LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
23 psi
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use to clean the windows on your new GTO's? It seems no matter how hard I try I can't get that 'new car off-gasing grime' off the inside of my windows. I tend to just smear it around. I've tried different glass cleaners....just a dry terry towel...but there always seems to be some 'invisible' smudge that shows up a day or two later. Are my windows contaminated or am I just doing something wrong?

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
Eagle One glass cleaner works great for me and its tint safe( no ammonia)

·
Registered
267 Posts
jbls1gto said:
What do you guys use to clean the windows on your new GTO's? It seems no matter how hard I try I can't get that 'new car off-gasing grime' off the inside of my windows. I tend to just smear it around. I've tried different glass cleaners....just a dry terry towel...but there always seems to be some 'invisible' smudge that shows up a day or two later. Are my windows contaminated or am I just doing something wrong?
same problem here , windsheild is always dirty. It thought someone was smoking in my car it gets so bad.

So its some sort of gas being released from the interior as it heats up ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
jbls1gto said:

I use isopryl(sp?) alcohol to remove tough adhesives. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I use Invisible Glass by Stoner (not kidding about the name) it is in an aerosol can and it is very easy to use, it is also tint safe.
To get sticky leftover glue and grease i use Goo-Gone, it works great & does not damage paint.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Alex said:
I use Invisible Glass by Stoner (not kidding about the name) it is in an aerosol can and it is very easy to use, it is also tint safe.
To get sticky leftover glue and grease i use Goo-Gone, it works great & does not damage paint.
I use Stoner's Invisible Glass too. It works great but in my neck of the woods does leave a bit of residue. I spray it on, let it sit a little bit (seconds, not minutes), then wipe it off till dry, then I go over with another cloth to get the bit of residue that is left and it's sparkly fresh. <Racist rant> That is until I go to the car wash and the GD people who don't F'in speaking ENGLISH wash the insides of my windows even though I TELL THEM NOT TO! :banghead:

Why do they have to wash the insides of my windows anyway? They don't get dirty! I don't sneeze or rub my hands or lick the insides of my windows. LEAVE EM ALONE DAMMIT! Why is that so hard to understand!?!?! :punch:

Ok, I'm done now.

·
23 psi
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bclarke said:
same problem here , windsheild is always dirty. It thought someone was smoking in my car it gets so bad.

So its some sort of gas being released from the interior as it heats up ?

From what I understand it's the new interior materials sort of 'breaking in'. I sort of think of it as that new car smell getting stuck to my windows...

I'm going to try a non-ammonia based cleaner and maybe grab some GM glass cleaner from work. I've never had a problem with that.

I agree about the car wash thing. You get your windows clean and then some guy comes along with a rag and leaves a bunch of marks inside your windows...COME ON PEOPLE!!! :)

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
The best glass cleaner I have ever used and trumps everything else is GM glass cleaner in the spray can.

This stuff is the shiznit!

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Oh, and you can do nothing about the smokiness in the inside glass from the adhesives used in assembling the car, that'll continue for the life of the car no matter what you do.

I use one tery cloth towel to actually clean the window, then another dry terry cloth towel to buff out the streaks.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Hasn't anybody here used newspaper to clean windows???? Theirs something with the ink in the paper it cleans glass really well. You use it to wipe off the glass cleaner. A damp terry cloth towel seams to work well too for inside the windshield.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Yea. Bar Keepers friend also works nice too but is better suited for when you are physically washing the car itself.

·
J.A.F. User
61 Posts
GMH GTO said:
Hasn't anybody here used newspaper to clean windows???? Theirs something with the ink in the paper it cleans glass really well. You use it to wipe off the glass cleaner. A damp terry cloth towel seams to work well too for inside the windshield.
I always use Stoners and newspaper. That combination will get all the haze off and not leave any smears. I always go over it twice. Once for the major cleaning and again to catch any errant smears. The only problem i have is getting all the way down against the package shelf. I use a regular cloth for that before the newspaper process.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Mikie said:
I always use Stoners and newspaper. That combination will get all the haze off and not leave any smears. I always go over it twice. Once for the major cleaning and again to catch any errant smears. The only problem i have is getting all the way down against the package shelf. I use a regular cloth for that before the newspaper process.
he he! He said Stoners!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have both Stoners and the GM glass cleaner. The GM stuff works better.

Have any of you had a problem with waterspots on your glass? I have had waterspots on the glass since new and I've tried a half dozen glass cleaners and nothing would take the spots off. I grabbed a scraper with a razor blade in it and that was the only way to get them off. I did some searching on the internet and found this stuff called Nu-glass. It is a polish/rubbing compound for glass. I tried it and it works AWESOME! Took the spots right off.

Be carefull with this stuff though as it is abrasive and you don't want to get it on your paint or rubber around the windows. Here is a link to their web site:

https://www.duragloss.com/new/products/gl-cleaners.htm

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Yea. Bar Keepers friend also works nice too but is better suited for when you are physically washing the car itself.
Bar Keeper's Friend? Are you kidding? I've always found that stuff to be incredibly abrasive. I use that to get rust stains out of my sink and what not - I imagine it'd take the paint right off our car?

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
phobos512 said:
Why do they have to wash the insides of my windows anyway? They don't get dirty! I don't sneeze or rub my hands or lick the insides of my windows. LEAVE EM ALONE DAMMIT! Why is that so hard to understand!?!?! :punch:

Ok, I'm done now.
you have PEOPLE at your car wash? :eek2: wow. :eek2: i haven't seen any people at any car wash in years except the guy that takes your money.

·
Premium Member
6,768 Posts
Sprayway glass gleaner. I used to use the Stoner product, but, ever since having my sister bring me out a 4-pack of Sprayway from Costco, I'm hooked. Works really well, doesn't streak or leave a residue. Co-worker got a new window installed on his truck, and he even noticed the auto glass installer using Sprayway, too.

--Robert

·
Registered
45 Posts
The film is commonly called "vinyl vapor" it comes from the pthlate's or plasticizer added for gloss and flexibility, it will decrease over time. As for cleaning I tried the GM stuff and it was horrible, left a nasty film that took a lot of elbow grease to clean off. Stoner's works very good but you have to clean the same area twice.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
svede1212 said:
you have PEOPLE at your car wash? :eek2: wow. :eek2: i haven't seen any people at any car wash in years except the guy that takes your money.
Yep, people. At the car wash. They vaccuum it, then it goes through the machine, then they by hand do the windows, tires, drying, etc. Just wish they'd leave the insides of my windows alone :)

In fact, I don't think we have any fully automatic car washes here. We have the do it yourself and the they do it for you kind. Though a new one did open up like, last weekend and it may have an auto stall...But I like the place I go to well enough and see no reason to change.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
phobos512 said:
Bar Keeper's Friend? Are you kidding? I've always found that stuff to be incredibly abrasive. I use that to get rust stains out of my sink and what not - I imagine it'd take the paint right off our car?
Did you see the part I said about using it when you wash the car? That's what you want for the window, some abrasiveness.

If you do it when washing the car, you don't have to worry about it's abrasiveness damaging the paint as you can spray it off with the hose.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts