LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Goatless
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm out using a clay bar on my car for the first time, and it's going pretty good; not as hard as I imagined, but I thought I'd ask for some advice...
I didn't see anything in the instructions about whether it matters if I go circular, straight, or any other pattern. Also, is there a way to feel or hear when you have done an area good enough? So far, I'm finding a spot here and there when I get done with an area, and I'm just going back and hitting it again. What a difference in the feel of the finish.
If anyone has some advice to make it faster/easier, let me know.

Thanx,

Keith

·
Registered
193 Posts
I used the Mothers clay system and it said to go back and forth in one direction then back in forth in the other direction, while keeping the area lubricated with their spray.

Worked for me.

GranTurismoOmologato

·
2004 Pontiac GTO
167 Posts
I usually split the clay bar into 2 pieces...one for each "side" of the car...Continuously rework/kneed the clay bar into a new, flat form, presenting a fresh clay surface for the next panel.

Use PLENTY of detail spray to keep the surface wet at all times. The clay bar will drag on the surface if it is not wet enough, depositing onto the surface the same contaminents you just picked up. Work in a relatively small area, like one fender or door at a time, half the hood, etc...Use a back and forth motion, up & down, then side to side to ensure complete coverage. Wipe the area dry with a clean, terry towel or microfiber towel. Do not let the detail spray dry on the car. If it does, do that section again!

After claying, it is recommended to wash the entire car with Dawn liquid soap or similar, to ensure that the surface is completely clean and free of any wax or contaminents before you polish/wax the paint...

After a couple hours of elbow grease, the end result should be a finish that is as smooth as glass with no rough spots...Do every inch of the car, top to bottom, including the wheels and windows. You will not believe the crap that comes off of the car! Good luck, and have fun :)

·
Goatless
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx guys, I'll do my wheels and windows tomorrow, wash it and get the last 3 coats of Zaino on it for the year. They say that you can clay the car three times with one bar, but after seeing the amount of crap that I got off of it in one time, I don't think I want to chance it.

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I tried my Meguires clay-bay yesterday. I'm not sure I'm doing it right. The thing just slid around and didn't seem to pick anything up. Unfortunately, I've already waxed the car once before learning about clay-bars. I used some orange concentrate cleaner in my soap when I washed it to try to strip the wax to clay under it. I did a small 2-foot square and gave up. Like I said, the clay just slid around.

I asked Dear Old Dad about the clay. He said it was a super-fine rubbing compound and he'd NEVER think of rubbing a brand new finish. Is he right? I thought the clay just absorbed the bugs and bird-mess.

THREE COATS OF WAX? Really?

I'm SO lazy when it comes to this stuff and I have NO time. I live in an appt with no garden hose or even a spicket. We're not supposed to wash cars on the property. I used a bucket of soap and some buckets of water out of the sink to clean her this weekend. What are your thoughts on taking it to a detail shop as opposed to doing it yourself?

J---

·
Registered
26 Posts
I read the article on clay on Zaino's website. I was doing it right. It says the clay should glide like a puck on ice. I'm going to wash the car with Dawn twice to strip the wax then clay, then I need to cover her (CarMotorsports cover I'm thinking) so the local rednecks will stop spitting on it, or the local dog urinating, or whatever that crap is all over my dern rear end!! (yes, a little hostility)

John

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
HitManJ said:
I tried my Meguires clay-bay yesterday. I'm not sure I'm doing it right. The thing just slid around and didn't seem to pick anything up. Unfortunately, I've already waxed the car once before learning about clay-bars. I used some orange concentrate cleaner in my soap when I washed it to try to strip the wax to clay under it. I did a small 2-foot square and gave up. Like I said, the clay just slid around.

I asked Dear Old Dad about the clay. He said it was a super-fine rubbing compound and he'd NEVER think of rubbing a brand new finish. Is he right? I thought the clay just absorbed the bugs and bird-mess.

THREE COATS OF WAX? Really?

I'm SO lazy when it comes to this stuff and I have NO time. I live in an appt with no garden hose or even a spicket. We're not supposed to wash cars on the property. I used a bucket of soap and some buckets of water out of the sink to clean her this weekend. What are your thoughts on taking it to a detail shop as opposed to doing it yourself?

J---
I am lazy too and from what I read on here Zaino is a full time job.

·
Wooohooo
3,381 Posts
Dbluegoat said:
I am lazy too and from what I read on here Zaino is a full time job.
Zaino is not a full time job. Its a 2 day job the first time you use the entire system. Then a coat every 4-5 months. Thats it. With normal wax, to stay looking good and retain the uv properties etc you will do that way more often. If you want the paint to look as it does now with the same brilliance and gloss two plus years from now, lazy or not you would do it.
I do a coat of Zaino every 3 months or so ( only by my choice ) and my paint will look brand new 5 years or more from now.
Guys it all boils down to what you want your car to look like. If you want it fast, you mod. If you want it to blind people with the glare from the paint, you Zaino. Its just that simple.

·
Goatless
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It took me two days. Saturday I clayed the car, and Sunday I Zaino'd it. I'm in Michigan and the mornings are cool now, so I did wait until the afternoon to start. Not my idea of fun, but I sure do like the results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts