LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Night-time has been pretty crisp here in NE Ohio lately, and I've noticed that my clutch has a mushy or numb feeling to it for the first five minutes I'm driving my car. It engages fine and everything....just the pressure of the peddle is all out of whack. Does this have something to do with the fluid just needing time to warm up a bit?

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
AllMightyVoice said:
Night-time has been pretty crisp here in NE Ohio lately, and I've noticed that my clutch has a mushy or numb feeling to it for the first five minutes I'm driving my car. It engages fine and everything....just the pressure of the peddle is all out of whack. Does this have something to do with the fluid just needing time to warm up a bit?
Same here. When I take off on a cold morning, its as if the clutch is "stiff" and won't engage until I let it out completely. After warm or on hot days, it seems like the clutch is free and engages more quickly. I thought it was just me, but cold days enhance this behavior. Once I drive it for 10-15 minutes or so all shifts and clutch behavior is consistent. IMHO, it is a heavy clutch.

I also need to have the clutch pedal bushing replaced. It squeaks, but I dont' think it has anything to do with the aforementioned problem.

Gerry

·
= Ol Dirty Ed
3,280 Posts
I have your answer and solution. I had the same issue along with many others. You need your tranny fluid changed. If you look in your resevoir I'll bet there is like chunks of grease floating around. Apparently its some kind of assembly grease it gets in the hydraulics and cause that mushy effect when cold I guess when hot it thins out. I had my dealer change my fluid and its been fine since. Some cars however have been known to need to changes. If you're gonna do it yourself get some better fluid royal purple or something if not just let your dealer do it.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
ViciousImpulse said:
I have your answer and solution. I had the same issue along with many others. You need your tranny fluid changed. If you look in your resevoir I'll bet there is like chunks of grease floating around. Apparently its some kind of assembly grease it gets in the hydraulics and cause that mushy effect when cold I guess when hot it thins out. I had my dealer change my fluid and its been fine since. Some cars however have been known to need to changes. If you're gonna do it yourself get some better fluid royal purple or something if not just let your dealer do it.
Good timing...I got my GMM Rip Shifter this week, and have Amsoil ATF in the cabinet ready to go. Just need time to do it.

Gerry

·
get used to this sight
1,051 Posts
mine never feels mushy or anything but when its cold for about the first 3 minutes or so the car is very jerky and jumpy. is this the same issue or does it just need to warm up??? once its warmed up its smooth as butter.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of Royal Purple is recommended.....the Synchromax fluid or the ATF?

·
Administrator
9,491 Posts
ViciousImpulse said:
This refers to the clutch fluid, not the trans fluid. Although it may be beneficial to change the trans fluid as well to a synthetic ATF of your choice, this will have no effect on the clutch operation although shifting will be improved.
Problems with the clutch pedal are typically due to contaminated fluid as quoted and can be taken care of by a thorough flush with new fluid.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you don't want to go through the hassle of bleeding the clutch cylinders, get a completely clean and DRY bulb syringe (like the kind you clean your kid's ears out with when they are infants) and suck the current crap out and replace with some good DOT4 or better. Repeat daily for a few days and you'll get most of the old junk out. Make sure you don't get ANY dirt or water in the fluid. Be sure to wipe the cap of the resevoir prior to opening it each time.

·
Blown By Maggie
2,443 Posts
1 Bad Black Goat said:
If you don't want to go through the hassle of bleeding the clutch cylinders, get a completely clean and DRY bulb syringe (like the kind you clean your kid's ears out with when they are infants) and suck the current crap out and replace with some good DOT4 or better. Repeat daily for a few days and you'll get most of the old junk out. Make sure you don't get ANY dirt or water in the fluid. Be sure to wipe the cap of the resevoir prior to opening it each time.
+1 I used MOTUL 600 http://www.motul.com/

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will it really hurt anything to leave the old clutch fluid in there....or just keep giving me that same "mushy" feeling?

Also I take it I can pick up some good clutch fluid at any local parts store right?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
9,491 Posts
Clutch fluid=brake fluid. Use any DOT 4 fluid for the clutch.
You may have some air in the system in which case just sucking down the reservoir won't help because that doesn't remove any air. If you don't want to go through the full bleeding procedure at the slave cylinder (and it is a PITA) you can try the alternate bleeding procedure recommended in the manual. After replacing the fluid in the reservoir, pump the pedal rapidly for about 30 seconds, then pause and do it again. Repeat a few times and check the fluid level, it may have gone down if there was air expelled.
After doing the above you may notice an improvement in the pedal feel.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Fox Mulder said:
This refers to the clutch fluid, not the trans fluid. Although it may be beneficial to change the trans fluid as well to a synthetic ATF of your choice, this will have no effect on the clutch operation although shifting will be improved.
Problems with the clutch pedal are typically due to contaminated fluid as quoted and can be taken care of by a thorough flush with new fluid.
Lol...that dawned on me this morning when we went for a drive. And here last night I was snickering at Ed and wondering how a tranny fluid change was going to affect the clutch feel.

At least I had an excuse :drink:

Its still under warranty and not that big an issue, so I'll just wait a month or two when I'm driving my Bonneville more, and will let the dealer change it out. They seem to do pretty good work at my dealer.

Gerry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts