LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Old Goat
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: As per Svede's suggestion I am giving the intake a name, I shall call it...THE SUPER "STOCK" INTAKE.

I have been wanting to do this for awhile (see sig)!!! 1st the pictures stink as the GOOD digital camera is broke, so the attached pics are from the cell camera. 2nd I realize that it could look prettier, so save your comments on the looks as it appears to be very functional and once the cap is on and all is installed you would never know anything had ever been done, without looking really closely. "See buddy, it's stock right down to the stock airbox!!"

Here is a quick rundown of what was done...

1) 4 1/2" hole saw cut...thanks hardcore!!

2) Stock air scoop that was going in beside radiator modified extensively to fit air box. The inlet where it goes into the stock airbox happens to be the same 4 1/2" as the hole cut into car.

3) Stock airbox cut and modified to fit the air scoop. Kind of a round peg in a square hole. Lots of fiberglass tape, epoxy and black sealant with four nuts and bolts to get the contraption put together, but it's completely sealed .

4) It will go back in the EXACT same spot it came from as you can see in the pics.

I already had a K & N for the air box, so now I need to replace the piping going to the throttle body with something besides the terrible stock piping. I also will re-locate the IAT sensor inside the box...hopefully tommorow. I also will go out tommorow after reassembly and plug in the Predator and get some IAT temps and see how it goes.

I also need a Omega 44005 thermistor to replace the stock one. I also have a setup for an extention from underneath that I am working on. It will have a removeable inlet tube that will normally go down about 12"? (unsure how far for everyday use). And again, as it's removeable, i'll have another one made up to scoop fresh air from underneath the car for the nights at the drag strip!!

Other than that it turned out the way I wanted it to, and I have to imagine that it will have a lot cooler IAT temps. I will update when I find out. Tell me what you guys think???

·
HARDCORE since 1982
3,345 Posts
Not bad. I had thought about doing that first but in the long run is was easer to just replace all the hose

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
it's not a Hardcore. name it a Goat-ee.

·
Old Goat
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Hardcore, yea it was a complete PITA. I'll give it some time and see how I like it before I talk too much about it.

You don't like it Svede? I know it's ugly buy, it seems to be functional. Also the issues of water and filter getting dirty too easily should be fixed. What don't you like about it?

·
Old Goat
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have read that you really need to extend the piping down further than the frame to get to the cooler air. But I wanted to see what the temperatures would look like without the piping, so I hooked up the Predator and did some driving. With an outside temp of 83* and the car setting in the garage all day and then driving around town for about 30 minutes the temp was around 100* setting at a stop light and would slowly lower to about 95* at a constant 45mph. So at constant speed a difference of 12*

I was a little surprised, I expected a little better results than this. The last time I checked, with an outside temp in the mid 90's, the temp at a stop light was in the 120* range and 112-114* on the highway. Highway difference of 18*.

The mod looks to have taken a minimum of 5-6* of temperature out of the IAT, it's something, but I still have a ways to go. So a relocated Omega sensor in new piping from box to TB and extended intake piping below the airbox from the frame is still needed to be installed. So hopefully I will get this stuff ordered from intakehoses.com and Omega.

How much difference does a true hardcore make? So I know what the goal is!!!

·
Blue Thunder
821 Posts
You will really notice a better increase when you put the filter down there. The stock box will get heatsoaked really bad, and youll still be getting hot air. I like the design though, its really stealth looking.

See the last post here for my results: http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100271

·
Old Goat
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey IBM I just checked out your setup...that's very nice. I would be thrilled with 5* over ambient and quick response once moving!! Maybe i'll do some ordering tonight!!!

·
It was a...
2,322 Posts
It's fugly but functional - I give it a :thumbs: for innovation!

Maybe put an elbow on under the fender well to try to direct more air up into the box? Should be an easy thing to do...

·
Old Goat
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Getting ready to work three 12 hour days and then off three days, after that I plan on doing more piping from below to bring in more cool air.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
didn't say i disliked it at all. i like the innovation. what you did is what i think the k&n/LPE crowd should be doing to get a real CAI. a scoop would help quite a bit tho. i say call it a Goat-ee because it isn't a hardcore nor like anybody elses. somehow hardcore co-opted (to adopt or appropriate something such as an idea as your own) the under the fender intake. there is only one hardcore and that uses hardcore's parts. the style hardcore used was copied from others ideas (BTW, the thermistor find was mine). give others some credit and you can take yours too.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Ahh, so you were the original Omega finder :)? Nice work! I guess I am the originator of modifying a stock IAT to use it without any cutting or anything- just a plug and play sensor :).
Joe

·
Stock Sucks
939 Posts
kwiktsi - what do you mean by extend the IAT without any cutting? Can this be done on an 05 with the MAF/IAT combination. This deffinetly peaked my interest...

·
Premium Member
82,628 Posts
With an 05 You'll have to cut some to relocate because teh IAT is in the MAF, I spliced in a connector. 04 completely plug and play, 05/06, you have to add a connector

·
Stock Sucks
939 Posts
Figures... GM doesn't seem to understand the concept, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

·
Old Goat
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
svede1212 said:
didn't say i disliked it at all. i like the innovation. what you did is what i think the k&n/LPE crowd should be doing to get a real CAI. a scoop would help quite a bit tho. i say call it a Goat-ee because it isn't a hardcore nor like anybody elses. somehow hardcore co-opted (to adopt or appropriate something such as an idea as your own) the under the fender intake. there is only one hardcore and that uses hardcore's parts. the style hardcore used was copied from others ideas (BTW, the thermistor find was mine). give others some credit and you can take yours too.
Hey thanks Svede I appreciate it. I want to thank all of those that have come before me as I wouldn't have come up with the idea if it weren't for everyone elses ideas to give me the idea. For the next part I am stealing part of your idea by the way, Svede!

And for a name I have come up with the oh so clever...THE SUPER "STOCK" INTAKE. LOL

I am going to take the same 4" PVC fitting you used, (actually a slightly different style but same concept) but I am going to bolt in in from the bottom instead of the top. Then i am going to sand a little off the o.d. of piping going to it for a slightly "sloppy" fit. Then drill 3 or 4 holes through the pvc pipe and pvc fitting for 5/16" spring loaded pins so no tools will be required for removal later and that piece of pipe about 12" +/- will be my everyday setup (as to avoid water, curbs and such). Then for nice days, the kid down the street with the Camaro, or a night at the drag strip I will have another set of piping with the same quick release setup as the upper pipe that goes below the front bumper with a t-fitting and a couple of elbows for inlets at the bottom for a small ram air effect. I haven't looked if I can get the black pvc instead of the white? If not I wondered if something like spray paint or shoe polish might stick well enough to last awhile if I scuff it up first? As I don't really want that damn bright white pvc sticking out like a sore thumb!!

I think the neat part is if I don't like the length or an anything else about the setup, the quick release allows for an instant change via the old hacksaw and of course the total money investment is practically nothing!!

Picture it bolted on the underside...

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
great name :D

·
Old Goat
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Blue, I was hoping I could get the black!! For the stealth look!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I cant believe this i actually have been working on doing this same setup myself for the past 2 months. Now you look a little further than me because i seem to never beable to find time to work on this. I too have been planing on trying to get a ram air effect into this stock box with drop in kn i actually still purchased some different couplers and pipes from intakehoses online. The hole saw for the 4.5 inch hole was surprisingly expensive at ~50 dollars. my goal was to keep everything 4 inch as the 05 and 06 have the larger 90mm TB so might as well keep the tubing big. maybe when i get closer to being done i will post my picture too. i think setups like these will be the best alternative to Ram air Cold Air intakes and prove to be best for performance. But hey we will find out right!?

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
HWFSTRU said:
kwiktsi - what do you mean by extend the IAT without any cutting? Can this be done on an 05 with the MAF/IAT combination. This deffinetly peaked my interest...
Sorry for the confusion- I was talking about modifying an actual 04 IAT sensor with he new thermistor and re-assembling it like it came that way- no cutting the sensor up, hanging the thermistor between couplers, etc. I modify the sensors so they will just drop in like a stock 04 sensor would.

You still need to cut the two wires from the MAF and add a pigtail to plug into the sensor.
Joe

1 - 20 of 40 Posts