LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Dad's Yellow Goat
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has put in a higher stall speed convertor in a daily driver. If so what model and would u buy same again or go wilder.

Lanse

·
Blue Thunder
821 Posts
A friend of mine has one in his T/A, I think a 3300 Yank. I've drivin it a few times and it is awsome. Drivability on his isnt bad at all and it feels awsome how well it responds. If I hd an A4 id definatley put one these in :)

-Brian

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
lanseman said:
I was wondering if anyone has put in a higher stall speed convertor in a daily driver. If so what model and would u buy same again or go wilder.

Lanse
PadreGto has done this :hail:

·
549 RWHP and 569 TQ
414 Posts
I put a Yank SS3600. I really like it. Driving around town is just fine but when you nail it, it feels like launching out of the tube in Battlestar Galactica (dated myself). I'll have the Magnacharger done tomorrow so we'll see how it is then.

Dave

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Wavydavy GTO said:
I put a Yank SS3600. I really like it. Driving around town is just fine but when you nail it, it feels like launching out of the tube in Battlestar Galactica (dated myself). I'll have the Magnacharger done tomorrow so we'll see how it is then.

Dave
What are the differences in normal driving that you notice? 3600 is about as high as I have heard. A lot of folks say anything above 31-3300 is too high for normal driving. I would love to go 3600 if it is okay.
:drink::drink:

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Wavydavy GTO said:

Dave
That only dates you to last year as SciFi is redoing the series. The pilot miniseries aired in like November I think of last year with the full series to start in January. I'm excited but I do miss the Egyptian motifs. I wonder if they'll remake Buck Rogers next..Hmm...Beady beady beady.

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Mine's a 2800 ProTorque. I went with a tighter converter because I wanted driveability - with my exhaust note, I would be roaring off a stoplight with a 3300+. IOW, the low range below the stall speed is real loose, and the car doesn't start moving till you get closer to the stall. But a higher stall converter will help your E/Ts at the track, but not your traps.

Also, a tighter converter is better for nitrous applications. :secret: :drink:

Padre

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
PadreGTO said:
:drink:

Padre
So those of you above 2800 how is this effect of not moving until you get closer to the higher stalls affecting you? Is it annoying? Gas Mileage? I do maybe 30 minutes of stop and go each day. What do you thinK? I want to be going to the drags fairly regularly starting next year but this beast is also my daily driver.

Padre,
I can only assume that you are drinking a soda or a beer and not the sacramental wine!!!

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
This question has been asked before, but does anyone know when the stock TC kicks in?

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Tails said:
Padre,
I can only assume that you are drinking a soda or a beer and not the sacramental wine!!!
Actually, I use that smiley to represent being "on the bottle", i.e. nitrous. :)

And Phobos, I believe the stock TC is 2100 or 2400 - I'll have to look it up.

Padre

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've been debating a converter swap too. The stock converter is very tight. If I power brake my car it will start to spin the tires at about 1400-1500 RPM's. This has got to be to help gas mileage. My wife's GTP will brake to 2500-2600 and not even move. The GTP turns the tires over much easier from a stop than the GTO does. I think that says something for the converter.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
PadreGTO said:
Actually, I use that smiley to represent being "on the bottle", i.e. nitrous. :)

Padre
Of course, what was I thinking??!!??

·
Registered
13 Posts
I dont know if the GTO comes with a tranny cooler besides the radiator.But,i figured i'd throw in if your going to get a TC,you diffently need a tranny cooler.The extra heat generated from the TC will kill your tranny in short time.Esp. in stop and go traffic.Even when i was running a stock TC in my TA i still was running a 28k lb tranny cooler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Tails said:
So those of you above 2800 how is this effect of not moving until you get closer to the higher stalls affecting you? Is it annoying? Gas Mileage? I do maybe 30 minutes of stop and go each day. What do you thinK? I want to be going to the drags fairly regularly starting next year but this beast is also my daily driver.

Tails,
I have sent a couple of PM's without a reply. I originally posted about dealership service.
Anyway, I also will be racing at Pacific Raceways next year. In fact I hope to make it out this year! Get in touch with me.

Vince.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
WhiteRhino said:
I dont know if the GTO comes with a tranny cooler besides the radiator.But,i figured i'd throw in if your going to get a TC,you diffently need a tranny cooler.The extra heat generated from the TC will kill your tranny in short time.Esp. in stop and go traffic.Even when i was running a stock TC in my TA i still was running a 28k lb tranny cooler.
I believe the GTO autos have a trans cooler in the radiator, but I don't know that for certain.

But, what is a 28k lb tranny cooler? I read that as 28000lb?

·
Registered
13 Posts
But, what is a 28k lb tranny cooler? I read that as 28000lb?
Yeh,thats what it is.Its just a heavy duty cooler.Most of them have a weight rating on them for a certain size vehichle.Also,if it just uses the radiator to cool the tranny,its not enough when running a higher stall.Heat kills tranny's quick.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
freqseeker said:
Tails said:
Tails,
I have sent a couple of PM's without a reply. I originally posted about dealership service.
Anyway, I also will be racing at Pacific Raceways next year. In fact I hope to make it out this year! Get in touch with me.

Vince.
Hmmmmm I have sent a couple also. That was me that day. I will email.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts