LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
14s lol
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a RPS twin friction (not twin disc) clutch in the car since 2006/2007. Car has only 39k miles on it, clutch has maybe 10-11k on it. It's never really slipped or had issues, but it chatters like crazy and the pedal feel isn't all that great. I'm getting a weird noise when decelerating that sounds like gears spinning up when downshifting and letting the clutch out (not consistent, but after a hard run it'll do it in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th) I'm concerned the pilot bearing is going bad, or there's some other issue going on with the clutch system. The pedal is releasing almost all the way at the top of the pedal travel as well. I'm on a stock master, and a slave was put in at the same time as the clutch.

This car is not my daily, and I use it for canyon carving mainly. It's not setup for drag racing, and I have r888's on all 4 corners and kw v3 coilovers. I recently sold a 2002 Camaro SS that I put an ls7 clutch in with a tick master, and the car drove great (that car put down about 360rwhp). Many c6 z06 guys say the ls7 clutch doesn't handle abuse well, but I'm not doing clutch dumps on slicks trying to cut low 60' times. I'm hoping the clutch is the issue with the noise I'm hearing and not an internal problem with the trans.

Any recommendations on a clutch? Would the ls7 hold up okay? I'd consider a tick master, but I see a lot of mixed results on their master for 04-06 GTO.

·
My other car has wings
443 Posts
Get in touch with Andy at Kollar Racing (a sponser of our site). He recommended and sold me a clutch for my 2006 that has been awesome. I'm putting down 410 RWHP but the clutch is good for 550 (Monster Level 2). Drives like the OEM clutch but grips like superglue. Invest in a new pilot bearing and slave cylinder while you are in there. I'm thinking your current slave is bad or it was not shimmed properly at installation.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,051 Posts
Talk to Kollar.
Monster Stage 2 or LT1-S (love mine).

·
Registered
198 Posts
I third that "Monster level 2".

·
Kollar Racing Products
5,418 Posts
Monster Level 2 Single unto 450 HP...500 up a Monster Street Twin.....PM to save on Monster

·
My other car has wings
443 Posts
I thought the Monster Level 2 was good for 550 RWHP/RWT? At least thats what it says on Monster's website?

·
14s lol
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For those of you with the twin disc clutches, how much noise are you getting at idle with the clutch out in traffic? My RPS clutch makes a ton of noise--I'm looking for something quieter. Did any of you upgrade the master at the same time?

·
Machine04
555 Posts
For those of you with the twin disc clutches, how much noise are you getting at idle with the clutch out in traffic? My RPS clutch makes a ton of noise--I'm looking for something quieter. Did any of you upgrade the master at the same time?
When I'm in 4th up until 2k, I get the annoying rattle from the LT1-S. I'm going to go to a single disc monster level 2 this fall, and see if it can hold. The rattle is pretty embarrasing going through town. No nosie at idle.

·
Registered
173 Posts
LS7 Clutch with 443 RWHP, so far so good.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
I've had a RPS twin friction (not twin disc) clutch in the car since 2006/2007. Car has only 39k miles on it, clutch has maybe 10-11k on it. It's never really slipped or had issues, but it chatters like crazy and the pedal feel isn't all that great. I'm getting a weird noise when decelerating that sounds like gears spinning up when downshifting and letting the clutch out (not consistent, but after a hard run it'll do it in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th) I'm concerned the pilot bearing is going bad, or there's some other issue going on with the clutch system. The pedal is releasing almost all the way at the top of the pedal travel as well. I'm on a stock master, and a slave was put in at the same time as the clutch.

This car is not my daily, and I use it for canyon carving mainly. It's not setup for drag racing, and I have r888's on all 4 corners and kw v3 coilovers. I recently sold a 2002 Camaro SS that I put an ls7 clutch in with a tick master, and the car drove great (that car put down about 360rwhp). Many c6 z06 guys say the ls7 clutch doesn't handle abuse well, but I'm not doing clutch dumps on slicks trying to cut low 60' times. I'm hoping the clutch is the issue with the noise I'm hearing and not an internal problem with the trans.

Any recommendations on a clutch? Would the ls7 hold up okay? I'd consider a tick master, but I see a lot of mixed results on their master for 04-06 GTO.
LS7 clutch is good to 550...
I'm making 610 to the tires and still not having issues with it. Installed it 2 years and 30k miles ago

·
Clean is good...
2,464 Posts
My Monster 3 has been great for 10K miles with a stroked 404 making ~550/~500 at the wheels. the pedal feels great and it holds well. Be sure to go with a remote bleeder too. Good luck.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I run a Mcleod RST twin disk at about 600whp with no major complaints to speak of. If you're planning on making more power in the future its definitely a good investment to go overkill on your clutch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm running a Monster LT1-S Twin disc clutch and it feels great. I also upgraded my Master Cylinder with one from Tick Performance. If you change the clutch be sure to change the slave cylinder out as well. They're cheap and its easy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Another vote for Monster Stage 2. I’m making just under 420rwhp. No problems at all. Quiet and feels like the stock clutch.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I've run the gambit of clutches on my car. My first performance clutch was a Monster Stage 3 and it was a great clutch...unless you daily drive your car in traffic. The two RST clutches I've had, to include my current clutch, seem to have a fair amount of chatter, especially, at lower speeds. From what i've read across forums, it seems to be a common trait with twin disc clutches. I had a Monster Stage II and it held pretty well for street use, was quiet and had good pedal feel but when i started beating on it at the track you could tell it didn't like it. When i took it off and replaced it with the current RST, you could see the burn spots on the flywheel and disc. It's all about tradeoffs, unfortunately, but with your power level and bein N/A i would think the Stage II or LS7 clutch would be fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts