LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting more and more used to the car now. It feels so so good. I was on my way home when a C5 M6 was at the light with me. The guy just looked over and smiled. He eased of the light and so did I. My front bumper was at his door and then he nailed it from a 20mph roll. By the end of first we were bumper to bumper again, after laying down two nice strips of rubber on the 1-2 shift I pulled him by a carlength. By the time I got into 3rd I was still pulling him and noticed him shut down. He just pulled up alongside me a little ways down the road and gave me a big thumbs up along with a nice chuckle.
It was nice. I wonder what the vettes pull bone stock?

On a side note, earlier that evening I raced FATCYAT(the other SLP heads/cam gto we did approx. 375rwhp) and I pulled him as well. From a 2nd gear roll till mid 4th he was 2-3 cars behind. It's good to know I'm putting a little more power down than he is. The only difference between our two cars is that I have JBA shorties and Random tech cats. He is running a LS1speed intake and I'm using the stock airbox.

·
Doc, Just Doc
8,767 Posts
Nice kill! Way to keep the GTO image strong!!!

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
WKDWS6 said:
C5's run mid to high 12's stock...

Good kill...
no they dont!!!! a Z06 runs high 12s stock. so how can a regular C5 run a mid 12?
this is either a typo or you have your facts wrong, way wrong. or maybe you were referring to a Z06 but didn't specify.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
no they dont!!!! a Z06 runs high 12s stock. so how can a regular C5 run a mid 12?
this is either a typo or you have your facts wrong, way wrong. or maybe you were referring to a Z06 but didn't specify.
What you said! C5's run low 13's.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I don't know what they typically run stock. You guys would know better than me. It's nice to know I might have myself a nice little 12 sec car now though.

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:

Z06's can pull 12.5 stock... Here are the Motortrend results for the Corvette in the test they put it up against a new cobra which they ran a best of 13.1 and we know the new cobras are capable of 12's stock and the times were ran with traction control on.

2003 Chevrolet Corvette
Specifications
Base price $50,395
Price as tested $56,265
Vehicle layout Front engine, rwd, 2-door, 2-pass
Engine 90° V-8, OHV, 2 valves/cyl
Displacement, ci/cc 345.7 / 5665
Max horsepower @ rpm 350 @ 5600
Max torque @ rpm 375 @ 4400
Transmission 6-speed manual
Curb weight, lb 3248
0-60 mph, sec 4.72
1/4 mile, sec @ mph 13.02 @ 109.59

These times are for the CONVERTIBLE too... The coupes run faster...

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
The Cobra's are WAY underrated in HP. Ask DY, he's seen a bunch. That's
why they run 12's stock. They are rated at 390hp. They are more like
430 at the crank at least.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
WKDWS6 said:
Z06's can pull 12.5 stock... Here are the Motortrend results for the Corvette in the test they put it up against a new cobra which they ran a best of 13.1 and we know the new cobras are capable of 12's stock and the times were ran with traction control on.

2003 Chevrolet Corvette
Specifications
Base price $50,395
Price as tested $56,265
Vehicle layout Front engine, rwd, 2-door, 2-pass
Engine 90° V-8, OHV, 2 valves/cyl
Displacement, ci/cc 345.7 / 5665
Max horsepower @ rpm 350 @ 5600
Max torque @ rpm 375 @ 4400
Transmission 6-speed manual
Curb weight, lb 3248
0-60 mph, sec 4.72
1/4 mile, sec @ mph 13.02 @ 109.59

These times are for the CONVERTIBLE too... The coupes run faster...

well i guess saying that the C5 can run a high 12 is like SLP saying that they did 13.1 in the GTO. both are POSSIBLE BUT DEFINETLY NOT COMMON.

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
well i guess saying that the C5 can run a high 12 is like SLP saying that they did 13.1 in the GTO. both are POSSIBLE BUT DEFINETLY NOT COMMON.
Except SLP did their run with drag radials and spare tire removed. Put drag radials on the vette and see what happens...
Anyways you have a 12 second car if you put distance on a vette like that or the guy was a bad driver.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
WKDWS6 said:
Anyways you have a 12 second car if you put distance on a vette like that or the guy was a bad driver.
oh, i would agree that if your GTO can beat a vette that it is very fast.

but i just dont agree that the numbers you posted are "common" for C5's

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
oh, i would agree that if your GTO can beat a vette that it is very fast.

but i just dont agree that the numbers you posted are "common" for C5's

I would have to say it is "common" with good drivers. The majority of vette owners however do not fall into this category. I have seen a stock c5 run a 12.85 at the track. I have also seen the same car run a 13.0 the same night.

·
got rice?
480 Posts
gtodoug said:
It's nice to know I might have myself a nice little 12 sec car now though.
Going to the track is the only real way to find out. I honestly don't think that C5 owner knew how to drive.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Blitzu said:
MOST C5's struggle hard to get into the 12's, you would be surprised.

I have several friends that have one... 3 of them are modded one isnt.

Only one of the runs 12 second passes, and that is with cam, heads, etc etc...

One of the others has gears, induction, and exhaust and his best time to date is a 13.00.

C5's typically run in stock form 13.1's-13.5's from what I have seen at the tracks and from my friends. I have yet to see a C5 run a 12 second pass in stock form. Possible yes, but not the norm.
agreed. i think that these results are more the norm

·
US Monaro-IBM/B/M6-K&N
739 Posts
Runnin' Strong .. is mindin' his ooowwwnnnn b'ness

Holeshot said:
But were you mindin your own business?
Runnin' Strong .. is mindin' his ooowwwnnnn b'ness! ... that's the way to do it!

Great Kill, gtoDoug! I'm sure the Vette Driver was surprised ... BBD is Smiling Large for you :D
.. .. Ride Safe ... BBD

1 - 19 of 19 Posts