LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, as the title says, I'm considering getting a carbon fiber banshee hood. My car is silver, I'm considering keeping the hood unpainted depending on how it looks and to save costs and work on my part. Tell me what you think, I don't want it to look like a ricer.
Here it is painted and I couldn't find a picture of the hood unpainted on a silver gto, I have black rims/taillights if that helps with your imagination, see my profile pic.

·
Wol Gemut
3,511 Posts
banshee hoods are cool but not a fan of black hoods, not even on an AAR Cuda. detracts from the lines of the car. but then, also not a fan of black wheels except sometimes on a white car.

·
Administrator
8,852 Posts
Paint it body color.

·
three rights make a left
183 Posts

Here is my banshee hood. If I were to do it all over again I would do carbon fiber but paint it exactly like this. Nice clean look but would let the carbon fiber peek through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
agree with paint unless you want the attention. carbon gel coat will crack as well and i think paint would hide that

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
464 Posts
Carbon fiber hood may look good though if you have lots of other carbon body parts. Such as mavman diffuser. Spoiler. And possibly a splitter. All in bare carbon.

·
Is that FWD?
1,240 Posts
Hello, as the title says, I'm considering getting a carbon fiber banshee hood. My car is silver, I'm considering keeping the hood unpainted depending on how it looks and to save costs and work on my part. Tell me what you think, I don't want it to look like a ricer.
Here it is painted and I couldn't find a picture of the hood unpainted on a silver gto, I have black rims/taillights if that helps with your imagination, see my profile pic.
View attachment 509518
That is my GTO in that pic. Mine is fiberglass though.

Reactions: 05silgto

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies everybody, I'm not really sure what route I'm going to go now, when I bought the car at 19k miles 8 years ago, someone switched out the 05 hood for an 04. A year or so later and the clear coat was already starting to peel on it. I guess the gto it came from had a lot more use on it. I want to start fixing the appearance issues on my car starting with repainting my hood and bumper, but I don't want to do all that if part of me wants to switch out the hood all together. I want a hood with scoops/vents to help with under hood temps. With longtube headers it gets pretty hot under there, It's a challenge to keep my intake temps. below 100 degrees during normal driving, even with the hardcore Procharger intake mod and a intercooler fan. I actually would prefer to take this 04 hood to a body shop given if I could find some vent inserts or a design that would look decent.
For the banshee hood, what would you say is more durable, carbon fiber or the fiber glass?

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Thanks for the replies everybody, I'm not really sure what route I'm going to go now, when I bought the car at 19k miles 8 years ago, someone switched out the 05 hood for an 04. A year or so later and the clear coat was already starting to peel on it. I guess the gto it came from had a lot more use on it. I want to start fixing the appearance issues on my car starting with repainting my hood and bumper, but I don't want to do all that if part of me wants to switch out the hood all together. I want a hood with scoops/vents to help with under hood temps. With longtube headers it gets pretty hot under there, It's a challenge to keep my intake temps. below 100 degrees during normal driving, even with the hardcore Procharger intake mod and a intercooler fan. I actually would prefer to take this 04 hood to a body shop given if I could find some vent inserts or a design that would look decent.
For the banshee hood, what would you say is more durable, carbon fiber or the fiber glass?
Equal. Carbon has some strength but either will have the same issues on the road.

I kinds like the stingray

·
Administrator
8,852 Posts
when I bought the car at 19k miles 8 years ago, someone switched out the 05 hood for an 04.
Um, did they switch out the hood or do you have an extremely rare bonafide BJZ car?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Equal. Carbon has some strength but either will have the same issues on the road.

I kinds like the stingray

View attachment 509528
I actually like the look of that hood as well, it's been a while since I've done some research on it, but I recall reading some comments about poor quality with the stingray hood.

Edit: Read the reviews here.

·
Is that FWD?
1,240 Posts
Unpainted carbon fiber banshee on Quicksilver.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
I actually like the look of that hood as well, it's been a while since I've done some research on it, but I recall reading some comments about poor quality with the stingray hood.

Edit: Read the reviews here.
Thought carbon creations had a version too. Could be wrong

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Unpainted carbon fiber banshee on Quicksilver.

View attachment 509530 View attachment 509531
Doesn't look too bad, I wonder how it would look with stock body parts and unpainted. I've tried looking for a picture several times with no luck. Part of me knows that in a couple years, I may need to get my entire car repainted, which is another reason why I'm kinda holding off on wanting to paint a carbon fiber hood. I want to get my car painted a different color than stock, but I don't want the door panels/engine bay to not match. I thought about the possibility of going with a flat/matte silver but It's hard to imagine what it may look like on the car. Flat paint jobs make it harder for police to use lidar on you as it is less reflective than normal paint.

Maybe something like this? Maybe I'll consider a wrap in my future.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Subbin for interest. I have a QSM and I am also considering a hood (3"" cowl for the underhood clearance). Personally I think unpainted might work if there are a lot of other black accents.

Personally I am not a fan of high contrast, but I also want to get the car respray in the near future.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts