LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a new cam recently for an engine my son & I are rebuilding for the 67 GTO 400 4 spd with a mild extreme energy Comp Cam. In reading the instruction/install tip sheet I noticed a comment about break in... Comp does not recommend using synthetic oil on break in. I went by a performance engine machine shop which has a very good reputation and the machinist expressed that he agreed and uses regular oil on break in because the machined metal surfaces have to mate/burnish together and that syn oils are too slippery and interfere with that process. That is the same thing a Chevy dealer mech told me and our 04 GTO'S came with regular oil from GM because the LS1 is a fast rev engine and needs to have enough friction between new moving metal surfaces for proper surface mate qualities. The same mech stated that he recommends waiting 5000-6000 miles before switching to any syn type oil. I have not called Comp Cams but it sounds like they would sort of say the same thing. I've got 4200 miles on the 04 have had 3 oil & filter changes. At 100 miles changed oil and filter and switched to mag drain plug. Changed again at 1500 miles and the mag drain plug was loaded with metal stuff, changed again at 3200 mag drain plug was mostly clean. I will change again at 6000 miles, have not decided if I will stick with reg Valvoline or go syn. Safe driving to all !!!

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Good info. I have no plans in going syn but it seems like alot of people do.

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
I assume your 67 has a flat tappet cam and not a roller cam?A roller cam requires no break in because it is a billet cam and roller lifters,a flat tappet cam mates to the lifters and have a specific break in procedure.If I remember correctly,you are not supposed to let the engine fall below 2000 rpm or so after initial start up for app.15 min.to 20 min.. It's an oiling issue I think . Just my 2 pennys

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
i thought the Corvette LS1's came with Mobil 1 from the factory? dont they?

if so, then why shouldn't our Goats get the same treatment as the Vettes.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Vette LS1's are pre-run before installation.

There is nothing new about this. Always break a motor in on "dino" oil. How many times have I posted that our LS1's don't fully "loosen up" until about 5 - 6k and in that time frame it's best to use dino oil?

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:

There is nothing new about this. Always break a motor in on "dino" oil. How many times have I posted that our LS1's don't fully "loosen up" until about 5 - 6k and in that time frame it's best to use dino oil?
oooppps. oh well, atleast im not the only one

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Not the only one what?

To wonder why the Vette motors come with Mobil1 from the get go?

Vette owners are special, they can even elect an RPO for Musuem delivery.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:

146 times.....It tool me only 114 times to understand.
:drink::drink:

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:
Not the only one what?

To wonder why the Vette motors come with Mobil1 from the get go?

Vette owners are special, they can even elect an RPO for Musuem delivery.
no, to change to Mobil 1 after 1k miles.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
After 5-6k. Not 1k.

You do an oil change at 500 and 1,000 using "Dino" oil, then continue oil changes at normal 2-3k intervals using "dino" oil until you get to 5-6k. From there you can go with Mobil1, Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple, etc.

·
Registered
60 Posts
CMNTMXR57 said:

Whereas vette's may come pre-run it is not for 5 - 6K miles. They come from the factory with Mobile 1. There is no damage to the LS1 by changing out the oil to synthetic.

·
Been here for a long time...
4,663 Posts
And if you have ever seen 'Vettes come off the assembly line into the simulated driving room...you'd know those are broken in right from the get go. Fire it up off the line, drive in and check the lights, and then go for a drive on the rollers. Many full throttle runs on a nice newly started up engine. Same with the brakes, slam on them many times and hear the anti-lock working.

FWIW, I think all engines are run in. Don't know to what degree though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Some of the confusion stems from older machining practices. Engines would use oil until the rings could seat. When synthetic oils first came out they were too slippery to allow the rings to seat. With modern finish techniques a car shouldn't use oil from the get go. Changing to synthetics after a few hundred miles break-in should be fine. We always used assembly lube on cams during installation, always varied the rpm and load (never a steady speed), and changed the oil after a few hundred break-in miles.
We all had our secret method of break-in that would add a few horse power and we would never divulge it to anyone. :)

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Rob said:
And if you have ever seen 'Vettes come off the assembly line into the simulated driving room...you'd know those are broken in right from the get go. Fire it up off the line, drive in and check the lights, and then go for a drive on the rollers. Many full throttle runs on a nice newly started up engine. Same with the brakes, slam on them many times and hear the anti-lock working.

FWIW, I think all engines are run in. Don't know to what degree though.

haha, yes i know exactly what you mean. i went to corvette factory last fall. i couldn't believe how drive those things INSIDE. hard acceleration, whip around corners. must be a nice job, play with other peoples cars.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
rgrizzardfl said:
Whereas vette's may come pre-run it is not for 5 - 6K miles. They come from the factory with Mobile 1. There is no damage to the LS1 by changing out the oil to synthetic.
I don't recall saying anywhere that damage would occur as a result of going to a synthetic sooner. I simply stated it's "optimum" to stick with a conventional "dino" oil until these motors fully loosen up. In the case of the LS1, it's the 5,000 - 6,000 mile mark. It's a well documented mileage point and many have seen dyno numbers and mph at the strip increase just reaching this point.

If you want to drain it the minute you get home and put a synthetic in, go right ahead, I'll do what I do and many others with LS1's have done.

FWIW, mine is now approaching 3,000 miles and it'll recieve another fresh batch of conventional Valvoline.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts