LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just wondering about how much hassle folks get with a couple slightly less than legal things.

First has to do with exhaust. What are you running that is louder than stock, and have you ever been ticketed, etc.?

The second is tints. What do you have, and have you ever been ticketed? (What's the legal limit in MI, as well?)

Thanks guys.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
hi, first my car is a lot louder than stock but i think it's how sanely you drive. you draw attention to yourself while rodding it, you'll get a ticket. all Harleys and most pickup trucks are louder anyways. as far as tint, all tinting on the front sides or windsheild is illegal in Michigan. the main thing tho is the police want to be able to see you. i run tints (as noted in my sig) that by contrast give the appearance of being kinda stock on the front sides and don't see any problems happening from them at all. you can still see in. some here (nate that's you) are asking for a pull over some day with dark front tints. i know because i had it happen in the first 30 miles of owning a GTP with dark tints.

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
PS, you don't happen to live on the Westside? i saw a black one last weekend there (and it wasn't mine:))

·
Goatless
565 Posts
svede1212 said:
PS, you don't happen to live on the Westside? i saw a black one last weekend there (and it wasn't mine:))

Hey,
I saw one on the westside too, but I was already passing it when I(we) noticed it.

·
Gone but not forgotten
3,699 Posts
I don't worry so much about the exhaust. You just need to be aware of your surroundings. My tint concerns me a bit. They don't go looking to bust people for tint unless you have a suspicious looking ride. (Escalade w/24" spinners etc...) But it does give them another reason. I've had tinted windows on every vehicle in the last 15 years and been pulled over once and that was in Traverse City. I say "mod away and worry about it later."

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have no mufflers on mine, and it's not too loud as long as I don't rev it up too far. The PD here in Holland doesn't have to deal with much crime, so they're pretty heavy on traffic enforcement...so when I'm out and about here in town, I try to keep from revving up too much. I'm sure if a Holland PD officer heard me at full roar, I'd be pulled over in a heartbeat.

As far as tint goes, I'm legal there...I only have the back window and the two rear quarters tinted.

I would think that as long as you don't draw too much attention to yourself being stupid, you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've had a cat-less SVT focus, a Magnaflow'd Avalanche and a GTO with a full Spintech exhaust and I've never gotten pulled over for them being too loud here in Holland (or around GR.)

I also had 35% tint all the way around on my SVT, 20% on my Avy, 20% on my wife's Envoy Denali and 20% on my GTO. I drove for years without any hassle until this past Spring - I got pulled over for speeding in my SVT, but got off with only a warning and a window tint ticket - you can pay $75 or just peel it off and not have to pay anything. I paid it. About a month later my wife got pulled over while stopped at a stoplight for the tint on her truck - I got that one signed off and asked a cop friend of mine if getting pulled over for just tint is normal. He said that there are a few guys who will pull people over for only tint, but that most guys on the squad think it's a little stupid.

To ToddO's point - the Envoy Denali looks a little suspicious being black with tinted windows, a chrome grill and 18" polished wheels. I figured the cop would let my wife go when they saw she was just an innocent girl - but no such luck.

So there you go - with exhaust, you'll likely be fine. Probably with tint too, just try not to attract too much attention to yourself.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool, thanks for the info guys... I figured this would be the consensus, since MI seems to be pretty lax with regard to traffic laws, so I wanted to be sure.

svede1212 said:
Yeah, I live in Walker... Probably most likely to be seen on weekends or evenings.

I still don't think I've seen (Read: recognized) any GR locals from this board, though.

Although, one time I was driving down main street in Kalamazoo on lunch break and a guy beside me in a Buick or something said he had the same car, and mentioned this site.

·
Goatless
565 Posts
GrigsAllmoon said:
Cool, thanks for the info guys... I figured this would be the consensus, since MI seems to be pretty lax with regard to traffic laws, so I wanted to be sure.

Yeah, I live in Walker... Probably most likely to be seen on weekends or evenings.

I still don't think I've seen (Read: recognized) any GR locals from this board, though.

Although, one time I was driving down main street in Kalamazoo on lunch break and a guy beside me in a Buick or something said he had the same car, and mentioned this site.

Jerry and I were on Leonard in my IBM on the Saturday before your post, checking out my new gears, and a PBM honked at us as we were westbound. We were watching my tach and speedo, trying to notice a difference in the gears when whoever was in the PBM honked at us, so by the time we looked over, he had passed.

He was wondering if that was you.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bluGTO said:
Jerry and I were on Leonard in my IBM on the Saturday before your post, checking out my new gears, and a PBM honked at us as we were westbound. We were watching my tach and speedo, trying to notice a difference in the gears when whoever was in the PBM honked at us, so by the time we looked over, he had passed.

He was wondering if that was you.
Nope, that wasn't me.

But, speaking of IBM, does anyone here live on Bristol in Walker, near 4 Mile?

I've seen one at a house there a couple times.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I've seen the blue GTO in the area. I live of leonard and walker. Just bought my GTO in July. We both had sucsess at fox with the pedder struts. I've been checking out the drag strip up in stanton and it looks pretty fun. Plan on making a test and tune just to have some fun. Problem is it will only make me want to mod. out my car for faster runs. I have some good information on the ls2 motor. A good friend of mine works in Gm development of the piston rings for this motor. There has been a problem with oil blow back if you use the motor as a brake. Keep a eye on your oil level. Problem was addressed and hopfully solved.
Ran into a lady (50'is) with a torrid red 05 at chase bank on walker and leonard. She has University of Michigan plates. Lives in the area.

Anyone up to a local meet (west side)

·
Goatless
565 Posts
David K. Dumont said:
I've been checking out the drag strip up in stanton and it looks pretty fun. Plan on making a test and tune just to have some fun. Problem is it will only make me want to mod. out my car for faster runs.
Anyone up to a local meet (west side)
We've been known to meet and tip a few. There aren't many test-n-tunes left this year; you might as well come out to Stanton this Saturday to M11 and run with us :)

Oh, and if you look at our sigs, you'll see that going to the drag strip hasn't made Svede1212, ToddO, Rome or myself feel the need to mod our cars one bit! :gr_jest:

·
Registered
854 Posts
Can't go saturday to many things to do. But look forward to seeing you aroung town.
But i did buy a helmet on the way home....going Sunday!

What do you run gas wise? Talked to my friend at SP and he said that DO NOT run 114. To much lead. But there is a sunoco station at the 7000 blk of S. division that sells s safe 100. $4.99 a gallon.

·
Gone but not forgotten
3,699 Posts
David K. Dumont said:
Can't go saturday to many things to do. But look forward to seeing you aroung town.
But i did buy a helmet on the way home....going Sunday!

What do you run gas wise? Talked to my friend at SP and he said that DO NOT run 114. To much lead. But there is a sunoco station at the 7000 blk of S. division that sells s safe 100. $4.99 a gallon.
Don't waste your money unless you have major mods with high compression. 93 will work fine.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I will let you know how i did.

Heading up north late tommorow afternoon to practice take offs.
Have a freind and a private road to pratice.

Good luck Saturday!

·
Gone but not forgotten
3,699 Posts
Launching at the track will be different than on the road. Any kind of practice is beneficial though. Good luck as well!

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
that's a fact. i wondered what everybody was talking about with wheel hop. never felt it on the road. i thought i would shake my car apart when i launched at the track. i can't go two days in a row but i'd be up for a another day out of the few we have left this year...

·
Registered
854 Posts
Ended up running 14.2 sec. 100mph. First time and with a straight stock car. Going next sunday with a couple of friends with their cars. Will think long and hard over the winter about mods. Still would like to look at some of the mods. around town.
Need to start a list with straight stock cars. Where did other people end up with a stock run.

First run was the fastest. Got some heavy rear wheel hop on my last run.
O well practice makes perfect. Then comes the modifications!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts