LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Drive Hybrid, More Gas For Me
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i started to pull away from the light i looked in the mirror and there was a Cobalt SS. I'm still not sure what was wrong with him though cuz as soon as he got a chance he went flyin' around me like his ass was on fire. We ended up at the next red together and he looks over at me with a shit-eatting grin (hat side ways and in the "gangsta lean" position) rolls down his window and starts revin' the hell outta his engine. I proceed to laugh and rev to about 4k in return. Green, we both pull away slow and i'm about to shift to second when i hear him get on it. I look over and he seriously wants a piece. I let him get about a car ahead and gun it (about 25mph), barked 2nd and short-shifted into third (about 60mph). I'm not sure exactly how far back he was, probably 1 car or less. As i was turning off shortly after, the kid went by laughing and pointing as if you whooped my ass! I looked at my friend a little :confused: cause the only other car i've had do this to me is a civic. The best part though was my friend gettin' to see my car in action. He was like holy sh*t this thing really is fast.

I just hope the Cobalt SS doesn't turn into the Civic Si with every ricerboy thinkin' he's tough shit cause he's got the "performance" model.

Oh well it was fun none the less!

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
The cobalt ss isnt a performance car. Some people.

·
3,256 Posts
well...........ummm if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, granted the track kinda sucks, but out in Kenedale Texas (1/8th mile), I saw a Cobalt SS make an 04 look just silly. The best the GTO managed was low 10s (from the two runs I saw) and the Cobalt managed mid 9s. It was quite disheartening to say the least.......

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
TXGTOU said:
well...........ummm if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, granted the track kinda sucks, but out in Kenedale Texas (1/8th mile), I saw a Cobalt SS make an 04 look just silly. The best the GTO managed was low 10s (from the two runs I saw) and the Cobalt managed mid 9s. It was quite disheartening to say the least.......

10s? someone can't drive

·
3,256 Posts
ShaneD_06GTO said:
10s? someone can't drive
I think it was a combination of the driver and the track. There was a new-body style turbo Mustang GT (I could hear the BOV when he'd stage) that was running consistently high 9s. And there was another Mustang GT running 10s. I'd have to say that the whole track was probably crap, but the Cobalt SS still managed to surprise a few people.

·
9 Second Club
14,787 Posts
Not-Dads-Goat said:
I just hope the Cobalt SS doesn't turn into the Civic Si with every ricerboy thinkin' he's tough shit cause he's got the "performance" model. Oh well it was fun none the less!
I think they are already there. Apparently there is a lot of GM propoganda/hype to screw people into buying these things. I had a guy at Denton all over me to run a couple of months ago. I mean every time I got in the staging lanes there he was wanting to measure his SS Cobalt against me. I think I was about a second and a half faster than him. After I whipped his ass I asked him to leave me alone because it was dangerous to be running against someone that much slower. He was cool about it, said the salesman told him GTOs weren't as fast as the SS Cobalts. One thing for sure, those SS Cobalts will whip the chit out of any 2007 Pontiacs. I'd wager they would murder a Solstice, even the high end one.

I'd recalled in another post someone talking about a GTO running 9s. That is pretty much the average for the tracks around here for first timers in the heat with poor track preparation. The cars have mid to low 8s in them stock but track variables are killers around here.

·
Ka-Boom!
1,987 Posts
Are they really something to worry about? I have had a few sideways hat guys rev at me at lights but payed no mind.

·
Traded Power for Luxury
450 Posts
I revved at a slobalt SS one time at a light and he laughed and shook his head. Then he gave me a nod...

When the light turned green, I waited for him to go, he was giving her all she was worth, even squealing the tires, needless to say, by the time we got across the intersection, I had caught up and was screaming by him. I gave him a little chirp in second and put some distance on him.

I slowed back down to 55 and let him catch up, he gave me a thumbs up still shaking his head, I was laughing my ass off, I guess I was just showing off

oh and my best 1/8th is in the high 8's (and that was completely stock)

·
F-body owner
1,437 Posts
Before I got an LS1 in 1998, I only had "sporty" cars with under 200 hp. I always had fun seeing how much faster the real muscle cars were and how I compared. I figured they had fun showing off. Didn't realize that some were probably stuck up jerks who look down on others. Thanks for making me aware which ones some of you guys are...

·
4 Doors?
1,196 Posts
TXGTOU said:
10's ouch thats not very good. I thought I couldnt drive very well and I got a 8.2 first time at a track.

It would make a fun D/D. I also pull up to faster cars sometimes just to see them run. But I would catch up to them and give the thumbs up. Not do a ricer flyby.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If GM didn't have to slap the SS emblem on half the vehicles they make, we wouldn't have this problem. I'm still waiting on pics of the new Aveo SS to come out.

·
4 Doors?
1,196 Posts
1fstmach said:
Don't forget there are 2 SS verisons

one supercharged and one not

now w/ the pontiac G5 (same thing)

Actually I think they didn't give the S/C to the G-5 yet. Just the 172hp 2.4 I think.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
2 Blue GTO said:
If GM didn't have to slap the SS emblem on half the vehicles they make, we wouldn't have this problem. I'm still waiting on pics of the new Aveo SS to come out.
Mad tyte aveos! ftw!!!!

·
From a Bonnie Lass to a Goat!
100 Posts
From Intense-racing.com one of their team members is Rob Archer:

"Rob lives in Indianapolis, IN and drives an '06 Chevrolet Cobalt SS. Rob is an ASE and GM Certified Technician with over 16 years experience. He has been drag racing cars for more than 30 years and brings a wealth of knowledge and tuning skills to our team.

Rob's Cobalt has the INTENSE stage3 kit, Corsa Touring cat back exhaust system, and the INTENSE oversize tensioner pulley He dyno'd 270WHP and 236WTQ with just the stg3 kit and recently dyno'd 276 WHP and 258WTQ with the corsa and a 2.6" pulley. Rob recently accomplished his goal of being the first street Cobalt into the 12s with his best ET on 4/5/06 a [email protected] w/ 1.82 60' and he plans on improving that dramatically this year."

These Cobalts can be fast, but it takes some modding.

·
04 A4
496 Posts
2 Blue GTO said:
i completely agree. SS means nothing to me now.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
A stage 3 kit barely cracking 12s, and being the only one to do it at that..... this means a cobalt can't be fast.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
GT_Owned said:
i completely agree. SS means nothing to me now.
Seeing them means something to me.... it means I get angry when I see them, and hate those cars more than anything.

·
Bite my shiny metal ass
7,889 Posts
Xac Xado said:
From Intense-racing.com one of their team members is Rob Archer:

"Rob lives in Indianapolis, IN and drives an '06 Chevrolet Cobalt SS. Rob is an ASE and GM Certified Technician with over 16 years experience. He has been drag racing cars for more than 30 years and brings a wealth of knowledge and tuning skills to our team.

Rob's Cobalt has the INTENSE stage3 kit, Corsa Touring cat back exhaust system, and the INTENSE oversize tensioner pulley He dyno'd 270WHP and 236WTQ with just the stg3 kit and recently dyno'd 276 WHP and 258WTQ with the corsa and a 2.6" pulley. Rob recently accomplished his goal of being the first street Cobalt into the 12s with his best ET on 4/5/06 a [email protected] w/ 1.82 60' and he plans on improving that dramatically this year."

These Cobalts can be fast, but it takes some modding.
I've got a friend with one and I'll be helping him mod it.

BTW to the haters not everyone can afford GTO's. Young Marine with a wife and two kids means he needs to be responsible. He's a big GTO fan but has to live within his means. I won't beat him down for that. While there are alot of poser's in the SS crowd I don't think for a minute this is one. Haven't seen a blown poser lately. Good to see the general putting something out there for the compact crowd or else they would go buy elsewhere. JMOP

1 - 20 of 110 Posts