LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2006 GTO C.G.M. 6 spd., h-pipe, flowmaster mufflers, DSS 1000 h.p. 1 pc. Driveshaft
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never felt completely sold on cold air intakes for any vehicle. However I have tossed the idea around of getting one to compliment my corsa catback. I was wondering what one would be the best to get. I dont like the look of the O.T.R. intakes. Are the cold air induction ones any good? Almost last question is do you gain anything from them, I do know they are the worst hp per dollar value However I would like just a small boost in power. I dont plan on ever tearing into the car and modifying it crazy. Thanks.

·
Wol Gemut
3,424 Posts
well, I really like the Lingenfelter. Fitment is perfect and OTR is also not what I sought. and yes, sotp dyno clearly told me there was a small extra acceleration.

·
Worthless reject member
45,506 Posts
Intakes are more about reducing restriction on a modded vehicle that could use it.

Getting air from a good place (near ambient density and temp) is just a side benefit, and most seem to be designed so this is possible.

If you are near stock, i don't see anything wrong with using the stock intake plus a k&n filter. It's already designed to get air from a good area on the car.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
332 Posts

I have an LPE and did a IAT relocate(located iat inside the air filter). I did before and after draggy runs and picked up a good 0.2 in the 1/4 mile.

that being said I would think the OTR would provide the most power but I didn’t want to hack up my shroud and didn’t like the way it looked. The cold air inductions looks like a solid design as well but aesthetically I liked the lpe the best.
FYI the car just had the LPE intake and a corsa cat back for performance mods on that final run.

·
Yes my name is Holden
546 Posts
Greetings: I have a Volant setting in my spare parts area that I have retired. I can't offer it for sale as my post will disappear? But if you would like to contract me [email protected]. Note additional inlet hole & enlargement. Ole' Bob.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have the Cold Air Inductions and I've been happy with it. It has a nice insulated "box" for the filter that helps prevent heat soak from the engine and you can see how dirty the filter is from the window on top.

Also, with just the intake and no other engine mods I made 350whp on my 06, which either means it did give me some decent gains or my car is a bit of a ringer.

·
Worthless reject member
45,506 Posts
I have the Cold Air Inductions and I've been happy with it. It has a nice insulated "box" for the filter that helps prevent heat soak from the engine and you can see how dirty the filter is from the window on top.

Also, with just the intake and no other engine mods I made 350whp on my 06, which either means it did give me some decent gains or my car is a bit of a ringer.
I used to have one many years ago. They are nice looking air boxes.

Can't say how much improvement it made vs the svede i purchased, but the quality was there.

·
Administrator
8,657 Posts
Reactions: dclaw_fantum

·
Yes my name is Holden
546 Posts
Greetings Guys; The air box hasn't made it to my for sale pile yet. But it's getting close. I would consider offering it to a fellow member before posting. I've done it before & I know you mods don't like me offering things that aren't for sale. I'm a fence setter! I usually want a more personal experience when I part with a part. So when I do part with a part I know you are informed & happy ya made a trade with me. How could I not be this person with a name like mine? I've sold - traded with many over on the G body forum as I passed the care taker job of the Bronze Brick on to a younger fella. I'm sorry I bent your rules again. Ole' Bob. Ps: It's just hard for me not to offer help, parts & good will to fellow Holden owners!

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,273 Posts
Adding to what others have said; it seems that the largest benefit of most cold air intakes is the ability to get the IAT sensor closer to the filter for better data being fed to the computer.
OTR intakes are the least restrictive, but anything that will bring in the least amount of heat soaked air and place the IAT sensor somewhere that will reflect that will help.
The OE airbox breathing through a snorkel hurts it and that's what all of the traditional CAIs eliminate.

My vote is Lingenfelter. I regret selling mine for a Vararam years ago, it was a much nicer setup. VCM is the only aftermarket setup I've liked more.

·
It's only cosmetic...
517 Posts
I bought a Volant last year. I am already planning on changing it out to a Cold Air Inductions intake. The box needed a little tweaking for hole alignment and bolting the MAF onto it was a chore.

Misplaced the CARB EO sticker and tried contacting Volant, but they still haven't responded.

·
Is that FWD?
1,176 Posts
I have true RAM Air OTR intake. I cut my Banshee hood, the Svede fits right up into the front vents and pulls in cold air.

Reactions: ERE and Reaperhwk
1 - 20 of 31 Posts