LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Best Car Under $45k Period.
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
... or am I am I an idiot?

As some of you may or may not know, I have been having a problem with my Gravana intake sucking in too much hot air and performance is suffering from it.

So I was thinking "If I could only make something to kind of block the heat from the engine?!?!?

Well, when you install an aftermarket intake, you know that plastic do-hickey, that has a big opening and connects to the stock airbox? Well, the Gravana requires it to be removed and I assume others do as well. So I was thinking... if you flip it over and run the intake tube through the opening, it acts as a "shield" on top of the filter and runs down between the filter and the engine. Almost like it was made for that. The hood closes also, with no problem. I was thinking... if this doesn't help it... it probably can't harm it. The inside could also possibly be insulated with something?

Here's some pics:

There is NO filter on there in THIS PIC but you can see where the filter goes (almost like a little cubby hole for it)

Whatcha think? It almost looks like an aftermarket piece ya know?

·
CAUTION!!!!
9,883 Posts
hey, if it works and you dont mind how it looks, then go for it....its all about what you like and what works for you!

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Yes, a heat shield helps and the K&N setup utilizes this, but it would also be advantagous to relocate the IAT sensor somewhere away from the tube along the radiator.

·
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried ANOTHER new idea.

I re-installed my Gravana intake and made a jury rigged, heat shield.

Not sure if it will work and it doesnt look TOO ghetto.. soooo.... I hope to isolate some of the hot engine air and the cool air by the intake.

I chopped up a small garbage can and insulated it. The side of the insolated plastic goes down to the frame and the top partially covers the filter.

I can't see it being any worse than K&N's?!?!

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Also buy some foam backed insulation tape and wrap it around the stainless steel intake tube to further insulate it from the heat. That is what I did to my stock intake tube. I am also planning to relocate my IAT sensor but can't make up my mind on where the best spot is. The length of the wire will determine the final location of course.

I think you are doing the right thing. You are trying to get the best of both worlds: a non restrictive air filter that is insulated from hot engine air. Good luck on your quest for true cold air induction. This is a quest that I started myself since I got the goat.

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
Header wrap would work even better and would be a lot easier to remove later. But it costs more.

·
Registered
250 Posts
OK, I don't have pics, but I used a rectanglular plastic storage tub I had laying around to make a heat shield for my LS1 Speed intake. Not sure how well it works, but there aren't many gaps. Pics will come later.

·
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright.... guys, I have a dillema.

I installed my Gravana back on today and it threw an engine light. Soo.. I quickly put it back to stock and un-connected the negative side of the battery for a few minutes. I had to go to work so, I just went. I STILL had the engine light even with the stock unit. I checked with my Preditor a few minutes ago and it said the MAF was reading low. So I checked the connector to the MAF and one of the prongs inside the MAF was bent. So I took a screwdriver and straightened it back out (I guess I might have tried to put the connector in upside down. So, now it is back to stock.

I am not sure if I "re-set the ECU" right, but I took out the fuse and un-connected the battery for a few minutes. STILL had the engine light. So I used the preditor to take the light away. Now, if I am still having the problem, will the engine light come back on or will it be disabled forever?!?!

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts