LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Under Construction
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my car back from the bodyshop and it has clearcoat overspray on some of the windows. I'm looking for some sort of chemical that will take it off. I'm too afraid to use a razor blade for fear of scratching the glass. I'v also heard that a claybar might take it off but I'm not sure. Any advice would help.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
I used a razor blade to clean road grime from the windshield a few weeks back... remarkable to say the least.

·
05 Torrid Red Pontiac GT0 6MT
1,096 Posts
Try the clay bar first. It's the lease agressive method. If it's fresh I think it should come off no problem.

·
Mindless Poo Flinger
2,711 Posts
Use some glass cleaner wit the razor blade.............i use it all the time

·
Under Construction
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to try the razor blade and follow it up with the claybar

·
Under Construction
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AUSI GTO said:
Razor blade won't scratch glass, clay bay will also remove overspray and so will "00" steelwool.
Whats a "00" steelwool?

·
Registered
406 Posts
its like an sos pad only not as abrasive, hench 00 .you car find it at any paint supply house.

·
Under Construction
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JUNIPER9803 said:
its like an sos pad only not as abrasive, hench 00 .you car find it at any paint supply house.
I figured thats what it was. Thanks Junip

·
1 of 40,757
6,484 Posts
FYI: dont buy 0000 steelwool in a "variety" pack. The steel fibers from other grades of wool can get mixed in with the 0000 and scratch the shit out of everything.

Only use the finest steel wool on windows and it doesnt work very well w/o a window cleaner.

·
medium rare
348 Posts
I'd use the claybar, if that dont work use the 0000 steel wool. If you do decide to use a razor blade, make sure it's fresh / never used on anything else or you will scratch the heck out of your glass.

·
1967 Firebird HO Conv. M3
176 Posts
LS2-GTO said:
FYI: dont buy 0000 steelwool in a "variety" pack. The steel fibers from other grades of wool can get mixed in with the 0000 and scratch the shit out of everything.

Only use the finest steel wool on windows and it doesnt work very well w/o a window cleaner.
Say what??? No, no steel wool will scratch glass unless somehow steel suddenly became harder on the Rockwell scale than quartz/silicon (glass). The 0, 00, 000, 0000 refer to the size of the steel fibers - 0 is coarse, thick fibers, 00 are thinner and so on similar to wire gauges, it has nothing to do with the hardness. I have safely used steel wool of all sorts on glass and never seen a scratch. The high-strength carbon steel that can affect glass couldn't be made into wool, its too brittle and would be worthless.

If you have scratched glass with steel wool, then your wool was contaminated with/or contained an abrasive material. SOS pads might have an abrasives mixed with the detergent to help clean pans and may scratch which is why plain steel wool should be used.

·
1 of 40,757
6,484 Posts
Why would I make this up? In my experience (very recently) a coarse steel wool scratched my windows easily. 0000 did not.

Go ahead use the coarser stuff. I wont.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts