LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GTO has a clunk that is coming from the Shifter or driveline. Its NOT when I power shift and the rear end gives "the thunk in the trunk".
For instance if I back out of the garage slowly and ride the clutch to go slow.....then when I push the clutch back in quickly the car makes a quick shake and then goes "clunk clunk" as I disingage it. I;m not sure what it is.....Does anyone else's do this?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Rocket said:
My GTO has a clunk that is coming from the Shifter or driveline. Its NOT when I power shift and the rear end gives "the thunk in the trunk".
For instance if I back out of the garage slowly and ride the clutch to go slow.....then when I push the clutch back in quickly the car makes a quick shake and then goes "clunk clunk" as I disingage it. I;m not sure what it is.....Does anyone else's do this?
So far, after 1,200 miles or so, No. Mine was built in December and, according to the serial number and yellow painted "OK" on the driver-side rear of the block, has had the pressure plate-to-firewall bolts torque problem corrected. I haven't had the "trunk thunk" fix done.

I drive like the original, and not Jan and Dean's, "little old lady from Pasadena," so my situation may not be representative, but I'll keep you posted. Good luck.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I notice a little thunking noise when I push the clutch in and out, but I don't think its anything serious. Mine was built in February and has the yellow OK stamped on the head.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Are we talking about a 'clunk' or are we talking about the noise of the hydraulic cylinder for the clutch engaging? The clutch and transmission on this car are a bit noisy - but no more so than a vette - and heck, the gearbox is at the rear end in them.
Oh, and I drove a car with a clutch issue friday night (Rocko's) and you can definitely tell the difference. Hard to put into gear just sitting there, especially reverse, and you could feel the drag on the clutch in your foot from the moment you started releasing it.
Dan

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
My clutch and transmission are noisy, as Dad described, but I don't have any problem getting into gears and the clutch release point seems right. I'm getting better at shifting smoothly, too. Sometimes is sounds like an A4. :D

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Is that supposed to be Dan? I'm fairly certain that 1) I don't have any kids and 2) I'm not quite old enough to be your dad...
;)
Dan

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
DANSLS1 said:
Is that supposed to be Dan? I'm fairly certain that 1) I don't have any kids and 2) I'm not quite old enough to be your dad...
;)
Dan
HAHAHAHAHA, you're right, Dad, uh, I mean Dan. I'm not gonna edit that, either. :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SO they have a OK stamp on them if they are built later and the issues are solved? Mine was supposedly made in October, so its possible to have the problem. WHERE exactely is this "OK" stamped?
Thanks

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Now you guys have made me paranoid. Every "clink, clank, or clunk" my drivetrain makes has me wondering if I have a flaw. I'm not gonna worry about it TOO much, though, because she's running fine.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I'm confused too!

Is this a clunk from slack in the driveline (which is standard on M6 cars)? Or is it a clunk from the hydraulics (when you push in the clutch)?

If it's the later, it's the throwout bearing being sucked in to release pressure on the pressure plate. Letting the clutch pedal back out allows the spring on the throw out to push the bearing back up against the pressure plate.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Tighten Clutch Pressure Plate Bolts . . .

CMNTMXR57 said:
I'm confused too!

Is this a clunk from slack in the driveline (which is standard on M6 cars)? Or is it a clunk from the hydraulics (when you push in the clutch)?

If it's the later, it's the throwout bearing being sucked in to release pressure on the pressure plate. Letting the clutch pedal back out allows the spring on the throw out to push the bearing back up against the pressure plate.
Information for Manual GTO owners . . .
Bulletin #04-07-31-003 released Jun 30, 2004 Loss of Pedal Height/Low Clutch Pedal, Clutch Does not Release Fully Untill Ful Pedal Travel, Difficulty Changing Gears (Tighten Clutch Pressure Plate Bolts)

2004 Pontiac GTO Built bPrior to VIN Breakpoint 4L234149 with manual transmission

Condition- Some customers may comment on progressive loss of pedal height (which, if not addressed, could result in the clutch not fully releasing until full pedal travel), difficulty in changing gears or a low clutch pedal.

Cause - Root cause analysis has identified that the clutch pressure plate bolt torque on vehicles produced before the above VIN breakpoint may loosen in service. This condition was corrected in production by increasing the torque of the clutch pressure plate bolts. This change became effective in vehicle production beginning with VIN 4L234149, built on 2/11/04.

Correction - IMPORTANT
* This correction MUST be performed before retail delivery of new vehicles built prior to VIN breakpoint 4L234149.
* Whenever performing repairs to the clutch assembly on vehicles built prior to and after the specified VIN breakpoint, ensure thal all six pressure plate retaining bolts are tightened in sequence as shown in the illustration.

Apply additional torque to the clutch pressure plate-to-flywheel bolts to the revised torque specification of 70 Nm +/- 7 Nm (52 lb ft +/- 5 lb ft). Follow the tightening sequence shown in the illustration.

Using a clock pattern as illustration: (star pattern)
1st bolt at 12:00
2nd bolt at 4:00
3rd bolt at 8:00
4th bolt at 2:00
5th bolt at 6:00
6th bolt at 10:00

Tighten the bolts in sequence in 4 steps:
1. Tighten all bolts to 15 Nm (11 lb ft)
2. Tighten all bolts to 35 Nm (26 lb ft)
3. Tighten all bolts to 55 Nm (41 lb ft)
4. Tighten all bolts to 70 Nm (52 lb ft)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Well, I thought I was clear of this problem thinking that I haven't had trouble yet. According to the break point I'm in the thick of things. :eek2:
I guess I'll need to keep a close eye on things and head to the dealer at the first sign of trouble.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Head for the Dealer

Rocket said:
Rocket, sounds to me like the clutch bolts are backing off and the pressure palte is clunking around in there. I don't know your driving style, but another member has already had a halfshaft separate from the drive axle stub because the bolts fell out too. Something ain't right, and it's always easier to fix before it breaks. JMHO

·
GTONEWB
250 Posts
Clunk

I also have the Clunk noise when I Chirp 2nd and 3rd... I hear it coming from the rear. I'm not sure if that's a bad sound or a good sound. I just don't want to screw up anything on my car. But I'd like to be able to chirp the tires without having to worry about it :banghead: . Anyone have any clue if this is a noise I should worry about? I've asked all my friends and they say it's normal.

2004 GTO

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
GTONEWB said:
I also have the Clunk noise when I Chirp 2nd and 3rd... I hear it coming from the rear. I'm not sure if that's a bad sound or a good sound. I just don't want to screw up anything on my car. But I'd like to be able to chirp the tires without having to worry about it :banghead: . Anyone have any clue if this is a noise I should worry about? I've asked all my friends and they say it's normal.

2004 GTO
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2682&highlight=thunk+trunk SHould take less than an hour to fix once the dealer gets the parts.
:drink::drink:

·
GTONEWB
250 Posts
Thanks Tails, that helps alot. I'll make an appointment with my dealership asap to have them fix that. Thanks again.

GTONEWB
2004 GTO

1 - 16 of 16 Posts