LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
got rice?
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if your cold air intake can hurt your performance rather than help. I ask this because everytime I open the hood there's a ton of heat coming out. When you're accelerating, you're sucking up all that hot air. It seems to me that this heat is only going to hurt performance. They do claim
13-18 rwhp but I don't know. When they do these dyno runs, it's done with the hood open and with the engine cool. My trap speed was 100.74 mph (see signature). When you do mods your mph is supposed to go not down.

I had my car dynoed and I lost about 5 hp and 6 tq on my second run. On the first run my car sat for 45 minutes before taking the first pull. I'm gonna make some passes at the track and change my air box between runs and see what happens.

I can't stand it when companies claim "x" amount of hp and you get "y" instead. They tell you the truth but not the whole truth. Just like SLP, in Pontiac Enthusiast, saying that they took a 04 in showroom trim and went 13.15 @ 106 mph. What they didn't tell you in the article was that they put on drag radials :sneaky: Yes it's stock but I don't remember seeing drag radials in the showroom. Does anyone?

As consumers, we need to start asking more questions about their products and not just take their word for it. After all we do work hard for our money.
Any ideas is appreciated.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
to this day I doubt any of the supposed CAI's actually help......many members have switched back to the stock air box. The only beneficial aftermarket piece is the intake tube.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
a couple things....
hp gains from a mod will very from GTO to GTO, based on differences in atmosphere, temp, humidity, other mods, etc. (the list goes on and on).
so most of the time the manufacturer, will give a range of gain (from X to Y). or they will just give a maximum to be really safe. (read the fine print)

to answer your question about a CAI (or HFI if you prefer) helping or hurting gas mileage,
i installed a thrasher CAI on my 97 GTP, and i swear that it HELPED "cruising" mpg. of course when i had my foot to floor, the gas mileage sucked balls. i also believe that my SLP cat back exhaust helped to improve mileage as well.

now i have the Speed Inc HFI on the GTO. i really cant tell that much of a difference either way. of course, my city mpg sux really bad (but always did). and my highway has stayed about the same. so in my experience, the Speed inc HFI, had little affect of mpg

PS. oh sorry, i thought you were asking about whether a CAI will help or hurt MPG. sorry about that. so you were asking about MPH, right?

if you are talking about MPH, i assume you are talking about trap speeds, right?
well think about it this way, if you install a CAI or HFI on your car and it adds say 15hp (which is probably very optimistic). how much is that really gonna increase your trap speed? im guessing not that much.
but in combination with a cat back exhaust, headers, etc, it will probably help.
geez, i hope this made sense. :rolleyes:

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Hot air intake?

When I see an open cone K&N air filter and a "cold air intake" advertisement I shake my head. When I finally come home and park my goat in the garage, the first thing I do is pop the hood open and leave it up overnight. When I first lift up the hood, you have no idea how hot all that air is under the hood/bonnet that gets trapped in there. These LS1 engines run hot and the engine bay is so small that it is all tightly packed in there.

So when you close this hood over a cold air intake system, I think you essentially created a hot air intake system. I made a mistake when I first got the GTO that more air is good air so I drilled multiple holes in my stock airbox. All I accomplished is to allow more hot engine air to go inside the airbox to get sucked into my MAF pipe and into the TB.

So I set out on a mission to first, allow more cold air into the brand new stock airbox, and second, insulate the airbox from any hot engine air. I browsed the Holden forums and learned evrything about the Monaro 2 hole CAI mod. It involves drilling a second hole in your bottom airbox unit and installing a 3 inch pipe that communicates with the front plastic scoop that sits just behind the headlight.

I also insulated trimmed the plastic in this front scoop (see red arrow in picture) so I could run an air scoop from the existing hole in the front wheel fender to allow more air from under the bumper to reach the airbox. I then insulated the bottom and the engine side of the airbox with fiberglass sheets secured by insulating foam backed tape. I also insulated all other existing holes in the frame that may allow hot engine air into the airbox.

As a result, my induction roar is unbelievable. Once I replace my stock accordion pipe with the CAPA MAF pipe, my intake needs should be completed. I still am not convinced that an exposed cone reusable filter that is not somehow shielded from all the hot LS1 air is doing my throttle body any good. I am trying to cool down the throttle body as much as possible, that's why I performed the TB coolant bypass mod, that's why I will never use an aluminum or steel intake tube, and that's why I will never use an open reusable cone airfilter without the benefit of an airbox shielding it.

The only place my airbox receives air now is the front of the car via 2 large holes on the driver side behind the headlamp and 1 hole just below the wheel fender.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
desertgoat said:
The only place my airbox receives air now is the front of the car via 2 large holes on the driver side behind the headlamp and 1 hole just below the wheel fender.
I would love to see numbers comparing your mod to the open air
filters under IDENTICAL situations. I would bet you would be pleasantly
surprised. :)

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
desertgoat said:
Pleasantly surprised in favor of or against my mod?
Pleasantly surprised that your mod is a better source for air. Of all the
induction mods I have seen, yours is probably the one I'm going to do. Which
by the way I may PM you someday when I get ready to do it. :hail:

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
anytime buddy

Yellow Jacket M6 said:
Pleasantly surprised that your mod is a better source for air. Of all the
induction mods I have seen, yours is probably the one I'm going to do. Which
by the way I may PM you someday when I get ready to do it. :hail:
I looked to the Australians for help and they were more than accomodating. I'll be glad to pass on the info to you when the time comes. You want induction roar and power? You got it!

·
Senior's Member
2,853 Posts
Yellow Jacket M6 said:
Thank you. That is greatly appreciated. I may do it this weekend. :)
DG, I want to make this mod this weekend as well. Please PM me any information that you have. Believe it or not, I've looked a couple times, examined the photos, and I still can't quite see what to do where.

Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
if you are talking about MPH, i assume you are talking about trap speeds, right?
well think about it this way, if you install a CAI or HFI on your car and it adds say 15hp (which is probably very optimistic). how much is that really gonna increase your trap speed? im guessing not that much.
geez, i hope this made sense. :rolleyes:
You're saying I won't gain that much mph. I agree. So look at the trap speed of my signature. Why so low? That's slower than stock .
Yes cars vary from car to car but not as much as they did 10 years ago. Today factories have tighter tolerences at their assembly lines. The slowest I've seen a GTO go in the magazines was 103 mph. Fastest has been
105 mph +. I went slower than the slowest with mods!!! How do you explain that? :banghead:
Thanks.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Snow Goat said:
I went slower than the slowest with mods!!! How do you explain that? :banghead:
Thanks.
Are those hp numbers in your sig stock? If so, those are nice, and with those
numbers you should be hitting those higher mph numbers. A lot of factors
as to why you are low on mph, not the least of which is your driving.
If those hp numbers are after mods, that ain't good. If it is before mods
I would like to see the after numbers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
desertgoat said:
When I first lift up the hood, you have no idea how hot all that air is under the hood/bonnet that gets trapped in there. These LS1 engines run hot and the engine bay is so small that it is all tightly packed in there.
Great pics. Thanks.
I always thought the same thing when it comes to sucking up hot air. The LS1 engines run hot for better emmissions. Unfortunately it hurts horsepower for us gearheads.
Do you or anyone know of any companies that are making truly sealed cold air kits? I'm much of a fabricator like desert goat so I would rather just buy a kit.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yellow Jacket M6 said:
I would love to see numbers comparing your mod to the open air
filters under IDENTICAL situations. I would bet you would be pleasantly
surprised. :)
I think I would be too. If the stock air box outperforms the CAI, I will inform as many people as I can and let them know that it's a waste of money. We'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yellow Jacket M6 said:
Are those hp numbers in your sig stock? If so, those are nice, and with those
numbers you should be hitting those higher mph numbers. A lot of factors
as to why you are low on mph, not the least of which is your driving.
If those hp numbers are after mods, that ain't good. If it is before mods
I would like to see the after numbers.
The numbs on my sig are after the mods. I've been told that my motor isn't broken in yet (1600 miles at the time). I've also been told the weather. Here's a link to all the variables of that day at the track.

http://ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5268

·
Registered
61 Posts
BluGoatDvr said:
I don't know what you are so upset about, its a lot faster than my 14.2 @ 98 mph.
I can't say. I don't know your driving ability, if LS1's need to break in, mileage on your car, weather conditions at the track etc. For all I know you could of granny shifted :driving: (I doubt it though). There's just too many variables that I don't know about.
If you look at my link I explain every possible variable. If you or anyone get chance to check it out go for it. I would love to hear your opinions.

http://ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5268

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Snow Goat said:
The numbs on my sig are after the mods. I've been told that my motor isn't broken in yet (1600 miles at the time). ]
Ahh, yes, that can have a definite impact. It's been said a million times,
but the driver is probably the most important mod. Practice is
essential for getting the most out any car.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yellow Jacket M6 said:
but the driver is probably the most important mod. Practice is
essential for getting the most out any car.
You're right. Practice. Practice through repetition because repetition is the mother of skill. Keep in mind that trap speed is trap speed. Not so much skill just a measurment of horsepower to weight ratio.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
Snow Goat said:
. Keep in mind that trap speed is trap speed. Not so much skill just a measurment of horsepower to weight ratio.
Here I must disagree respectfully. Getting the tires to hookup and
the shifts like butter will get you higher mph's. Not wasting any part of the
track with hesitations or wheelspin. :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts