LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question? On the bottom of the throttle body there is are coolant line fittings going in and out. For summer time use can you bypass the coolant lines? Just get a hose coupler and connect the two hoses that are attached to the body?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Coolant Lines

speed_demon_fre said:
Question? On the bottom of the throttle body there is are coolant line fittings going in and out. For summer time use can you bypass the coolant lines? Just get a hose coupler and connect the two hoses that are attached to the body?

I recently sold a 96 Impala SS; highly modified; so I could order an 04 GTO. Many of us bypassed the coolant lines in the LT1. Also several aftermarket TBs, come with no coolant line connections at all. If you do the bypass, make sure the before and after flow of coolant is maintained.

slick50
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
bypassed mine the other day.

just got two rubber caps to cover the tb lines (mainly to keep dirt and stuff out) took the long hose that comes from the radiator and hooked it directly to the engine fitting without running it through the tb.

I didn't notice any improvement but at least now its not stock any more!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jfend said:
bypassed mine the other day.

just got two rubber caps to cover the tb lines (mainly to keep dirt and stuff out) took the long hose that comes from the radiator and hooked it directly to the engine fitting without running it through the tb.

I didn't notice any improvement but at least now its not stock any more!

What size caps and coupler?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,691 Posts
Do I understand correctly. Your removing the coolant lines? Does this mean your trying to warm the gas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
on the lower left you can see where the line originally connected from the radiator. I just removed the line from this fitting and moved it to the fitting on the engine. I dont intend to put mine back so i just cut the line to fit. then i zip-tied it to the p/s resevoir to keep it tight.
the factory line connecting the t/b to the engine i removed completely.
the two remaining fittings(on either side of the t/b) i capped off with vacuum
line caps (1/4 inch)

mlc, keep in mind that the coolant is cooler than the cylinder heads. compared to ambient air, its pretty hot. by eliminating this added head you should lower the inlet air temp, and yield slightly more hp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,691 Posts
mlc, keep in mind that the coolant is cooler than the cylinder heads. compared to ambient air, its pretty hot. by eliminating this added head you should lower the inlet air temp, and yield slightly more hp.
I understand the concept of cooler air makes for more power but is seems that the cooliant would be cooler than the engine block and help lower the temperature.
I'm wrong?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From my understanding the coolant passes through the throttle body to warm it when its cold to help with the emissions.

I might be wrong but thats what I hear. I dont know. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jfend said:
mlc, keep in mind that the coolant is cooler than the cylinder heads. compared to ambient air, its pretty hot. by eliminating this added heat you should lower the inlet air temp, and yield slightly more hp.



In theory it should work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
IN the case on the ls1 the t/b never touches the engine block. the intake manifold connects the two, and being made of composite instead of metal, it conducts little heat at all. with the t/b coolant bypassed the t/b stays very cool(to the touch even).

I suspect the only reason coolant flows through it at all is to keep it from freezing up in cold climates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,691 Posts
jfend said:
IN the case on the ls1 the t/b never touches the engine block. the intake manifold connects the two, and being made of composite instead of metal, it conducts little heat at all. with the t/b coolant bypassed the t/b stays very cool(to the touch even).

I suspect the only reason coolant flows through it at all is to keep it from freezing up in cold climates.
This make sense then. I can understand why bypassing it might help increase power but I was thinking the same about when the engine is cold. I would be afraid that in the winter here the car might run worse with it bypassed, at least until the car got very warm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mlc said:
This make sense then. I can understand why bypassing it might help increase power but I was thinking the same about when the engine is cold. I would be afraid that in the winter here the car might run worse with it bypassed, at least until the car got very warm.

Summer time mod.
 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,379 Posts
I've got it removed from mine on all my vehicles! Summer or winter!
 

·
13 year owner
Joined
·
16,379 Posts
I haven't had any problems and they've been like that for years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,214 Posts
That is what is called a free mod. I did it on my TA because dyno LT1 show like a 6-7rwhp gain.

I drive it in the winter. It is not a summer time mod, it's a any time mod.
 

·
Registered Cruiser
Joined
·
77 Posts
Here is an after shot of the TB Bypass on my Commodore. As you can sort of see, the coolant pipe now goes straight under the MAF, follows the loom back toward the TB, under the P/S resovoir and on to the coolant line. After reading some of the temps you guys experience over there, depending on where you are, I probably wouldn't be cutting the pipe any shorter than it already is. Nobody wants a frozen throttle butterfly.



Mick
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top