LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
F-16, Now That's Some Ponies!
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK everybody, I'm throwing out my mods shopping list in hopes of some inputs, suggestions or tips before I start buying in about three months. Like I said in another post, I'm a complete novice and need help spending my money wisely. I'm mostly after horsepower gains and a good exhaust note.

• Kooks LTs (seems to be the standard)
  • Borla cats/exhaust (open to other suggestions)
  • K & N intake (open to other suggestions)
  • Cam (haven't done much research here and really need some help with brand, specs... everything)
  • How much all of the above will cost me
After those things, I'm considering 3:91's for the rear end and suspension upgrades, but I really want to get these things done first. And since I can really only handle the basics in terms or car maintenance, I'll be looking for A LOT of help in the installation department. Timeline right now is for a late January buy and February install. OK, please fire at will and if you have a similar set up, I would love to take a closer look at the next RMGTO event.

·
Murphy the RMGTO Mod Dog
3,496 Posts
I am thinking along the same lines as you.

I got Pacesetter Long Tubes coming in sometime soon, hopefully this week or next. So far what I am seeing on this site, the quality looks really good. But I get to be the RMGTO test monkey on them.

I am going to skip the cat backs, it sounds if the stock ones are pretty good, and I am not looking for very loud. Catbacks seem to be being choosen to get your desired sound. I got a pair of cutouts from Luke and plan on having some mid pipes made with cats and putting the cutouts before the cats, then I'll have quietish or loud and plenty of breathing.

K&N, well personally, I had issues with the oil on my truck, maybe it was user error, but it was messing with the MAF. I got a K&N from Derrickdude, thanks again, so I am going to modify it some and use it. I ordered an AEM Dryflow filter to replace the K&N cone.

Cam, well for me, that is going to wait until my warranty is up in a couple years. Along with the cam, you need springs and new push rods.

Besides that, I am looking at Pedder's stuff sometime down the line. Will be trying to stay stock hieght, and get a little better road handling. Otherwise will look to get some help with it on the wheel hop. Also will probably snag a JHP gauge pod, don't like not having oil pressure and electrical reading.

Also looking at HPTuners. All my upgrades will be far apart, so will probably end up being cheaper than having it tuned at every change.

Already have different rims, will be looking at a stickier set of tires for draging this summer. Otherwise for changing the looks a little, I am contemplating a JHP lip spoiler, changing up my interior lights (green drives my eyes nuts), and tinting the car (somewhere around 20% to 30%).

The others around here know a lot more than me though. I am a newbie that reads a lot here during the day.

·
Administrator
20,409 Posts
Dont mess with the catback as far as power...choose your catback based upon sound. The stock catback is not as bad as you would think. with open cutouts I only gained about 10hp on a car almost making 500rwhp...its not worth the money to do the catback unless you are trying to change the sound. I still have my catback stock and it still sounds great.

As far as cams go, you should talk to "EDC" hes a custom cam grinder. He charges more than some company selling a boxed cam, but he grinds the cam to what you want, and your specific setup. WELL worth the money, trust me.

If youre going to stay N/A, also consider an underdrive pulley and some cheap ported LS6/243 heads.

·
F-16, Now That's Some Ponies!
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as the exhaust, I really am just looking for the sound. In the tech forum I've read about some guys just putting Flowmaster Super 40s in place of the stock mufflers to get the sound they want, which would save me a lot of coin since my brother has a good friend who runs a Flowmaster authorized exhaust shop. I also kicked around the idea of the electric cut outs, but I'm not really sold and it sounds like the HP gain is not all that great. Great inputs! Please keep them coming.

·
Administrator
20,409 Posts
I got the cutouts because I wanted the car to be quiet normally and obnoxious when cruising places like garden of the gods park. but once I took the cats out, even with closed cutouts its too loud.

·
7,835 Posts
Steel Chicken said:
I got the cutouts because I wanted the car to be quiet normally and obnoxious when cruising places like garden of the gods park. but once I took the cats out, even with closed cutouts its too loud.

No way dude, it sounds very healthy but not pull me over loud IMO. Sounds like a car you wouldnt want to f with on the street though. :shiner:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts