LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read alot about the GTO having clutch problems im getting a GTO in Jan. have you guys had alot of problems with your clutch? Because if so i might got with and Auto. should i go with an Auto or Stick?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Any LS1 car has a weak clutch. It's not a GTO specific thing. Don't let it disuade you from an M6 car though. The costs of replacing a clutch with a strong aftermarket one are cheaper than building a 4L60E, putting a converter in it, removing torque management, increasing shift points, line pressure, etc.

·
Registered
65 Posts
BigZell40 said:
Ive read alot about the GTO having clutch problems im getting a GTO in Jan. have you guys had alot of problems with your clutch? Because if so i might got with and Auto. should i go with an Auto or Stick?
Although I loathe the quirks we've been having with the manual trans, I still would never buy an auto. First, I told my kids that they had to learn to drive on a stick because: "you don't DRIVE and automatic, you guide it..." and I just can't see buying a 350+hp car in an automatic... it's just doesn't make sense to me. Granted, you can mash the accel. through traffic while holding your morning coffee, but jeesh. My personal opinion... for what it's worth. I love yanking on a stick. :driving:

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
If you sit in major metro area rush hours, flexing a SPEC Stage 3 clutch pedal with increased pressure plate spring rates, you'd think differently. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
If you sit in major metro area rush hours, flexing a SPEC Stage 3 clutch pedal with increased pressure plate spring rates, you'd think differently. :)
Very good point. That's why I have an auto for work and trips and such. I bought the GTO for pleasure driving. It's never seen heavy traffic and probably never will.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
LOL

Btw CMNT where did you get your Taylor 10.4 mm plug wires....and the NGK's for that matter?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Speed Inc.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Lady Goat said:
Very good point. That's why I have an auto for work and trips and such. I bought the GTO for pleasure driving. It's never seen heavy traffic and probably never will.
Understandable. But I am possibly looking at GTO #2 as an everyday driver and there is noooo way I'm getting an M6 for this one.

I love shifting, but not sitting on "The 294" crawling along at 5mph actuating a 2,800lb spring rate pressure plate. I've done it a few times (nice days) and when I get to work actually have a hard time walking for a few hours.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Speed Inc.
Thanks...I may be getting those, their CAI and Loudmouth sometime soon. They have no loudmouth's in stock right now. Jon is trying to find a compatible (blue) Holley air filter to replace the standard one they use. Just for appearance purposes only.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
When he finds one, I want one too. But I have not had any luck either.

They must've sold those loudmouth's like widlfire after everyone hearing mine. He had a bunch in stock when I stopped by to pick mine up. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts