LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I'm looking forward to some testing of the 05 PBR's to see if they might be a reasonably priced alternative to some of the entry-level aftermarket kit.

·
Registered
629 Posts
mistermike said:
I'm looking forward to some testing of the 05 PBR's to see if they might be a reasonably priced alternative to some of the entry-level aftermarket kit.
Mike,
Are the factory 04 brakes that inadequate for real world driving? It seems like a lot of owners of 04s are really ready to upgrade when the kits come out? Opinion? Craig

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
Normal driving is just fine. But road racing is a different story. The car is already fast and heavy enough to smoke it's own brakes in extended road course scenarios. One member pretty much burned up a set of pads and rotors in a long session at Mid-Ohio.
If you're going to mod the car for even more power, it's certainly prudent to insure that you can bring her back to zero safely. This isn't necessarily an indictment of the GTO/Monaro as is, because most any serious road course guy is going to do some brake work. I think the reason for the factory upgrade is based on the consensus of reviewers that while the 04 brakes were decent, they weren't as outstanding as other aspects of the car.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Is it just my lack of knowledge or am I correct in thinking the prices for brake upgrades for this car a little on the high side? I am basing this on the cost of drilled and slotted rotors I've seen to date. It seems even more expensive when you consider rotors are consumables.

I'm thinking this out, as I am going to reach out here and assume these rotors will warp eventually like other GM cars I've owned in the past, or could I be wrong here with the stock ones?

I probably won't upgrade until after I have a reason to, but am just thinking this out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Huntress said:
Is it just my lack of knowledge or am I correct in thinking the prices for brake upgrades for this car a little on the high side? I am basing this on the cost of drilled and slotted rotors I've seen to date. It seems even more expensive when you consider rotors are consumables.

I'm thinking this out, as I am going to reach out here and assume these rotors will warp eventually like other GM cars I've owned in the past, or could I be wrong here with the stock ones?

I probably won't upgrade until after I have a reason to, but am just thinking this out.
I don't think they are any higher for this car than others. Brembos, Baers, Stoptechs systems are expensive. You probably won't need to upgrade your brakes unless you are going to track your car. At the track they really get heated up and the stock brakes will destroy themselves. But with normal street driving, keeping your lug nuts torqued, the stock rotors will probably last a long time. If you want more stopping power etc. you can play around with aftermarket pads for a lot less money than a 2000 dollar brake system. I have sort of been down that route and am just giving you my own opinion based on my experience.

·
Registered
86 Posts
did anyone notice the different lug nut cap?
maybe its for the wheel looks.

·
Sensible Contributor
1,439 Posts
Alex said:
did anyone notice the different lug nut cap?
maybe its for the wheel looks.
Fifth is a Holden factory wheel locknut

·
Upstairs in the basement
396 Posts
isszy said:
Fifth is a Holden factory wheel locknut
LOL its just a standard GM screw on cover over that locknut then, so why not use them on all 5 lugs? That is what I ended up doing. :)

·
"My head is like a Sieve"
185 Posts
"Fifth is a Holden factory wheel locknut"

Anyone have a P/N for these? I have the "Factory wheel lock lugnuts installed.... with the Screw-on type fittings.... (which of course the regular wheel lug covers do not fit)... :bs:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts