LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
VFR GTO
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in hardwiring an iPod charger into the cigarette lighter port and was wondering if anyone has messed with doing a project like this. I looked around and didn't really see anything by searching. Honestly, I'm just wondering if there's a way to get the cigarette lighter out and get to the wires without having to remove the entire console. If anyone has any info I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
James

·
VFR GTO
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link but I think we're thinking of something else. I'd like to just hardwire a second cigarette outlet port to the original port and have that second one sitting under the console. I'm going to hook an iPod charger to that and have it hidden. The only thing you'll see is the charger end that hooks into the iPod and I'm working on a way to hide that when it's not in use. Thanks for the information though. I appreciate the help.

Thanks,
James

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
noky-goat said:
I'd like to just hardwire a second cigarette outlet port to the original port and have that second one sitting under the console.
Thanks,
James
Are you wanting to tag the existing cigar lighter plug in the storage bin in the center console?

There is a better way. stand by.

EDIT: I hate it when old threads get archived. I'll ahve to get ont he mods about letting threads in the lounge from 9 months ago stick around while useful tech gets pulled off the search button.

Here is the deal. The GTO is wired from the factory for three cigar lighters. One under the radio, one in the storage bin and -> one for the back seat ashtray <-.

To get to the three pin connector for the rear seat ashtray, climb in the back seat with a #2 phillips. Undo the two screws that hold the rear cover of the center console to the center console. There is one each left and right. They are very low and almost to the rear edge of the center floor console.

With the two screws out, raise the rear cover from the bottom, it is sort of hinged, sort of clipped. Make sure the door to the storage bin is closed.

Reach under the floor of the center storage bin, while still in the back seat. The harddrive sized box bolted to the tranny tunnel is the SDM or airbag module. There is a camlock on the connector for that, relax already. Sitting on top of the SDM is a coil of three wires, each about 9" long with a pin connector on it. Undo the twists and uncoil the three wires. This is the conenctor for the rear seat ashtray. It will reach all the way under the storage bin, but there won't be much freedom left to play with, better to make your connections back here. Pinouts same as front cigar lighter connector referenced above.

I swear I am going to photograph this someday and nominate my own thread to the KB so I don't have to type this again. I am fixing to go on a rant about why in the world would we have a search button if the good info we already have isn't available to the people who try to use it.

WHERE is the thread started by Shu looking for a convenient place to power the switch for his exhaust cutouts???

·
VFR GTO
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. There are a few things that I'd like to have clarification on before I start this evening. First, you mentioned a coil of three wires. Are there three physical wires running to one connector, or are there three bundles of wiring harness wires that I have to deal with? Next, with the wires identified, do you know which ones (color wise) I should use to tap into for my project? Finally, with the console unscrewed at the rear can I lift it enough to move the wires toward the front of the car or will the entire console have to come out. Thanks for the help so far. You'll make my project easier this evening!

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
noky-goat said:
First, you mentioned a coil of three wires. Are there three physical wires running to one connector, or are there three bundles of wiring harness wires that I have to deal with?
Three wires leading to one three pin connector. The 'extra' length is taken out of the assembled car by coiling the three wires through about 700° rotation, then the connector is twisted around the coil a couple time to hold it all together.

noky-goat said:
Next, with the wires identified, do you know which ones (color wise) I should use to tap into for my project?
black = ground, yellow = hot. Do not use the 2 colored wire, it is a flea power source for the wee tiny LED ring around the rear cigar lighter.

noky-goat said:
Finally, with the console unscrewed at the rear can I lift it enough to move the wires toward the front of the car or will the entire console have to come out.
You will only need two remove the 2 screws holding the floor console rear cover to the floor console. The only piece you 'lift' is the rear cover, the bulk of the floor console stays in place. You now have access to the wiring for a cogar lighter. Probably you want to follow the link you'll find by following the link in post two this thread. I am still not certain where you intend to mount your iPod charger.

·
VFR GTO
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent! Thanks for all the help. I'm planning on working on everything tonight and will keep you posted on the progress. If I remember I'll take my camera along and post something up here about how to do the job.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Personally, I wired my charger directly to the fuse panel by taking it apart and soldering speaker wire to the pos and neg poles...then reassembling it. It looks like a normal charger, except instead of the pos contact in the front, it has wires coming out. Anyway, you can wire it wherever you want, but you don't need to buy a cig adapter.

·
VFR GTO
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the great info swmn! :) Because of your info I didn't have to cut into any wiring harness or really alter the factor set up at all. I took pictures throughout and as soon as I get a few minute I'll post the how-to. Thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts