·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
wonder if my server will die, if it does, it will surely be bandwidth abuse.... have fun!

·
wheel hop tamer
271 Posts
so what exhaust? cam? etc? sounds wicked... how is it IN the car?

·
Great Lakes Moderator
2,358 Posts
Damn,damn,damn!! I keep getting an 'invalid page fault' with my realplayer.... I NEED A NEW COMPUTER!!!!!!!!!

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
In that video, Lane had a SLP loudmouth and SW long tubes with cats. Lane can speak for how is car was without cats but it wasn't too over the top, at the limit of whats acceptable on the street.

·
"YELOJKT"
784 Posts
Sounds good!

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
loudmouth :gr_jest: sounds good

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Yea, that was an easy launch and only 1st gear run as I was down in the Chicago Park District area (runners, dog walkers, etc).

First I ran the SW LT's without cats and the Loudmouth and it was orgasmic. However, if you are in constant orgasmic state, it becomes painful after awhile trying to maintain it. This was the case here. Inside the car it drones, and mid throttle loads would cause something to vibrate annoyingly in the ceilng of the car. It was something in the dome light. With the windows down it was unbelievable. Problem is, the little lady DID'NT like it. She heard me get on it one morning about a mile away from here place. Not Good! So I was ordered to quiet it down. And before I get ridiculed for listening to her, I was in agreement, honestly! To put it in perspective. At idle it was louder than my heads and cammed Camaro and at WOT, was equally as loud.

Anyway now that I added the cats (which is what you here in that video), It has cut down the raspiness, cackliness, crackliness ten fold. It gives it a deep, rich, bassy profundo sound. While on it, you can obviously tell it's a V8. However cruising, it's very tame. inside the car you almost don't hear it. Well, you do, but it's not obnoxious and normal conversation can be had. Before hand, one had to raise their voice to have a conversation.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Did you try the long tubes with the stock catback? I'm still interested in hearing the sound of that - I'm hoping it will give me a very similar sound to what you are running now.
Dan

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Yes,due to pipe sizing it sounded like sh*t. The headers and down pipes are 3". The stock cat-back is 2.25" so at the flange when the exhaust pulses would hit the smaller diameter flange, you'd get a popping sound at WOT.

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
So then are there any mufflers that might quiet it down some without having to put cats back on?
Dan

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
The only "bolt-in" true muffler for it is SLP's own Power-Flo. Otherwise I ordered two MagnaFlow mufflers that were 20" long (4" round) vs. the SLP's of 18". So one would have to cut an inch off each end and then "flare" one end, "reduce" the other so that it would be a slip fit like the rest of the system.

Since the cats did the trick I wanted, I won't put the mufflers on and will return them to Jeg's.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Yes,due to pipe sizing it sounded like sh*t. The headers and down pipes are 3". The stock cat-back is 2.25" so at the flange when the exhaust pulses would hit the smaller diameter flange, you'd get a popping sound at WOT.
So you are telling me my car sounds like sh8t? Jon's too?

I think they sound kind of sweet, Especialy Jon's with the cam.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
They sounded good until I went this route. What sounds like sh*t in comparison is that popping at WOT as the exhaust pulses hit the flange. I realized this was the cause when I looked at the header pipe diameter vs. stock cat-back piping diameter. Ths sound of the exhaust itself sounds good with the headers.

And Jon doesn't suffer from this issue unless he's put on a set of headers. But last I heard, he had the stock manifolds on so this isn't an issue.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Jon put the SW LT's on over Labor day weekend. Headers and cam. Sounds sweet.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Then he suffers from that "Popping" to and with a cam, it's probably even more exagerrated. The overall sound is good. It's just that popping (or crackling sound) that drove me nuts when I'd get on it.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Once again for CLARITY as I have to leave and won't be able to debate this.

The stock cat-back (or that with the MagnaFlow mufflers like I had) sounds fine/good with the headers.....

EXCEPT for the "opping/crackling" you get only at WOT due to the difference in pipe diameters. This is what sounds like sh*t!

And that's my personal opinion. If you like that, fine. But I am allowed to have my "opinion" and it's exactly that, an opinion. Build a bridge, get over it. :)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts