LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 spends a decent amount of time in the garage, so I only have a light haze/cloudiness to the factory lenses. However, it bothers me. I would like to replace them with something decent, particularly if I'm going to have to pull the bumper.

There are endless pages of GTO headlight assemblies on Ebay, but most that I click on look like the require wiring changes.

So with that said, are there any aftermarket ones that:

1) Use factory bulbs
2) Dont look like ass (not 100% a fan of the chrome or smoke, but I could live with either if they didnt have extra LED strips and such added)
3) Are recommended (I know KFX has some, but can't recall if he hacked his harness or what)

Sure, I'd like to entertain buying OEM assemblies, but between dental work and a truck in the shop getting a new transmission, that option isn't in my immediate future.

Putting something in there that looks better, and giving me time to polish/sand/coat my factory ones is what I'm shooting for.

·
Living the dream!
4,813 Posts
Other than the Cheap-Chinese Halo junk, I personally do not know of any other aftermarket brands out there. That being said, I'd still buy and install them if price were a factor.

If you're going to refinish the OEM headlights, I'd like to suggest a good, quality, clearcoat for them. Amazon and Eastwood both have similar versions of 2K Clear, which has to be activated prior to using and should look very good once dry.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Hey guy.....I dont know of any other lights other than the factory and the ones like i have....which some may consider "cheap chinese junk", But I can assure you...I'm quite the picky one and they arent bad. I'd buy them again vs a set of $1000 factory ones.
1) the "spyder type" headlights I have do not require you to cut the harness. However, if you want the halos to work, you'll have to strip a little insulation back on the wire and wrap it around the conductor part and 3m electrical tape it.
2) They arent quite factory quality, but I've seen much worse aftermarket.
3) i had to "shim" the inner bracket wigh a couple washers to eliminate the fender gap
4) I run 55w HIDS in the low, LED in the high. You can buy the light with led bulbs already installed...which I recommend because I had to modify mine for leds to work. I'd ditch the led low beams and put 55w HIDS in and youll have some serious light.
5) Do not use Upol clear on the lights. I never could get that clear to work correctly with running. Its way too thin. I dont know what else good is offered because I just use true automotive clear coat you spray out of a gun.
6) If its faded on the inside too (mine were) your lights wont look 100% new but they will still look really good. You will lose a little light output, I once again recommend 55w hids for max output. I havent found an led that will match the hid in distance yet. Ive tested several and still do from time to time. Leds in the high....always led in the high beams because they are instant on.

and yes I can clear them for you if you can be without your lights for a week or so. I can also repair the holes if you have any. They deteriorate on top usually.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My 06 spends a decent amount of time in the garage, so I only have a light haze/cloudiness to the factory lenses. However, it bothers me. I would like to replace them with something decent, particularly if I'm going to have to pull the bumper.

There are endless pages of GTO headlight assemblies on Ebay, but most that I click on look like the require wiring changes.

So with that said, are there any aftermarket ones that:

1) Use factory bulbs
2) Dont look like ass (not 100% a fan of the chrome or smoke, but I could live with either if they didnt have extra LED strips and such added)
3) Are recommended (I know KFX has some, but can't recall if he hacked his harness or what)

Sure, I'd like to entertain buying OEM assemblies, but between dental work and a truck in the shop getting a new transmission, that option isn't in my immediate future.

Putting something in there that looks better, and giving me time to polish/sand/coat my factory ones is what I'm shooting for.
Just clean up the factory jobs and call it a day. Save yourself the grief; When you get them cleaned to your satisfaction take them to a body shop to get cleared, I'd be surprised if it was more than 50 bucks. They are pros, use pro material and equipment and will unscrew it if they screw it up.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Just clean up the factory jobs and call it a day. Save yourself the grief; When you get them cleaned to your satisfaction take them to a body shop to get cleared, I'd be surprised if it was more than 50 bucks. They are pros, use pro material and equipment and will unscrew it if they screw it up.

Thats not a bad idea either if he can polish them out himself. He could get a body shop to throw some clear on them while they are clearing something else.

·
Administrator
8,099 Posts
Refinish them as long as they can be saved. Nothing in the aftermarket looks good.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for all the input. Part of what drives the desire to replace them is that I just bought new lenses for my wife's Jeep Cherokee and it made the vehicle look practically new - all for less than $70/pr. So sad that GTO lenses are so much more, but I guess rare doesn't equal inexpensive.

KFX - Thanks for your take on things - I can see that some of these are indeed plug-and-play and no harness cutting is required. Your car looks good, but I still have to weigh it in the mindset of spending $225 for a maybe-temporary replacement, which is still a decent pile of lunch money just to be able to take a few weeks to do my GTO headlight lenses and not rush through it, nor have my backup car 'down' completely.

Hockeyman - Point well taken. I'm familiar with the 2K clear and almost bought it to do an ATV gas tank I was refinishing, but I would end up paying more for the hazmat bunny suit and respirator than the price of the tank, so I tabled the idea. If I do the headlights, it will be cost effective and worth the investment.

Hubert - you truly need to upgrade from the box wine :)

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Thank you for all the input. Part of what drives the desire to replace them is that I just bought new lenses for my wife's Jeep Cherokee and it made the vehicle look practically new - all for less than $70/pr. So sad that GTO lenses are so much more, but I guess rare doesn't equal inexpensive.

KFX - Thanks for your take on things - I can see that some of these are indeed plug-and-play and no harness cutting is required. Your car looks good, but I still have to weigh it in the mindset of spending $225 for a maybe-temporary replacement, which is still a decent pile of lunch money just to be able to take a few weeks to do my GTO headlight lenses and not rush through it, nor have my backup car 'down' completely.

Hockeyman - Point well taken. I'm familiar with the 2K clear and almost bought it to do an ATV gas tank I was refinishing, but I would end up paying more for the hazmat bunny suit and respirator than the price of the tank, so I tabled the idea. If I do the headlights, it will be cost effective and worth the investment.

Hubert - you truly need to upgrade from the box wine :)

What is the temporary replacement you speak of?

refinishing the lights with automotive clear will last as long or longer than the headlights did originally. Wax them when you wax the car with UV blocking wax. That will extend their life by alot.

If you get the aftermarket units, still wax them with UV blocking wax.

I use Nu-finish on mine.they still look new. I think they are around two years old now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts