LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like most of the solutions out there do not really give you "cold air" for lack of a better term.. To me it seems that the cone kits by K&N and the likes would just suck in heat soaked eir from the engine bay, and really not be all that much better than stock.. Any vendors making a ram air setup for the GTO?

·
Registered
25 Posts
its not just the difference between cold air and warm air...its also how restrictive the stock setup is compared to an aftermarket setup....

like humans, cars run better when they can breathe better :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
whiffer said:
its not just the difference between cold air and warm air...its also how restrictive the stock setup is compared to an aftermarket setup....

like humans, cars run better when they can breathe better :)
Agreed, but IMO you need the whole package ( lees restriction and cooler air) to really see a benefit.. Cooler air is denser which means more power..

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Joel said:
Agreed, but IMO you need the whole package ( lees restriction and cooler air) to really see a benefit.. Cooler air is denser which means more power..
yes, you will see the MOST gain from a both. most of the system out right now should be called an HFI (high flow induction). check out the MPD box and LPE box.
also blitzu is working on a true cold air intake prototype with speed inc.
and MDMC also has a cold air intake setup. ask PadreGTO or MDMC about that

·
Blue Thunder
821 Posts
I think the best setup would be a modified stock box with a K&N, and a CS perf. tube. The stock box dosnt look that restrictive, and especially after you cut it, it gets plenty of air from the fender area.

I baught the LS1speed induction, and that made my car run like complete crap, so I just put my stock box back on and kept the tube, and that works awsome.

-Brian

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
I did the Monaro CAI with the 2-hole mod and it really increased the induction sound. I can't verify if it added any horsepower. I also made sure the airbox is sealed from any hot engine air by applying insulating adhesive backed foam in all the little nook and crannies surrounding the engine bay. Most of the air box accepts the air from the opening behind the driver side headlamp.

Unless your cone air filter is sealed with a pod or a box you are most likely experiencing hot air induction. A lot of Australian Monaro owners swear by the Monaro 2 hole CAI mod to improve the induction in their cars. I have done a lot of reading and surfing on this subject after I made a mistake of drilling multiple holes in my original air box. Now, I only have 2 holes: a big one and a REALLY big one. I am also thinking of switching the factory stock intake tube with the accordion middle into a HSV GTS solid intake tube. I think under WOT the throttle is creating so much negative pressure that the stock tube is probably "collapsing" under the pressure thereby causing more restriction. Stay away from any metal intake tube. They will just act as a heat soak and warm the air as it travels from your airbox into your throttle, which kinda defeats the purpose of the cold air induction theory. I also insulated the bottm and side portions of the airbox using fiberglass sheets purchased from Home Depot. Drive your GTO for 15 minutes, pull over, raise the hood, and feel the airbox. Hot isn't it???

:cool:

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
desertgoat said:
I did the Monaro CAI with the 2-hole mod and it really increased the induction sound. I can't verify if it added any horsepower. I also made sure the airbox is sealed from any hot engine air by applying insulating adhesive backed foam in all the little nook and crannies surrounding the engine bay. Most of the air box accepts the air from the opening behind the driver side headlamp.

Unless your cone air filter is sealed with a pod or a box you are most likely experiencing hot air induction. A lot of Australian Monaro owners swear by the Monaro 2 hole CAI mod to improve the induction in their cars. I have done a lot of reading and surfing on this subject after I made a mistake of drilling multiple holes in my original air box. Now, I only have 2 holes: a big one and a REALLY big one. I am also thinking of switching the factory stock intake tube with the accordion middle into a HSV GTS solid intake tube. I think under WOT the throttle is creating so much negative pressure that the stock tube is probably "collapsing" under the pressure thereby causing more restriction. Stay away from any metal intake tube. They will just act as a heat soak and warm the air as it travels from your airbox into your throttle, which kinda defeats the purpose of the cold air induction theory. I also insulated the bottm and side portions of the airbox using fiberglass sheets purchased from Home Depot. Drive your GTO for 15 minutes, pull over, raise the hood, and feel the airbox. Hot isn't it???

:cool:
I for one would like to see pic's of this mod as I am still runnin stock box with
K&N panal filter.

Pictures please

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
It does run cooler once the air is flowing (I.E. the car is moving).

Take a straw, bend it up and try sucking through it. You can have the coldest air in the world, but if it can't get there, it's useless. I'll give up some maximum cold air for greater flowing ability anyday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts