LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had it up on the rollers at Speed Inc. today and Jim worked his magic. While the numbers aren't as orgasmic as many are expecting, it is an 11.4rwhp improvement over the Speed Inc. CAI alone.

Final dyno numbers: 326.4rwhp & 330.8 lbs-ft of torque

There is a lot of issue with the timing problems I was having. The IAT is pulling a ton of timing and Jim had to adjust the IAT vs. Timing advance table to pull less.

Anyway, here is the video with the headers. There are two runs on the one video.

http://www.ls1speed.com/movies/lanedyno.WMV

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
well its a bit hard to hear the sound b/c of the echoing. but from what i can tell it sounds good.

out of curiosity, what was the gain w/ only the LS1 intake?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
313 something. 313.7 I believe.

Yes, there is an echo, but that is FAR louder on the rollers than it was with the stock manifolds.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
I guess that pretty much blows all the "XX hp gain" crap all the manufacturers quote right out of the water eh?

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes and no. I've also had problems with timing. So my numbers may be a tad low. AS well as different testing criteria (I.E. temp, humidity, etc). The CAI was also tested on a cold car in January/February. A far different air quality than today's 79*. SAE can correct, but there can still be some variance.

Also, keep in mind, that if you plan anything big (heads & cam, stroker, S/C, turbo), the gains you get from them will comensurately be larger vs. the stock manifolds and will payoff more at that point.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Actually those numbers dont look bad. What was your base line? It looks like intake and headers net @ 40 hp assuming the 285 at the wheels is the standard baseline.

Sad as this may sound, I'm getting them more for the sound. Real HP gains won't be realized until I pick up a few thousand on a side job and throw heads/cam in. The headers will give me 20 to 30 with the cats, but the real benifit is the sound.

·
549 RWHP and 569 TQ
414 Posts
What kind of timing issues were you having? I was having trouble with my fuel trims being way high and timing being pulled after the first couple LS1edit tunes. It seems to be better now but I haven't been to the track because it's freakin' 95 deg. everyday with 98 % humidity. Just curious if its the same problem and what you did to fix it.

Dave

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was down big time.

Back in February;
Stock: 298rwhp
Speed Inc CAI: 314rwhp

A few weeks ago, I stopped by and Jon made two pulls on the dyno, they were a highly dissappointing;
283rwhp and 287rwhp (this was with the Speed Inc CAI too!).

So in the process of trying to find the culprit, I made many a run in my favorite industrial park in the wee hours of the morning. I immediately noted that I was only getting 16-18* of timing at WOT throttle with no KR. I found my culprit. I also noted that IAT temps were 90+ on a 50* night. So I went back and tried tricking the IAT to 57* with the timing tricker mod. I gained a few, 18-20 but still way off from where LS1's like. Since then it was a matter of finding out what was driving this. According to Jim, The IAT vs timing table was being killed because of the high IAT temps. It was backing off timing killing the initial advance. He fixed it, so that this table's IAT wouldn't draw on timing as much. He said he was getting 25* or so which is much more normal. I was also running rich from about 4,500 rpm up

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It would set it for a constant 57*. I'm not sure how it would affect that table I mentioned though.

Running it at 57* in 50-60* weather isn't bad. Running it at 57* in 90* weather may cause some issues.

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
350 rwhp may be difficult to obtain with only bolt ons, whats next Lane? Thanks for being the Guiny pig.

·
4L60E+moded ls1+saudi = bad
710 Posts
even with the annoying echo it sounds good :)
good job

·
4L60E+moded ls1+saudi = bad
710 Posts
Is it better at high speed with these LT's?
have you tryed the top speed with them? lol

·
Registered
349 Posts
I see from your sig that you have a M6. I've never seen a dyno run before. It looks like the car is never shifted out of 1st gear, is that true? During the run, is the throttle gradually opened, or is it just stomped on?

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
They run them in the gear that will provide a 1/1 ratio inhte final drive. Thats Transmision + rear Dif. I think it is 3rd or 4th on these cars.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WE cropped the video. You didn't see Jim gradually run it through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, then into 4th, which is stated is the 1:1 ratio, is rolled into full throttle.

Conversely on an A4, 3rd gear is your 1:1 and most dyno places will release the roller brake then hammer it. They sometimes lock the converter (use a Tech2 or other device to keep the car from shifting to 4th and locking the converter in a 1:1 ratio also), for slightly better numbers. Since I don't have auto cars to dyno, I may have missed a thing or two, but with 6 speeds, you simply normally accelerate it on the dyno until you get into 4th.

6th gear in our car is a .67:1 ratio (or something like that) and wouldn't work.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dark said:
Is it better at high speed with these LT's?
have you tryed the top speed with them? lol
Generally L.T.'s will produce better torque numbers. There isn't much place around here during the day that is condusive to high speed runs.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's the dyno chart

Here's the dyno chart.

While the peak numbers may be a tad low, take a look at the torque curve. It's as flat as Lake Michigan. This can be attributable to the headers as well as the tuning.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts