LS1GTO Forums banner

Complete Stereo Upgrade Coming...

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  y2jdmbfan 
#1 ·
Well guys, seeing as though the GOAT's ready for it's second oil change, approximately 3,555 miles on it, I decided it's time to upgrade the stereo as well. I'm replacing all 8 of the stock speakers with new JL Audio equipment and 2 amps, 1 300/4 for the Front Component and rear sidewalls and then a JL Audio Sub Amp for the 2 subs in the rear deck. Along with all this, I am having my Kenwood KVT-911DVD w/ Sirius and Kenwood Navigation installed as well. I had the 911, sirius and NAV from my old GTP...I'll post some pics and let everyone know how it goes when I get it back Thursday, it's going under the knife Tuesday morning. It's gonna run me a couple grand to get it all installed, but seeing as though I plan on keeping the ride for about 5 years I figure it's worth it.

Y2J

#2 ·
sounds good, post pics when you can.

#4 ·
If you could take detailed measurements of the speakers, bolt patterns, and mounting clearances (behind and topside) it would be really helpful to folks considering aftermarket replacements. I'm thinking of doing Boston Pros in the front and back seats and have no idea if they'll fit. There doesn't look like too much will fit the SW holes due to the odd size and topside loading.

#7 ·
edge929 said:
Does the Blauplunkt suck that bad or what? Why spend a couple grand more to install a slightly better audio system? And 5 years? I don't plan on selling mine, god willing of course.
Its not that it totally sucks, its actually one of the better factory systems I've heard. Its just that the aftermarket stuff is so much better.

In my Silverado Ext. cab, I spent $1500 including installation and here's what you get:
Sony in dash AM/FM/CD with aux input, line level out and sub out.
Alpine 6 channel amp, 100 watts per channel
Infinity seperate components for the front door
Infinity speakers in rear door
One 10" sub in an enclosure on the floor in back

This system is not expensive (by car stereo standards) and sounds way better than any factory system except for maybe the Mark Levinson system in the Lexus. What the manufacturers need to do instead of doing this "partnering" (which isn't all that much) is to actually let the aftermarket design the system from scratch, and then make a nice mount for it in the dash that makes it look like the factory. I wouldn't have any problem buying a car and paying $2000 for a stereo upgrade that actually sounded like a $2000 aftermarket system.

#8 ·
Hmmm, I'll do what I can as far as measurements, I can measure the factory stuff when I get them back...When you guys say odd size for the subs in the rear deck, does this mean they aren't a standard round 6" size? This could get interesting, as I really didn't want them to mess with cutting and drilling much....I'll have to go consult my service manuals...

#10 ·
04bluegto said:
my system in the truck was about 2 grand but i install everything myself! then it got jacked :( Y2J where are you going to get your system put in im in Westchester and work in countryside about 20mins from orland.
Music In Motion in Crestwood, IL. They're very professional and have even done work for Kendall Gill of the Bulls...
Where'd your system get jacked at? Any alarm on the vehicle that got jacked? I think the GOAT has a pretty decent stock factory alarm...

Y2J

#13 · (Edited)
edge929 said:
Does the Blauplunkt suck that bad or what? Why spend a couple grand more to install a slightly better audio system? And 5 years? I don't plan on selling mine, god willing of course.

yeah i thought the Blaupunkt was supposed to be good stuff too. im sure that i will be impressed enough with it. i still get compliments on the factor stereo in the my GTP. people always ask if its aftermarket. and its not even the upgraded Bose option.

plus i dont think i would ever put a system in the GTO for a couple reasons.
1. limited trunk space
2. extra weight slows you down. you know the addage "100lbs is a 1/10 in the 1/4mile.
3. id rather spend 2000 dollars makin my car go faster, not slower.
4. i would get laughed at if i said "hey man, my car thumps harder than yours does"

ive herd blaupunkt is good. so im sure it will be enough for me

#15 ·
y2jdmbfan said:
Hmmm, I'll do what I can as far as measurements, I can measure the factory stuff when I get them back...When you guys say odd size for the subs in the rear deck, does this mean they aren't a standard round 6" size? This could get interesting, as I really didn't want them to mess with cutting and drilling much....I'll have to go consult my service manuals...
I believe they are 7" subs. Putting anything bigger into the deck is going to require surgery.

#16 ·
mistermike said:
I believe they are 7" subs. Putting anything bigger into the deck is going to require surgery.

Cool....I was planning on some JL Audio 6W0 sub's in the rear-deck to replace the stock subs. I believe the 6W0's are 6.5", so They should drop in with a simple adaptor plate and dynamat...

Now you guys have me thinking about getting an aftermarket alarm for this rig....LOL...Maybe after I get it installed...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.