LS1GTO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
GTOAA 04-06 Tech Advisor
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so pumped I can barely type. My buddy who owns an 03 Cobra picked me up to take me to the dealer to pick up my car. Car was getting the bolts and bushings installed to stop the thunking. Works GREAT, btw. During a test drive, he told me no one would mess with him on the road. Hehehe, so I told him I would follow him to his house. We hit every light (something like 12) all green. I have never hit so many green lights. So on the way he takes a different route to a deserted 6 lane road. He slowed so I pulled in next to him. We stopped and I told him to say the word. He says "On the 3rd honk". He honks 3 times and and we go. Now, his Cobra is not stock. He has the smaller blower pulley, Diablo chip and a CAI. I did a 3 grand slipping clutch launch, and instantly pulled 1/2 car. That put me next to the blower which sounded cool. But I didn't have time to listen to it as I was pulling away HARD. Like I predicted some time ago, he could not get the power to the ground. He was spinning away and I was leaving. 15 to 20 car lengths by the time I was in 3rd. It was so bad, we didn't even talk about it when we got to his house. But we did note his tires had picked up a lot of small rocks showing his tires were hot. It was a great evening. No thunks and a Cobra kill. Yeeee-haaaa. Gee-To-Tiger!!!!

Jerry

·
American Iron Horse
406 Posts
Congrats!!!

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
i drank 4 ya

·
Registered
48 Posts
hmm, as much as i enjoy hearing about a cobra going down, this story just doesn't sit well with me. unless you were heavily modded or something, that cobra should have had no problem beating you. now you stated that he was spinning all the way, but to me there comes a point in like every drivers head where you LET OFF THE GAS to gain traction and then get into it again. i don't want to call bs, but it seems to me that if your story is true that the person you raced doesn't know how to drive when it comes to racing

·
GTOAA 04-06 Tech Advisor
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, I will give you every bit of it came down to the person driving. He has had the car for a year and knows it well. But the intial jump of the GTO got him going. You don't have one so you don't know what I am talking about, but the GTO squats real low on initial take-off doing a great job of weight transfer. We also have a great amount of low end torque. Just look at some of the dyno charts on here. The Cobra has no where near the same amount of low end grunt. He was bitching about that the day I got the car and let him drive. He is my best friend and like my little brother. He is also a LT in the Navy (I'm retired from the Navy).
Whatever, doesn't matter. What matters is, *I* was there and saw a Cobra in the rearview and the was f*cking awesome.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
At the local drag strip's Test and Tune event last night, the Cobras were definitely the fastest "stock" street cars. An impressive victory on your part, but be advised not to try that with every Cobra.

Still, savor it! And rag on your friend for us. ;)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Great job!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
ok, are you sure this was on 03 cobra? if so than it would have more hp and torque stock and especially with the mods you said he has. i've ridden in ls1 cars, and i know how they squat down and have great torque down low, but that cobra should have more, especially down low where the roots type supercharger works best. if you would have said it was a stock 03 cobra, then i would have guessed you could have held with it pretty well, but still lost. but if he's got the mods you've listed, you should have easily walked away from you.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The truth will out

Check this thread about Oz LS1-engined cars. Note that the VU-VT-VXs listed were the 305hp rated models. One of them with headers/cold air/edit would be somewhere near a stock GTO (pre-LS6 induction, mild cam). They have nowhere near the GTO's torque and the M6 and A4s we get are not as nice in the ratios drags-wise.

Look at the 13 sec. list and then at the 12s. Apart from 3:73 or 3:9 gears, a couple of cammers and some hi-stalls, by their weights they are pretty stock, unopened-engine street tuners. One of the low 13sec cars is a 4100 lb Statesman Caprice with a cam and torque converter (presumably headers/pipes too) - a long wheelbase luxo-cruiser. Check the 60 foot times. Not fast, but LS1s fly further down the strip and they really rev out on the top end. When GTO's start loosening up at 4-5K I think the times are going to be closer than people thought. GTOs have near 50:50 weight and they transfer good. Keep the wheelspin down and they launch. 3:73 gears are worth 1/2 sec. I would say the HSV cars listed in the 12 sec. list are parity with GTOs. 255Kw in a VX CLubby is 350hp and they got 3:73 gears which puts them close to a GTO with it's better torque and gears.

Cheap mod to get in the 12's? 3:7 or 3:9 gears.

Oz LS1 Times

·
Autobahn Fahrer
2,811 Posts
bronko91 said:
Oh, I will give you every bit of it came down to the person driving. He has had the car for a year and knows it well. But the intial jump of the GTO got him going. You don't have one so you don't know what I am talking about, but the GTO squats real low on initial take-off doing a great job of weight transfer. We also have a great amount of low end torque. Just look at some of the dyno charts on here. The Cobra has no where near the same amount of low end grunt. He was bitching about that the day I got the car and let him drive. He is my best friend and like my little brother. He is also a LT in the Navy (I'm retired from the Navy).
Whatever, doesn't matter. What matters is, *I* was there and saw a Cobra in the rearview and the was f*cking awesome.
What grade did you retire? US Army Captain here.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
TO those that are bitchin that the CObra *should've* smoked the GTO, missed one little detail in Bronko's recast of the race.

The Cobra was spinning it's tires! The proof was that the tires were sticky enough to retain all the pebbles in the road further proving that the tires were spinning, heating up and not pushing the car forward.

Traction won Bronko this race flat and simple, deal with it!

I had a similar situation against a Weiand blown Vette (some 800 hp worth according to the owner) at Route 66 a few years back against me and my little ol head and cammed LS1. X-mas tree went down, we both launched, he over launched and blew the tires out from underneath the thing, I WAS GONE!!!

It happens to the best of us, I've had a few races on the street were I've had a handful on my hands because I over launched the car and payed the price with wheelspin and had to rely on sheer engine power to run them back down.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Can someone please tell me, in a street race sence, which car more than any other, over there in the States, has the biggest street cred, and strikes more fear than any other car. From alot of which I read, the Mustang/Cobras seem to be near to the top of the tree, and command alot of respect, from everyone, even if your not a Ford man. So which car more than any other...

Is it......

GTO
Viper
Corvette
Mustang
Camaro
TA

Or possibly, Skylines or Supras, or something else.....
Over here in NZ, Skylines are at the top, with Holdens right up there.
Whilst in Australia, Holdens have more "street cred" than any other car, including Ferrari, Merc, BMW.

There was a little story I read, where they took a new Monaro to the Outback, and parked it next to a Porsche GT3 outside a pub, and everyone came out to have a look at the Monaro.. The Porsche may as well have been invisible.
Now thats what I mean by "Street Cred"...

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Any American Muscle car has street creds.

Although here in the states, mustangs are like a$$holes cause everyone has one and most are V6's. Then you step into the GT category and most owners with their high 13 second low 14 second car think they're untouchable. They make a lot of noise from their exhausts, but they usually get a rude awakening. Then there is the older Fox body style mustang (the old 5.0's) that most on the street are driven by 16 year olds or Mexican's and generally are a waste of gas to run as it's over by the top of first gear. Then there are the Cobra's and new Cobra R's. Those are the ones with the most credibility, but they aren't very common. Most serious mustangs are highly built monsters that only see track duty.

Just about anything with an LS1 has some pretty good street credentials and there will always be the Mustang vs. Camaro/Trans Am rivalry regardless.

There is some trucks actually getting into it with the Lightning, and highly modifiable Chevy trucks. The new Ram SRT-10 while being on sale, isn't a common vehicle.

Then there are the Imports. While Supra's, older 300 ZX's, WRX's and Evo's get respect, the rest of the import contingent is nothing more than stickers, wings, big exhaust and other "rice" which are easily disposed of with your Mother's base model family truckster, let alone any serious car. Skylines are not sold here.

·
Registered
48 Posts
first of all noone's bitchin about a gto beating a cobra. i'm a gm guy and enjoy hearing when 03 cobras lose to gm cars. it just seems very far fetched that a cobra with those mods lost by 15 to 20 cars to a stock or near stock gto. i understand that the tires were spinning, but common sense would suggest that hey, i should let off the gas so i quit spinning and actually gain traction at some point, but apparently the guy driving the cobra didn't let off. if he didn't ever let off to gain traction and just let the thing boil the tires off, then yes the gto would win.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Cobra Kill

What happens, happens. What did, did. No power applied to the ground equals a loss. Congratulations!...;>) I hope you were gentleman enough to go back and help him look for his doors...;>)

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.