LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my black on black GTO this week.

When I asked the dealer about aftermarket wheels, he suggested that I consider having the stock wheels chromed. The cost would be about $100-$125 a wheel and take about a week. He sends them to Colorado, and I am in Montana.

The dealer regularly has polished aluminum, stock Cadillac wheels chromed for his new inventory. He says that by having the stock wheels chromed, I wouldn't have to worry about wheel hop, balance, fender well and offset problems that I may have with aftermarket wheels.

It seems like an inexpensive way to improve the look of the car--even though it woundn't look as nice as the pictures on this forum.

What do you think?

Does anyone with graphic software have the capability to show what a chromed stock wheel would look like on a black car?

·
Registered
308 Posts
While I think chromed stock wheels would look good, I bailed on this idea for a couple of reasons. The first has been my experience with the chroming process. When it comes to wheels, I don't have confidence in the vast majority of shops. I've seen too much bad chroming that starts to evidence itself a few months down the road.

I did contact Stocton Wheel in Stocton, CA. Can't recall the price ($250 or so per wheel) They express a lot of confidence in their shop. I'd be inclined to trust them just because of their reputation in the street rod world.

Reason #2 is the time. With a good shop, you'll probably lay your wheels up for at least a month.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Chrome Powder Coating

i HAVE HAD SOME GREAT SUCCESS WITH A CHROME POWDER COATING. IT IS BACKED ON LIKE REGUALR POWDER COATING AND BETTER RESISITANCE TO
CORROSION. HAVE SOME CUSTOMERS USING TRUCKS THAT BACK UP INTO THE OCEAN TO LAUNCH THEIR SALMON BOATS. AFTER A YEAR OR SO, THEY STILL LOOK PERFECT. REAR BRAKES LOOK LIKE @#$%^. IT IS ALITTLE MORE EXPENSIVE. IN OUR AREA ITS AROUND $175-$200 PER WHEEL. PLUS THEY CAN TINT THE CHROME AND MAKE IT LOOK ALITTLE DARKER IF YOU WANT. IN FACT I PREFER THE DARKER LOOK BECAUSE IT LOOKS MUCH RICHER. ON A BLACK GTO, IT WOULD LOOK AWESOME. :)

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I really, really don't like the black GTO's with chrome (or polished) rims. Go graphite or black, IMHO.
Dan

·
Registered
541 Posts

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Those are definitely chromed factory wheels, put surely not from the factory. Either they had them chromed (possible) or, God forbid, they PAINTED them with that "chrome in a can". If it's the latter, forget it.

I gotta admit though, those look good.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I realise you GTO owners have 17" wheels fitted from the factory. These same 17" wheels are fitted to our GM Holden SS GEN III V8 utes over here. HOWEVER there is an 18" version made which is identical to the 17"s and it's stock fittment to the GM Holden VY SS GEN III sedan. Reason GMH did this was due to the load rating of our ute.

If it helps anyone out I don't mind giving the part number and you should be able to order them straight over the spare parts counter at any GM dealer. I know some people love the look of the wheel but would like to go to 18"s. At least this way your still keeping that "stock" look on your GTO's.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had my wheels chromed by the dealer before I picked my car up. Paid $250 per wheel to have it done. The price included all labor to remove tires/remount tires/wheel balance/re-install. Maybe a little expensive but I like the factory wheels and they look awsome chrome.

Carmen

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
must be a good chrome shop here in Cleveland, my dealer had a black GTO with chromed wheels, they took them off and had them done by a local shop. I would have gotten mine done but didn't think they'd look good on my yellow jacket. Oh yeah they also wanted $1500 for them. I figured I could get aftermarket 18"s for about that, maybe even have a few bucks left over for rubber.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
cfp40 said:
I had my wheels chromed by the dealer before I picked my car up. Paid $250 per wheel to have it done. The price included all labor to remove tires/remount tires/wheel balance/re-install. Maybe a little expensive but I like the factory wheels and they look awsome chrome.

Carmen

Its hard to tell what those wheels look like from that pic.

I would like to see a bigger pic.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Chrome shops, where are you...?

1stChildhood said:
On ebay--- new red/red with CHROME wheels...
This is what I WISH were coming on mine...can't find anything that says where/why/how/who they got like this. Ad makes you think these are factory original. Guess I can dream they made a production change!!!!
Does anyone know what is going on?
Maybe I ought to call them and ask...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7244&item=2474842805&rd=1#ebayphotohosting
I like the factory wheel stying and want to keep the original size, but I sure would love to have a chromed set.
It just occurred to me, since there are getting to be a number of new GTO's on the street, I wish a (reputable) chrome shop would buy a few sets of factory wheels and offer an exchange program. I would pay a couple hundred per wheel if they would ship me a set chromed, and I then ship my stock wheels back to them. They'd probably have to do some kind of deposit plan to make sure they got the factory set back, like a credit card charge or something, then a refund when wheels were received.
What I WON'T do is be without the car for a month... hey chromers, there's $$$ to be made here.........!!!!!!!! Just a thought.

·
Registered
213 Posts
speed_demon_freak said:
Its hard to tell what those wheels look like from that pic.

I would like to see a bigger pic.
Trying to send a better pic but not having any luck.
Carmen

·
Registered
213 Posts
tbone3424 said:
who chromed those wheels for you and how much were they?

The dealer I purchased my GTO from also owns a plating shop. They charged me $250 per wheel ($1000 total) which included removal, remounting and balancing of the tires.

Carmen

·
Registered
318 Posts
If someone wants their OEM's chromed, but can't be without their ride, I could work something out with maybe shipping my OEMs to the chrome jobber
and then having the recipient ship their OEMs to me for replacement when they receive the chromed ones back. Just a thought. Contact me if interested.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
radkon said:
must be a good chrome shop here in Cleveland, my dealer had a black GTO with chromed wheels, they took them off and had them done by a local shop. I would have gotten mine done but didn't think they'd look good on my yellow jacket. Oh yeah they also wanted $1500 for them. I figured I could get aftermarket 18"s for about that, maybe even have a few bucks left over for rubber.
Which dealer? Was it Pete Baur? The GM there told me he was thinking of sending some wheels out for chroming.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
cfp40 said:
The dealer I purchased my GTO from also owns a plating shop. They charged me $250 per wheel ($1000 total) which included removal, remounting and balancing of the tires.

Carmen
What dealer?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts