LS1GTO.com Forums banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
12,093 Posts
What about cylinder heads. All the bull stories you’d hear about needing small ports for tq and o don’t go to big on the heads because you’ll lose power. Then the LS1 came out and trounced those stupid ideas. I could on and on.
The LS1 came out with a completely different port design altogether, though. The engineers didn't simply take a SBC port, enlargen it by 25%, and call it a day.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a 4l60. Your trans stays below ambient temp? Does that even sound possible in your mind? Of course the sensor Is not right. Maybe it’s in Celsius? I mean it’s connected to a hot engine, so there’s no way the trans is that cool.

That guy is not sponsored for sure. Watch some more of his videos and you’ll understand.

My fluid doesn’t need flushing, it’s new.
I might have exaggerated a bit cause I just checked my trans. temp and it is the same as ambient, 93F. I paid close attention to it the last few days of driving and the highest I ever saw it reach was 101F. What temps. do most m6 owners see typically?

I've seen quite a few of his videos before and enjoy watching a lot of his stuff. This test just didn't seem to prove anything In terms of using this stuff in our engines. He didn't do a test with engine oil in the first test do see if the motorkote provided better protection for the engine. He also never did a test with water in the engine before adding motorkote for a control test or any comparisons test with engine oil and motorkote vs engine oil. He is usually very in depth with his videos but the only thing he proved with this experiment is that motorkote is resistant to water and that it provides better protection than wd-40.

I would really check out that aftermarket radiator though if your still interested in upgrading. Based on the reviews it sounds like a quality part for cheap. Plus it seems like a lot of people have issues with the plastic cracking on the stock radiators, they don't seem to last long.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I might have exaggerated a bit cause I just checked my trans. temp and it is the same as ambient, 93F. I paid close attention to it the last few days of driving and the highest I ever saw it reach was 101F. What temps. do most m6 owners see typically?

I've seen quite a few of his videos before and enjoy watching a lot of his stuff. This test just didn't seem to prove anything In terms of using this stuff in our engines. He didn't do a test with engine oil in the first test do see if the motorkote provided better protection than the engine. If it didn't then I doubt the motorkote would provide better protection than engine oil. He also never did a test with water in the engine before adding motorkote for a control test or any comparisons test with engine oil and motorkote vs engine oil. He is usually very in depth with his videos but the only thing he proved with this experiment is that motorkote is resistant to water and that it provides better protection than wd-40.

I would really check out that aftermarket radiator though if your still interested in upgrading. Based on the reviews it sounds like a quality part for cheap. Plus it seems like a lot of people have issues with the plastic cracking on the stock radiators, they don't seem to last long.
In one of his tests he used two engines, one a control and the other one with product and water. wasnt motorkote tho. Engine with only water lasted about 30 minutes, half as long as the engine with motorkote and water. you'd have to have watched all his videos to catch that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
In one of his tests he used two engines, one a control and the other one with product and water. wasnt motorkote tho. Engine with only water lasted about 30 minutes, half as long as the engine with motorkote and water. you'd have to have watched all his videos to catch that.
Got it. But these tests he's doing still only prove that water does not wash off the motorkote and that water with motorkote provides better protection than just water. I don't know about you but I'm not planning on running water in my engine instead of oil. A proper test for our purpose would be an engine with just oil and then have a engine with motorkote and oil.
Doesn't really prove if motorkote improves wear when mixed with oil.

I would be interested in this product if I could find more definitive proof of its effectiveness along with long term use, etc. There is a gto with 1246whp on youtube that gets 30+mpg or 20+mpg on e-85. They have coated pistons which improve the efficiency.
I would imagine if the motorkote worked, then it would have a similar effect.
Also since the motorkote bonds to the rotating assembly, I wonder if it would provide extra protection under low oil pressure in hard corning. Our oil pans are flawed which is one of the reasons why our rod bolts are a weakness.
http://swaintech.com/swain-tech-coated-pistons-improve-diesel-engine-life-hp-and-mileage/

Let us know if your gas mileage improves.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Ok my fellas. Gots more info for you. I said I would update as I change things. I’m pecking away at it just to see what each difference is. I think maybe once I get it all lined out where I want my temps, then I’ll compile everything in the first post to help anyone that is searching for answers. I mentioned I added a bigger trans cooler. At night my temps would see 200+ before the cooler. After the cooler, I saw about 180-185. I now added a 7” fan to the cooler. Riding around. Sitting in a parking lot and letting it idle with the ac on, I saw 156f. So I went made a few full throttle hits, running it up to third gear. Highest I could get it was 163-164. The fan made a significant difference. It also worked out that it pulls some air through my intercooler so the temps on my iat is more controlled. Win win. I’m going to add one fan directly to the intercooler. That should help in traffic. I’m really considering a aluminum radiator. O my coolant temps never really got over 190 with the ac on and idling. Maybe cooling the trans fluid doesn’t add more heat to the radiator.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ok my fellas. Gots more info for you. I said I would update as I change things. I’m pecking away at it just to see what each difference is. I think maybe once I get it all lined out where I want my temps, then I’ll compile everything in the first post to help anyone that is searching for answers. I mentioned I added a bigger trans cooler. At night my temps would see 200+ before the cooler. After the cooler, I saw about 180-185. I now added a 7” fan to the cooler. Riding around. Sitting in a parking lot and letting it idle with the ac on, I saw 156f. So I went made a few full throttle hits, running it up to third gear. Highest I could get it was 163-164. The fan made a significant difference. It also worked out that it pulls some air through my intercooler so the temps on my iat is more controlled. Win win. I’m going to add one fan directly to the intercooler. That should help in traffic. I’m really considering a aluminum radiator. O my coolant temps never really got over 190 with the ac on and idling. Maybe cooling the trans fluid doesn’t add more heat to the radiator.
That's good to hear, makes me want to add a fan to my intercooler. I checked out your build thread and I really like your setup. Makes me almost want to switch to turbos but I don't want to loose my long tubes. I'm curious what the hp numbers are, did you ever dyno it?
I will be installing my aluminum radiator after the weekend. I'll let you know if I notice any difference in temps, that is if I'm able to get it to fit with fabrication as it is a little larger than stock.
20190704_004544_1562220960132.jpg
20190704_004609_1562221010687.jpg
Big A** fan in the way.
20190704_004030_1562221057255.jpg
20190704_004104_1562221111196.jpg
It comes with a trans cooler so I would like to put it to use. I really would like to use it as a fuel cooler cause after an hour of driving, my external fuel pumps get noticeably louder but I doubt e-85 would do well with aluminum. Maybe i'll trim a piece of one of the brackets in a unnoticeable area to test in e85. I would also have to largen the hole to 3/8 too or else the return will get backed up.
20190704_004335_1562221159156.jpg

I was wrong about my trans temp. Btw. I'm using the aeroforce scan guages and trans temp. Is always the same as ambient temp. So the scanner must be pulling that data from the wrong sensor. Looks like the t56 might not even come with a stock temp. sensor lol.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
That's good to hear, makes me want to add a fan to my intercooler. I checked out your build thread and I really like your setup. Makes me almost want to switch to turbos but I don't want to loose my long tubes. I'm curious what the hp numbers are, did you ever dyno it?
I will be installing my aluminum radiator after the weekend. I'll let you know if I notice any difference in temps, that is if I'm able to get it to fit with fabrication as it is a little larger than stock.
View attachment 493503
View attachment 493505
Big A** fan in the way.
View attachment 493507
View attachment 493509
It comes with a trans cooler so I would like to put it to use. I really would like to use it as a fuel cooler cause after an hour of driving, my external fuel pumps get noticeably louder but I doubt e-85 would do well with aluminum. Maybe i'll trim a piece of one of the brackets in a unnoticeable area to test in e85. I would also have to largen the hole to 3/8 too or else the return will get backed up.
View attachment 493511

I was wrong about my trans temp. Btw. I'm using the aeroforce scan guages and trans temp. Is always the same as ambient temp. So the scanner must be pulling that data from the wrong sensor. Looks like the t56 might not even come with a stock temp. sensor lol.

I never had it dynoed. It’s still a work in progress. I’m probably doing all this backwards but I’ll try to explain.
First I got the car cleaned up after I bought it. Then I started doing go fast stuff to it. I put a stereo in it (part of what I had for it anyways). Then I went to the track. I was pretty disappointed with a 12.1 at 113mph. Even though I didn’t have full length headers yet. Then I lined up with a turbo v6 firebird. It ran 11.5 @ 120mph. I said I gotta have that. So I decided at that point I’m was going to turbo it. Took a few months but I half ass got it done. I say half ass because I was running the stock fuel pump, no intercooler and a thrown together exhaust. But I was able to drive it. I don’t like my car being down. Soon as I could I added the fuel pump. Then just improvements and changes along the way. I added a intercooler shortly after getting it running because my iat’s were very high. I rushed my crossover pipe so I had to redo it because it kept leaking and breaking clamps and flex sections. When I went to the track, it went [email protected] with a broken v band and a big exhaust leak. I fixed it a few days later. Boost didn’t drop and made a couple extra lbs. I’ve since upped the boost even more and built a 3.5” downpipe. I have still yet to redo the exhaust. But you see how I’m just doing things in stages instead of having the car down, I like to drive it too much.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I took it out today. Hot. Very hot, almost 100 degrees today. The highest coolant temp I saw was 207 and the highest trans temp was 180. I’m getting there. I think if I just put an aluminum radiator in it, I’ll get the coolant in the 190’s which is what I want.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I took it out today. Hot. Very hot, almost 100 degrees today. The highest coolant temp I saw was 207 and the highest trans temp was 180. I’m getting there. I think if I just put an aluminum radiator in it, I’ll get the coolant in the 190’s which is what I want.
Well, I finished installing the full aluminum radiator. It fit pretty nicely, I did lose a bit more clearance but nothing crazy. Since the radiator is larger you aren't able to put the a/c radiator back into the radiator clips to help secure it, because there is not enough clearance between them. I heard from others with the stock fan shroud that you have to slightly trim the shroud to make it fit. Also I heard the transmission cooler has different size fittings than the stock fittings so you need an adapter for that.

I haven't noticed much difference in temps. yet. I didn't have a problem with overheating before and I don't really notice when my fans turn on so its hard to tell if it made any difference yet.
Even though this radiator is bigger it seems like it holds the same or slightly less coolant than my stock radiator cause that one didn't have a transmission cooler.

Your best bet would probably be to either make your own fan shroud out of sheet metal and then mount some large spal fans or buy the pro-charger fan shroud.
https://shop.brutespeed.com/ATI-MF007A-009-05-06-GTO-ProCharger-Fan-Shroud-Dual-Weld-ATI-MF007A-009.htm
Before when my car was a work in progress and after I added the spal fans, when my coolant temps were 210 and the fans kicked on I would see the coolant temp drop to 190 within a few seconds.

Or If you wanted to use this as a opportunity to gain some hp, reliability and keep your temps down you could get a flex fuel sensor and switch to e-85 since e-85 cools 3 times better than gas by volume. You'll gain <50hp with timing and a smoother ride. Only issue is the cost of upgrading your entire fuel system.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Well I ended up ordering a cold case radiator. Guess I’ll see how much that helps. I may do spal fans with a custom sheet metal shroud also. One thing at a time tho. I want to document differences so it may help someone later on.

·
Clean freak
170 Posts
Pack you pre intercooler charge tube with dry ice before your commute home. Build a small cage in front of your radiator and fill it with dry ice. Open your glove box and fill it with dry ice. LOOSEN YOUR BELT AND FILL YOUR PANTS WITH DRY ICE. EVERYTHING DRY ICE.

But on a serious note when I used to build pulling tractors we did the first two things I listed. Lowered IM temps and coolant temps dramatically. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
move to alaska. problem solved.

Well I always said when my grandma passed away (I’m all she had to help take care of her) that I was was gonna move out if this state. I just didn’t think it was going to be so soon. I thought she had about another ten years left. I’m not ready to move yet, plus one of my kids is in college and has a serious girlfriend, I can uproot him like that. He can’t afford to live on his own and go to school....I have to think about more than just myself.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thinking outside the box and cheap.
1.) Take hood off car, run it. Then look at temps, heat soak etc.
Share the temps with and without hood.
Lets keep it simple, cheap and not get our exercise by jumping to buy-buy etc
Lemme know the temps.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thinking outside the box and cheap.
1.) Take hood off car, run it. Then look at temps, heat soak etc.
Share the temps with and without hood.
Lets keep it simple, cheap and not get our exercise by jumping to buy-buy etc
Lemme know the temps.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts