it have gotten worse since its been a few months?

There's no slack in power, and I haven't taken it to a shop because of that and I've kind of gotten used to it lol

I would think if it was a pulley, you would be able to hear it squeak anytime you are in the RPM range that it occurs, and not just when you are in gear and under power. In addition it sounds like the chirp changes speed based upon your speed, and not RPM, in the video you posted.

I'm not sure what it could be, but I don't think it's a pulley squeaking.

·
150k club
1,606 Posts
If this is a 2004, then the straps that are welded across the rear exhaust pipes can chirp an scream at times when they are cracked ( I had two like that ).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'll have to re-check the exhaust. It sounds almost as if there was a bird chirping under the hood.
And correction I did take it in once because I was spilling coolant everywhere and I asked them after they found the problem to take my car for a test drive and get on it a bit to try and see if they woul have an idea.
They said there was a hole in my radiator hose thus spilling coolant and spraying onto my belts making the infamous chirp. I called bs an asked them to show me a demonstration.
They refused.
I got my car out of there read a few more threads, changed my radiator cap and it hasn't spilled coolant since. My hoses are fine.

It's seems to me that it's one of those things that very difficult to diagnose.

·
Unaware of loss, Nor of gain
8,193 Posts
Does it chirp only while in motion or when you rev it up as well? Did you use a stethoscope to help isolate the location? Detailed information will get more responses.

Is this your dd? I imagine if it was a lifter your car would not still be running 8+ months later.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Does it chirp only while in motion or when you rev it up as well? Did you use a stethoscope to help isolate the location? Detailed information will get more responses.

Is this your dd? I imagine if it was a lifter your car would not still be running 8+ months later.
It's only when the car is in motion, never when sitting.
Can't use a stethoscope cuz the car has to be moving and yes it's my dd.
it seems the only way to be by the engine while under load would be a dyno right?

Here's what I experience..
Lets say I'm at a stop light. Cars in 1st light turns green and I take off. If I'm from idle to 1700 and ease the acceleration I get no chirp. If I hit it from 2k and up the chirp is definitely noticeable. And the Chirp matches the RPMs.
If I sit there parked an rev it up it will not chirp. Not one bit but as soon as I take off its there.
It's been there for months now, I've just learned to accelerate to where it doesn't happen.
No loss in power- just flat out embarrassing

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I just started getting the same kind of chirp, too. Only happens when in gear and going; picks up with speed; no loss in power. Took my belts off and the A/C pulleys are shot so I'll just be running it without the A/C belt until the new pulleys come in.

If it's not the pulleys, :dunno: Maybe I'll take it to JBA and have them check it out.

I agree with you on the embarrassing part.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I just started getting the same kind of chirp, too. Only happens when in gear and going; picks up with speed; no loss in power. Took my belts off and the A/C pulleys are shot so I'll just be running it without the A/C belt until the new pulleys come in.

If it's not the pulleys, :dunno: Maybe I'll take it to JBA and have them check it out.

I agree with you on the embarrassing part.
Do you happen to have a video you can upload?
Cuz I changed my ac tensioner, idler and serpentine tensioner, idler.
Still no dice
does it chirp when your parked and revving it? Or is it still chirping since u took off the ac belt?

·
Never Ask Permission
703 Posts
that is for sure something "in" the exhaust making that noise... you can hear it coincide with the excel of the rev

You're not going to fall for a potato in the tailpipe? - Eddie Murphy

·
Registered
319 Posts
Had something similar on my 05. Turned out to be the ac tensioner, changed the pulley first, didn't help. Remove ac belt and drive the car. If it goes away, replace entire ac tensioner assembly.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts