LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who have built an engine using ARP's for heads and rods- what did you torque to? The factory specs look to be a TTY spec, so I don't feel comfortable using that on a non TTY bolt. Any info here?
Joe

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
kwiktsi said:
Those of you who have built an engine using ARP's for heads and rods- what did you torque to? The factory specs look to be a TTY spec, so I don't feel comfortable using that on a non TTY bolt. Any info here?
Joe
ARP stuff should come with a paper that has specs. \

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am familiar with that, but the last time I torqued a head to their specs, it crushed it and screwed up the valve heights and such! I have since used factory specs + 5-10 ft-lbs or so. Unless they changed things and have an actual torque spec for the particular application now? The chart I am referring to was torque by bolt size. Thanks.
Joe

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
kwiktsi said:
I am familiar with that, but the last time I torqued a head to their specs, it crushed it and screwed up the valve heights and such! I have since used factory specs + 5-10 ft-lbs or so. Unless they changed things and have an actual torque spec for the particular application now? The chart I am referring to was torque by bolt size. Thanks.
Joe
call them, or have the shop that dose your work find out

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shop? Nobody touches my cars :). I'll see what comes with the fasteners and take it from there I guess. I was hoping somebody here has installed them and had the specs they used.
Joe

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
kwiktsi said:
Shop? Nobody touches my cars :). I'll see what comes with the fasteners and take it from there I guess. I was hoping somebody here has installed them and had the specs they used.
Joe
lol the only think i dont do anymore is tune, i'll tune other peoples cars but i dont have the time to make my tune perfect.. which i kinda find funny because a tune error popped your engine

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think it was so much a "tune error"- I do agree, I got greedy with timing since it wasn't knocking, but I think it was my holding it off the limiter burnouts coupled with not a strong enough meth mixture that broke it. We made several passes with it when we tuned it and it was fine. I'm going to add a second nozzle to the alky kit and be sure not to run a weak mixture again! We might pull a touch of timing to be safe, but I don't think it was the tune at all that did it- he did exactly what I asked him to do. It was my abusing it like a crack whore that broke it :).
Joe

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just in case any one else was curious- the ARP rod bolts came with torque and stretch specs. I cancelled the head bolts, I don't think I need them right now. This is the first time I got anything from ARP with vehicle-specefic instructions. Every other time, it was just a chart saying what to torque bolts to by their diameter and length- that didn't work too well for me in the past..
Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts