LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone dealt with having a clogged Venturi jet in the stock fuel bucket? I've bench tested my pump and all the lines as well as checked the Venturi o ring but can't get the bucket to fill. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't run the stock FPR in my bucket anymore, doesn't fit with the DW400 in there. I've verified that I'm getting fuel at least to the o-ring fitting at the bottom of the bucket so far, and will probably get a new o-ring today to be safe. I have noticed though that there is some crud in the venturi jet but asides from trying to get a Q-tip down there, not really sure how it could be cleaned.

·
Worthless reject member
40,364 Posts
you could try some kind of pressurized back flush. compressed air? good 'ol can of brake clean or carb clean and a plastic straw...

what is feeding the venturi, a second pump?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did use an air gun while at work earlier and it looks like most likely the bucket Venturi isn't clogged at this point. I bench tested the pump assembly in a bucket and the Venturi does work but just doesn't seem to be able to fill the bucket faster than the pump can empty it. I also verified that the o ring isn't leaking either. I've been running Proxses' DW400 kit for the last few years. It's worked great until I took the pump out and sent it to Deatchwerks to have them put a check valve in it. Now I can't seem to get the bucket to stay full. Starting to lean towards something being up with the pump now.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
So if you took the regulator out, how are you regulating fuel pressure? Do you have a return system now with a external regulator? If so, just return the the fuel into the bucket directly. dont worry about the venturi. also, make sure fuel can get INTO the bucket easily but NOT DRAIN easily.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Proxses kit has a pressure regulator in the tank still but not in the bucket. Its still a returnless system otherwise yeah I would have it return right into the bucket. Being that the system was working correctly before I removed the pump along with the fact that I've confirmed the venturi O-ring and plunger gasket are functioning correctly, I'm pretty sure something's up with the pump venturi outlet being restricted internally.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Well the stock return shots it back right over the ventrui inlet. I figured pressure from the gas lone would have something to do with it but maybe its something else.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure what your bench setup looks like, but from the recent testing I did with the smaller DW300C, the stock venturi simply can't keep up and it will run the bucket dry in less than 30 seconds IF the full flow is pumped external. This would be equivalent to running WOT for 30 seconds which doesn't occur very often at least for me.

To simulate more typical conditions/flows for the returnless system I added a flow restriction to the external line. When I reduce the external flow the remaining flow recirculates back into the bucket and supplements the venturi to keep the bucket full. Just guessing the Proxes would behave similarly.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure what your bench setup looks like, but from the recent testing I did with the smaller DW300C, the stock venturi simply can't keep up and it will run the bucket dry in less than 30 seconds IF the full flow is pumped external. This would be equivalent to running WOT for 30 seconds which doesn't occur very often at least for me.

To simulate more typical conditions/flows for the returnless system I added a flow restriction to the external line. When I reduce the external flow the remaining flow recirculates back into the bucket and supplements the venturi to keep the bucket full. Just guessing the Proxes would behave similarly.
My bench setup includes an extremely high tech home depot bucket and wires running from the pump wiring harness to a 12V battery. I had considered that there isn't any restriction on the pump line as part of the reason that the bucket is going empty but don't really have anything to restrict the outlet with at my disposal. Deatchwerks offered to take a look at the pump and throw it on their flow bench though so for peace of mind I'm going to send them the pump and bucket to see if they can find anything out of sorts. Their customer service has been pretty good at least. Still pretty sure that something is up with the pump though as this setup has worked pretty well for me for the last few years up till now. I'm just hoping this will be the last time I have to pull the tank being that every time I do I inevitably cover the floor of my garage in gas.
Thanks for the input guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts