LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
The battle of wits has begun.
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ENOUGH DEBATING!

All tips / suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Spare no expense! ... HA, doing this for as cheap as possible.

This is what I had going on just before I lost 3rd and overdrive in the 4L65e. Summing up its a heads / cam LS1.

So I bought a t56 w/65k miles + pedals + master cylinder + crappy clutch / used flywheel, transmission mount, GTO bell housing, GTO tailshaft, aftermarket shift knob, stock shifter, + bolts, + sensors / wiring for $3200.00 from Hawks Motorsports. (Easy people to talk to, super helpful, have no issues buying from again.)

I need a wiring harness and luckily there is a forum member converting his manual into an automatic drag car that needs my wiring harness, so hopefully we'll both be receiving them by this weekend / Monday. Again thank you HydroSteam6!!

I decided to remove the seat to make life easier for when I tackle the pedal assembly... yeah I snapped a bolt, that'll be fun for later. This photo was before I vacuumed / removed the center console.

Fought the wiring harness for many hours.

Found out that there is a connection behind the starter that has to be disconnected and there are 3 connections on the back of the 4l65e around the tailshaft. The only way (to easily) get to them is to remove the exhaust.

·
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

I should replace the 05 cat-back exhaust, I know I should... but haven't.

Next step is going to be draining the 4l65e, removing the driveshaft, remove the B&M trans cooler. Then get the car high enough in the air with 4 jack stands for the transmission to be dropped & slid out.

I plan to order the LT1-S twin disk clutch from Monster +
remote bleeder.
heat wrapped stainless steel braided clutch line.
new slave cylinder.
pilot bearing? not sure I can get that from Monster.
new bolts.

I don't plan to have the t56 rebuilt because it only has 65k miles on it. Some people said to redo the seals, but if it isn't leaking, should I bother?

More pain and cries for help to come!

·
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Vacuumed, some what.

Trip to Harbor Freight + parts arrived! Thank you HydroSteam6!

Removing the driveshaft was super irritating. Its connected to a.. "puck" with 4 allen key bolts. Lucked out and had an allen key of the right size.

Safe...ish

Goofy thing I made a couple years ago, I don't think I'll be keeping it in.

Day ended with tools purchased, car in the air, drive shaft out, the rest of the exhaust *headers* removed / disconnected.

·
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sunday funday! Bell housing bolts are a pain in the dick! But I invented a tool which was a life saver. 1 of the ratchets I use, the handle is the exact width of one of the random box wrenches I discovered in my father's tools box. Its the weirdest box wrench I've ever seen but it worked amazing as an extra handle for my ratchet giving the leverage to use it as a breaker bar. I'll have to get a photo of it later, only way I can describe it, is picture a normal box wrench that has the box end bent on a 90º. Any who, yeah my bell housing only had 7 bolts, and 2 of which were finger tight... glad I'm doing this.

Sketchy situation.

Lesson learned, you cannot slide the transmission off the torque converter, the bell housing will hit the drivetrain tunnel. Need to remove the 3 bolts that connect to the torque converter then remove the transmission. Spent way too much time trying to remove the trans. without removing the torque converter. And on top of that, to spin the fly wheel I had to drain coolant and remove my radiator fan assembly so I could spin the crank using a 24mm socket... very annoying.

Wrapping a ratchet strap around the transmission to the blocks greatly increased stability of the transmission on the jack. I used another block and another jack + witchcraft to get the 2 taped together blocks out of the way so I could lower the transmission directly on the jack and slide it out from under the car.

Success!

Done for now. "Easy part" is completed. Even after attempting to drain the transmission fluid it spilled like crazy and I did what I could to clean it up. **Note, this photo was before I cleaned it up.**

·
Registered
106 Posts
Comming along nicely! Interesting to see this custom tool as well. Been wrenching professional for 15 years now and have a hand full of "custom tools" lol. Keep us updated!

·
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
U can touch it if you want to
534 Posts
I really enjoy seeing your car all used up. Hole in hood. Filthy interior. Worn steering wheel. On Jack stands in a suburban driveway.

No. Sincerely. You've had and continue to have fun with it. Now undertaking the tranny swap in your driveway?! Compelling really.

Often times I seem to limit myself based on what I have to work with and the space I have to do it in. Then I follow a real grassroots effort and it brings me back to earth. Time for me to get off my ass again.

I'll be following along!

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
^But can you play with your ass while you're sitting on it is the imperative question here hehe........

·
ಠ_ಠ
34,653 Posts
I really enjoy seeing your car all used up. Hole in hood. Filthy interior. Worn steering wheel. On Jack stands in a suburban driveway.

No. Sincerely. You've had and continue to have fun with it. Now undertaking the tranny swap in your driveway?! Compelling really.

Often times I seem to limit myself based on what I have to work with and the space I have to do it in. Then I follow a real grassroots effort and it brings me back to earth. Time for me to get off my ass again.

I'll be following along!
imagine if it was a miata.

·
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

I'll be following along!
:thumbs:

Bought my GTO in 2008 with 42k miles it; used, abused, and took on water when it rained.

I use to take my GTO to shops to get work done "professionally", because if you spent a lot of money, that meant it was done right...

If anyone is going to do half ass work on my GTO, might as well be me.

·
U can touch it if you want to
534 Posts
8 years I lived in a condo with a Miata. Always took it to work to wrench on it or pay someone else.

I traveled so much then I couldn't necessarily have a "project". Time smurfing wasted in a way, I could have "don't bs me" swapped it like Dan is doing the mustang.

Ever forward.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I haven't been on in a while. This topic peaked my interest. I would like to do this same project with help. Subscribed to see the finished product!

·
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update

Well just placed an order for the LT1-S twin clutch.

Need to get moving on getting the pedals swapped.

·
Original Owners Club
9,471 Posts
1 - 20 of 107 Posts
About this Discussion
106 Replies
26 Participants
DangerNoodle
LS1GTO.com Forums
LS1GTO.com is a forum community dedicated to the LS1 Pontiac GTO. Come discuss mods, horsepower, engine specs and more!
Full Forum Listing