LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other night was really nice and cool out so while I had my 2005 GTO out, I decided to get a little radical and turned off the traction control, dumped the clutch and spun tires getting away from a light. When I went to shift to second the clutch pedal felt a little weird but went into 2nd but would not allow me to shift to 3rd and coasted a bit then everything seemed to work normal. I have never had a hard time pushing the limits of shifting with traction control on so wondering if that had anything to do with it. Car is stock with exception of short throw shifter, Kooks headers, Corsa catless exhaust and has been dyno tuned. Could the clutch be going? Car only has about 59,000 miles on it and I am the second owner so it has not been beaten.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The other night was really nice and cool out so while I had my 2005 GTO out, I decided to get a little radical and turned off the traction control, dumped the clutch and spun tires getting away from a light. When I went to shift to second the clutch pedal felt a little weird but went into 2nd but would not allow me to shift to 3rd and coasted a bit then everything seemed to work normal. I have never had a hard time pushing the limits of shifting with traction control on so wondering if that had anything to do with it. Car is stock with exception of short throw shifter, Kooks headers, Corsa catless exhaust and has been dyno tuned. Could the clutch be going? Car only has about 59,000 miles on it and I am the second owner so it has not been beaten.
TC does not effect the clutch. Far as the rest I could only guess and I do not guess, I do not feel like I have to look like a genius. Did it go from 2nd to neutral then refuse 3rd?

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,118 Posts
Original clutch and pressure plate? Have you ever bled the clutch fluid? Deliberately leading questions are deliberate...

At this point, age is working against you, not mileage.

·
1 of 40,757
6,387 Posts
Slaves seem to be the bane of the T56’s existence. I drove my car like that for years. Could only accelerate through 2 gears before the pedal went to the floor. Probably saved a lot of wear and tear. When the slave finally went it became a pump and would no longer shift.
When I removed the trans and did the “while I’m in there” replacing the slave I also replaced the rear main seal, Clutch, lines and speed bleeder. @80,000 Miles the clutch was still in great shape because the slave was shot for all those years.

After all those years it’s really nice to go through the gears and still have a pedal.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,118 Posts
Slaves seem to be the bane of the T56’s existence. I drove my car like that for years. Could only accelerate through 2 gears before the pedal went to the floor. Probably saved a lot of wear and tear. When the slave finally went it became a pump and would no longer shift.
When I removed the trans and did the “while I’m in there” replacing the slave I also replaced the rear main seal, Clutch, lines and speed bleeder. @80,000 Miles the clutch was still in great shape because the slave was shot for all those years.

After all those years it’s really nice to go through the gears and still have a pedal.
Same here, but at 151,000 miles and my slave never failed (just sucked).

·
Registered
357 Posts
My original clutch started slipping and I changed it at around 35k miles. After some aggressive driving, I'd drop it and the car would take off with the RPMs slowly dropping and no wheel slip. So the milage you have is definitely not that low for a clutch. However, your issue definitely sounds like a hydraulic system problem, as people have already mentioned, not clutch wear.

I'd definitely recommend a clutch fluid change first. If that doesn't help, then you'd probably need a new slave and should change the clutch as well. I'd definitely recommend a remote clutch speedbleeder line to allow easy fluid change and maybe even braided steel clutch fluid line. I flush my clutch fluid on an yearly basis now.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Mine will do the same witha brand new F-Body slave. Pump the clutch pedal a couple times and it's back... No leaks, and running the LS7 Clutch/flywheel

·
Freedom Fighter
764 Posts
My clutch used to get spongey after a hard launch. I read it was because of heat. I now run the car with the bell housing covers off to vent clutch dust/debris and heat. My clutch fluid stays semi clean and I never get that spongey clutch pedal any more. Sucking out and replacing reservoir fluid when it gets dirty also helps. If you do replace the clutch, install a remote bleeder and then you can bleed for real as opposed to just sucking out and replacing.

·
Registered
300 Posts
(y) on the bleeder line, gotta have T-Rex hands and get creative with tools to get it in the bell. I make tools for specfic tasks but that one whooped my ass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts