LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody here done it? What's the best method? I went to Murray's Auto Parts and they have a product (don't remember the name) that is a 2-1 cleaner-detailer. I just have a little dirt, but I would like to keep my engine spotless ...

Any suggestions?
Gianni

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've always used SimpleGreen in the past, but it WILL strip your wax if it gets outside of the engine bay... they spray off with a hose. Pressure wash works best, but isn't necessary.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Gianni D said:
Has anybody here done it? What's the best method? I went to Murray's Auto Parts and they have a product (don't remember the name) that is a 2-1 cleaner-detailer. I just have a little dirt, but I would like to keep my engine spotless ...

Any suggestions?
Gianni
For loose dirt I use either a 1.5 inch paint brush or acid brush for small areas.

Something I have found that works well on the GTO labeled fuel rails is using my tire dressing rag after doing the tires to wipe the black area down. Then use a clean rage to clean the grime off the GTO letters. This makes the black background totally black and looks awesome!

_DM

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
Sears sells a portable steam cleaner for $99 USD that's the bomb! :)

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
redgtosamurai said:
Sears sells a portable steam cleaner for $99 USD that's the bomb! :)
My daughter has this and uses this to clean her engines... and her wheels too.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Pressure washer

I just use a pressure washer and the same Mother's California Gold car wash I use on the outside, but dial the pressure way back on the adjustable tip. I use no other chemicals under there or on the wheels yet because I have seen Gunk and stuff like it discolor aluminum. That stuff should only be used to reclaim a real grease ball IMHO. Mr. Clean, I think it is, makes a refillable all in one mixer, hose adapter, and nozzle including a Pur water filter for the rinse that takes all the impurities out for spotless air drying. I have seen it advertised on TV. I'll have to find one and give it a try. The pressure washer makes me a bit nervous about injuring the paint or electronics.... Maxine gets a bath twice a week, sometimes more often, depending on birds and pollen. So far, she's only been wet underneath 5 times, three times in necessity, twice by accident. :banghead: It was a B***H towelling all that stuff dry under there! (Just kidding) :sneaky:

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
twice a week OG? Man I thought I was anal. :)

I use Zaino. It was a PIA to apply the first time but once it is on, the car doesn't get dirty anymore. I just dust it with a big puffy duster made of lambs wool and give her a coat of Z6 to shine her up. To deal w/ birds I have windex wipes )viniger( in the trunk for touch ups. My girl has been wet quite a few times but rain driving days are getting far and few between. I learned to check the weather before going to bed...

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
sxty8goats post should be edited for content... see if anyone else can figure out why. :D

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
FLORIT said:
sxty8goats post should be edited for content... see if anyone else can figure out why. :D
[Beavis Mode On]...he he.....he said wet....he he..[Beavis Mode Off]

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
It is all innocent I tell you.. innocent!

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
FLORIT said:
LOL he said wet

And FLORIT... you are so bad! LOL

<edit> HRJ beat me to it!</edit>

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
:sneaky: Huntress,

How is it that you always show up at these things.. :cool:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Washing Engine Compartment

Gianni D said:

Any suggestions?
Gianni
Get the Windex product that connects to your garden hose. Use plastic bags to protect anything electrical. Warm the engine slightly and hose down with clear water; spray on the windex. Repeat if necessary. Rinse. Next spray whole compartment with Armour All, leave for a few minutes and rinse.

slick50

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
hmmm. i'l have to try that big fluffy duster on my wife...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts