LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. As I posted in my thread two days ago, I finally got my car. Last night I washed the car with some hot water and dish soap to try to strip everything off the paint. Well that really didn't do much. Everywhere on the car where there was a plastic protector cover is completely smooth. Everywhere there wasn't a cover, is very gritty and filmy, including the windows. I am thinking that if I clay bar the whole thing that the bar will help take all the roughness and filminess off the surfaces. What do you all think? Should I clay bar it or should I try and use some bug and tar remover or if anyone has any other suggestions. I appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Not an official sponsor!
65 Posts
Definitely clay bar it. The only way to go. It fixed some really bad overspray on the runners for me, and came out smooth as a baby's a$$ all around. It shouldn't really matter which bar you use (mothers, meguires), just don't drop it, if you do, DO NOT use it anymore. Should take a good two hours to bar the entire vehicle....make sure it's spotless b4 you start as well.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I just used a claybar for the first time about 3 weeks ago and it was well worth it, I would say go with the Zaino kit though, I was very very satisified with how my car turned out.
Tom

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the in put you all. Like I said, I washed it last night and it's still in the garage so it should be good to go for tonight. I'll probably use either the Mother's or Meguiar's kit since it's available locally. I'll have to see how it turns out.

·
1 of 262
10,343 Posts
QSM6SPD said:
Thanks for the in put you all. Like I said, I washed it last night and it's still in the garage so it should be good to go for tonight. I'll probably use either the Mother's or Meguiar's kit since it's available locally. I'll have to see how it turns out.
Use plenty of detail spray and don't ever let the clay bar bind to the surface; use very light pressure.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Clay It Again, Sam

QSM6SPD said:

I like the Mothers kit a little better than the Meguiars .... though both are fine and I would use which ever one is available.

I usually cut the bar in half so that I have a back-up in case I get careless and drop the bar I'm using.

Also, remember that the Clay Bar treatment is going to strip off any wax that's on the car so be ready to put on a fresh coat. The Mother's kit will come with a small bottle of their Carnauba Cleaner Wax. You can use it or just use your favorite wax that you have on hand.

·
Official Dragon Straightner
6,443 Posts
I had so much crap in my paint that I used 2 claybars.
It took me over 6 hours and I actually put some fineline scratches in the paint
because there was so much dried treesap in the claybar.
Note to self: If the claybar makes scratching noises dispose of, and buy a new one.
I have gone over the paint twice with pre wax cleaner and gotten the fineline scratches out.
The car looks better than when I bought it almost 2 years ago.

·
Registered
611 Posts
you might want to stop using dish soap for starters. I dont know why so many people use dish soap on their cars. Dish soap is not good for clearcoat and the paint on the GTO is obviously not to good to begin with. I have seen many cars in the past begin to get small pits in the paint because the owner used dish soap to clean the car. Just my piece of advice.

·
05' CGM GTO
3,548 Posts
I used it for the first time last week, and even my cyclone grey had much more of a shine. Car was Freshly clean yet after 1 minute of whiping that side of the clay went from white to black. CGM doesnt have as much shine as a black, red, or blue but after i was finished i was still surprised. its almost like quicksilver, almost always looks the same. Only the owner of hte car can tell the difference. With black though, if it rained last night everyone knows :D

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RogerRamjet said:
you might want to stop using dish soap for starters. I dont know why so many people use dish soap on their cars. Dish soap is not good for clearcoat and the paint on the GTO is obviously not to good to begin with. I have seen many cars in the past begin to get small pits in the paint because the owner used dish soap to clean the car. Just my piece of advice.
I don't use dish soap every time I wash a car. Actually, I never use it. I just used it this time to aid in getting everything off the paint. I use Mequiar's Gold Class Car Wash.

But I clayed it last night and let me tell you it made one heck of a difference. The paint is so smooth now it's ridiculous. Now I just have to polish, seal and wax and then she should be good to go. Once I get the thing all cleaned up, I will post some pictures. Thanks for all the advice. And yeah, it took me about 5 hours.

·
05 Torrid Red Pontiac GT0 6MT
1,096 Posts
RogerRamjet said:
Using dish soap is NOT for every wash! It's best used only when you want to strip off any wax on the car. (like before the first time you put Zaino on!) Specialty car wash formulas are designed NOT to remove wax.

It's not necessarily the soap that is causing the pits, its the fact that any protection has been removed from the paint.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts