LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
late owner of a 2004
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked my clutch fluid yesterday and found that is was a dark grey in color and what looked like a gel substance in the resev. Is this correct or should it be a different color??? gel or no-gel?? the gel is a grey tint kinda like grease

I have had problems in the past with the clutch not dis-engaging I will launch at about 3000rpm and it will spin the tires and then its at red line.
any help would be appr.
thanks

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Rockos GTO said:
I checked my clutch fluid yesterday and found that is was a dark grey in color and what looked like a gel substance in the resev. Is this correct or should it be a different color??? gel or no-gel?? the gel is a grey tint kinda like grease

I have had problems in the past with the clutch not dis-engaging I will launch at about 3000rpm and it will spin the tires and then its at red line.
any help would be appr.
thanks
That, all of it, would be bad. The last time I saw what you are describing was when some numb nuts put power steering fluid in my master cylinder to top it off on the S-10 at a Jiffy Lube, and since these manuals use hydraulic clutches and brake fluid, sounds similar. It sounds to me like incorrect fluid was added and is attacking the seals. I'd recommend getting it drained, flushed, and refilled with the correct fluid as soon as humanly possible.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Rockos GTO said:
would that cause the clutch to not dis-engage?
I can only guess what havoc it might wreak in a clutch system. After it was done to my truck, I became aware when the Master Cylinder failed completely and suddenly while braking for an exit off the highway. Interesting drive home, with no brakes save the parking brake. That is eactly what my brake reservior looked like on investigation and inspection, charcoal grey fluid, lumps of gel.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
I think you should take your car to a different dealership, mention you clutch engagement issues and the TSB that involves your VIN and get somebody to actually retorque the clutch bolts correctly on your car and not give you the runaround.
Now I've vented. My car had a very small amount of 'grey' grease floaties in the clutch resevoir, but the fluid was liquid and looked like brake fluid. I pulled most of the 'grease' out with my finger. That was probably 3k miles ago. When I get home tonight I'm going to check it out.
I wonder if they switched from DOT 3 to DOT 4 on our cars (remember there's a TSB for that as well) and there is some incompatibility that caused the 'grease'?
Dan

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
DANSLS1 said:
I think you should take your car to a different dealership, mention you clutch engagement issues and the TSB that involves your VIN and get somebody to actually retorque the clutch bolts correctly on your car and not give you the runaround.
Now I've vented. My car had a very small amount of 'grey' grease floaties in the clutch resevoir, but the fluid was liquid and looked like brake fluid. I pulled most of the 'grease' out with my finger. That was probably 3k miles ago. When I get home tonight I'm going to check it out.
I wonder if they switched from DOT 3 to DOT 4 on our cars (remember there's a TSB for that as well) and there is some incompatibility that caused the 'grease'?
Dan
You may have nailed it Dan. There are two types of DOT4, compatible, and a full synthetic that will atack the parts. The Helms speaks to this.

·
Registered
118 Posts
TSB #'s ????

DANSLS1 said:
Dan

It seems as though a lot of people are getting the run around with various dealers as to the clutch, transmission and slave cylinder issues. I have read the several comments regarding these issues as we all have read, but unless I have missed it, I have not seen any tsb #s listed and perhaps it would be a great help for us to have an actual bulletin number. The bulletin for the rear thunk had a # for the repair. Does a bulletin number or numbers exist for the clutch/tran/slave cyl issues? If anyone has the actual bulletin #s would you please post them as it seems it would be very helpful for forum members, Thanks!

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2183&highlight=clutch+tsb
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4217&highlight=TSB
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2130&highlight=TSB
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item7#faq_new_faq_item10

They are most all in here, a search on 'TSB' will bring a lot of them up, and a run through the FAQ can ID known issues. A search on the specific words in the problem can bring results. Some of the stuff may take a little more rooting around than others. Folks were pretty diligent about including the info in the original threads where the first reports and resolutions are, if they had the numbers at the time. It is sometimes hard to come up with 'Dealer Only - No Public Release' information in it's fine detail. Everyone tries, which is why I Love this place!...

·
late owner of a 2004
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well good news and bad news, The dealership just called, they have had my trans pulled out ince monday and re-torqued all the bolt. he said the clutch looks good and it is way above the specs. But the clutch slave cylinder is bad, wont bleed at all and it had that grease like substance all thru it. so he had to order a new one. thats good they finally found something wrong.....BAD new is I might now get my car bad until monday or tuesday of next week. I havent had it since monday morning and I am going thru withdrawls already....The Colorado pickup they gave me sucks in comfort and in gas mileage. So hope fully this will fix my problem with the clutch not engaging properly.

·
3,327 Posts
Hey Rocko, can I ask a stuuuupid question? Where do I check the clutch fluid?

·
3,327 Posts
Thank You

·
late owner of a 2004
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I am getting a little stressed right now, my car has been in the shop for a week.... and they are saying sometime next week.
They are replacing the entire slave cylinder and lines.... do to the fact all the seals are gone and it is completely clogged up.......I am having withdrawls from not having my car....... I had to go ride in my buddies Cobra just to get a speed fix . only good thing is that it is under warranty!!!!!!

·
no goat
367 Posts
Same thing here

I checked my clutch fluid....grey floaties. Checked again this morning, more floaties, and getting darker and darker in color :mad:. I'm taking the car in monday. I'm really not happy my vin is L238xxx and should be past all of the problems according to the TSB's. I just hope I have it back in time to go back to school in a week.

·
GM master tech
278 Posts
ugh

damn it. Mine has the nice dark fluid and lil grey boogies floating around in it as well. Grrrrrrrrrr :banghead: Guess I'll pull the tranny, torque the pressure plate bolts and take care of that slave cylinder issue.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Mine is a pretty dark color and has grey floaties (has for a long time). I'm slightly concerned - but until I have any sort of change in how my clutch acts, I'm going to let it ride.
Dan

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Warren said:
Hey Rocko, can I ask a stuuuupid question? Where do I check the clutch fluid?
The only stupid question is the question never asked. Thanks for asking this one. I would have if you hadn't.

Like Dan, my clutch fluid is a pretty dark color. There was only one "floatie" clinging to the side of the opening, more like a booger than anything else. My clutch seems fine (always has) so I'm gonna let it ride, too.

·
late owner of a 2004
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well Mine had way too much in there, and it was not dis-engaging so thats why I took it in............... But I am still waiting on its return, its been 11 days now

·
late owner of a 2004
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I have had my Slave cylinder replaced and it is going back to the way it was before I had it replaced by the dealership......fluid is dark colored and gel-like substance floating. GM isnt going to like me very much if this has to go back to the shop again, this will be the 4th time for a clutch related issue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts