LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has a rebuilt title from a previous front end wreck and ever since I've had it has had green coolant in it. From my reading on here, the impression I get is that it's inadvisable to switch to green coolant because it doesn't mix well with Dexcool and you never get all the old coolant out, so inevitably some mixes with the new coolant and bad things happen.

Well that ship has sailed for this car as someone has already done it. I had planned on getting the forum's opinion on what I should do here at the outset of this summer season- should I just continue to use green coolant? Or should I have a shop flush it out really well and go back with Dexcool?

I never had any problems with temps last year but I started driving it again about a week ago. Yesterday I hooked up torque pro just to monitor oil pressure and noticed that the coolant was up to 217*F. It's not warm here yet at all, and I wasn't sitting in traffic or anything. So being a little freaked out by it I started monitoring it a lot more closely and it seems that was just a fluke of sorts, maybe the thermostat hadn't opened yet and I just happened to catch it at its peak. Whatever the case may be it seems to cycle between 201* and 208*ish. I could have sworn that it never got above 200* last year, let alone stayed there but I could be mis-remembering.

Anyway I'm thinking about installing a new thermostat just as regular maintenance but I don't know if I should just stick with green since it's already there or flush the crap out of it and go back with Dexcool. What would you do?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I ran into the same thing with my car. I bought a flush tool (hose nozzle) and flushed the heater core and engine with DI water. Currently the system is empty but I'll be running distilled water through it today and letting it come up to temp so it flows everywhere. For coolant I was going to run green, then wanted to put Dexcool back in but decided on Zerex G05. Same or better aluminum protection benefits as Dexcool but it doesn't turn to powder if you get air in the system. A friend turned me on it and I did some research to make sure it would be fine.

·
Worthless reject member
39,382 Posts
It depends on what type of green coolant.

If it's the old kind that's not compatible with organic acid coolant then it's possible. Also depends on how much was mixed. A slight amount of dexcool left in the system probably wouldn't have made a ton of difference. Had it been a significant portion, you definitely would have reduced corossion protection.

I would flush it and replace with prestone all makes all models. It's still an organic acid long life coolant but it is still compatible with the older coolant types.

Also, depending on airflow across the radiator, and ambient temperature/humidity, as well as fan settings, it is possible for the car to run hotter some days than others. It doesn't necessarily mean you have a stuck thermostat or other coolant issue.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, depending on airflow across the radiator, and ambient temperature/humidity, as well as fan settings, it is possible for the car to run hotter some days than others. It doesn't necessarily mean you have a stuck thermostat or other coolant issue.
Well I do have an Xair OTR intake but I installed that last June and don't remember these increased temps after the install. It was in the 30s ambient today here and it got up to 213* at first then started to cycle between 201 and 208 or so again. The fans do run but Idk if they're at full steam. I was just thinking about doing the thermostat not only as being a potential cause of these temps but also a "while you're in there" kinda thing if I'm going to have the coolant flushed/changed anyway.

I'll just monitor the situation closely for a few weeks and see if there's any change. I guess I'm just worried what these temps will be in sitting in traffic in the middle of summer if they're like this when it's still kinda cold.

·
Worthless reject member
39,382 Posts
Engines can still run hot when it's cold out, though. It makes a difference while the car is moving and ambient air is blowing over the radiator, but with the car just sitting you can still have issues.

I would look at how much airflow your getting across the radiator. These fans can also take a dump. It can be an intermiddant problem. ACDelco fan motors are available new.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My car has a rebuilt title from a previous front end wreck and ever since I've had it has had green coolant in it. From my reading on here, the impression I get is that it's inadvisable to switch to green coolant because it doesn't mix well with Dexcool and you never get all the old coolant out, so inevitably some mixes with the new coolant and bad things happen.

Well that ship has sailed for this car as someone has already done it. I had planned on getting the forum's opinion on what I should do here at the outset of this summer season- should I just continue to use green coolant? Or should I have a shop flush it out really well and go back with Dexcool?

I never had any problems with temps last year but I started driving it again about a week ago. Yesterday I hooked up torque pro just to monitor oil pressure and noticed that the coolant was up to 217*F. It's not warm here yet at all, and I wasn't sitting in traffic or anything. So being a little freaked out by it I started monitoring it a lot more closely and it seems that was just a fluke of sorts, maybe the thermostat hadn't opened yet and I just happened to catch it at its peak. Whatever the case may be it seems to cycle between 201* and 208*ish. I could have sworn that it never got above 200* last year, let alone stayed there but I could be mis-remembering.

Anyway I'm thinking about installing a new thermostat just as regular maintenance but I don't know if I should just stick with green since it's already there or flush the crap out of it and go back with Dexcool. What would you do?

Being that the car had front end damage my guess would be the system came apart in one manner or another and the shop did the sane thing and said screw the DexIII scam. Since there is no telling what was used I'd drain what's in it and replace it with any high quality product you wish. There was a class action suit about the dexcool hook, didn't get much traction in court but considering GM has hundreds of lawyers in their employ and the way the justice system works.... Anyway GM retracted all that the earth will open up and swallow your car if you don't buy our ridiculous priced shit that ain't any better or worse than any quality fluid it just costs twice as much. Ask yourself this: how many motors has GM built since they started this dog and pony show, how many are there that ditched that stuff in favor of another that doesn't require a personal loan to buy and how many are now in the junk yard because of it? Rumors are like theory; they can not be proven nor dis-proven. If it hit 217 at stop check if the fans are working, wouldn't be the first time something went unpluged.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Engines can still run hot when it's cold out, though. It makes a difference while the car is moving and ambient air is blowing over the radiator, but with the car just sitting you can still have issues.

I would look at how much airflow your getting across the radiator. These fans can also take a dump. It can be an intermiddant problem. ACDelco fan motors are available new.
Well this is going 70mph on the highway in the cold so unless the radiator has an obstruction that I just didn't notice (besides the Xair) then it should run cooler in that environment than any other. That's what really alarmed me at first, I had just gotten gas and noticed it and thought I'll jump on the highway and it will cool right down, but it only went to 201 at the lowest and well, here I am.

Oh, and every time I've checked under the hood the fans have been running, and when I (carefully) put my hand behind them they seemed to be moving a lot of air. Since it snowed today I went and got the calais one last time so next time I go out to get it I'll investigate further

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Being that the car had front end damage my guess would be the system came apart in one manner or another and the shop did the sane thing and said screw the DexIII scam. Since there is no telling what was used I'd drain what's in it and replace it with any high quality product you wish. There was a class action suit about the dexcool hook, didn't get much traction in court but considering GM has hundreds of lawyers in their employ and the way the justice system works.... Anyway GM retracted all that the earth will open up and swallow your car if you don't buy our ridiculous priced shit that ain't any better or worse than any quality fluid it just costs twice as much. Ask yourself this: how many motors has GM built since they started this dog and pony show, how many are there that ditched that stuff in favor of another that doesn't require a personal loan to buy and how many are now in the junk yard because of it? Rumors are like theory; they can not be proven nor dis-proven. If it hit 217 at stop check if the fans are working, wouldn't be the first time something went unpluged.
That's what I thought happened in regards to the wreck too. I think I've pretty much ruled out going back to dexcool but I had always planned on getting the system flushed some time this year, so I'll likely look into the above mentioned products and take it somewhere soon.

·
Worthless reject member
39,382 Posts
I've usee the prestone long life any car any color in every vehicle as a dexcool replacement. No issues. Good stuff.

If you're going to do a flush, it's worth taking stuff apart anyway after a certian amount of miles and checking for corrosion or any other issues. Gaskets and clamps are pretty cheap if everything just ends up checking out.

I replace water pumps even though they are still seemingly functioning fine just because it's easy, relatively inexpensive, and it's such an essential part for the motor. Go with original equipment with a pump and you should be good.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Where I used to work we would change everything to green antifreeze if we did any cooling system work, never had any problems from it. It was a fleet and a lot of the rigs went well over 200k before we got rid of them.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That's what I thought happened in regards to the wreck too. I think I've pretty much ruled out going back to dexcool but I had always planned on getting the system flushed some time this year, so I'll likely look into the above mentioned products and take it somewhere soon.
Save yourself the headache, don't let air in the system, there are devices that go on the end of a garden hose that make it easy. Air pockets seem to be luck of the draw; mine cleared fairly well, it looked for a while like a friend's would never clear out. In talking with other's (real people, not keyboard buddies) it's a 50/50 shot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts