LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been a fan of this type of hood. I don't think anyone is currently making one to fit our cars. Please tell me if I'm wrong. If they are I would definitely be interested in buying one. Attachment is an example of what I'm talking about.

·
DOG
626 Posts
FYI, that is just a cowl hood. True cowl induction would include the backward opening flapper door. As a 72 Chevelle owner, I can tell you there is a BIG difference between the two :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the clarification. Whether or not it's 'inducted' wouldn't really matter to me. I just think that style hood would look good on the GTO. I've never really been a big fan of the "pig-snout" scoops.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
IMHO, on this car, a real cowl induction hood like the Chevelle's could look good but be an SOB to plumb. A similar style, but different hood might actually benefit the intake to get air to an MPD style Airbox. Somewhere on here we submitted ideas for a hood for the car. I sketched out an always open stealth cowl induction style hood that was all but invisible. It would have to be made from a stock hood with a second outer hood skin smoothly faired to the front and sides, but having an elevated and a tapered opening at the rear with screening. Internally, diminishing channels would have to made, supporting the outer skin and channeling air to the Airbox corner. There a flange could be added to mate to the Airbox, and drip holes along the front edge drilled through the bottom layer. I'm just a knuckle busting, wrench bending, under the hood kind of guy, with an accumulation of bits of what does, doesn't, might and might not work with just a smattering of engineering. One of you dyed in the wool engineering types would have to look at it and determine if there is a real benefit to getting air there, pressure considerations and all while moving, and refine it. I envisioned the back opening to be about two to three inches in the center gradually tapered to the stock fenderlines and front edge, and the outer layer extended back a bit to hide the opening and provided a modicum of weather protection for the opening. My concept was to have the modification virtually indistinguishable from a stock hood to the untrained eye. IF there is a good flow of cooler air possible to get from the windshield under positive pressure, we'd then have to find some soul brave enough to make and market them on speculation.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Red98gt said:
Oldgoat, Guess you could adapt just the scoop to the stock hood?

http://www.up22.com/scoopw1.htm
I think so, but I'm a pretty brutal body guy... :D There is a shop just down the road I can approach with the idea, etc. I still have no idea if it will actually do any real good or end up a looks only thing (to me, a waste of time and $$$). If someone determines there is some benefit, I may have to find a stock hood to give him and spend a few nights there. He does his regular stuff days, but in the evenings the regular insurance stuff gets wheeled out and the local 'Real Iron' comes to play and get stuff done. He owns an absolutely mint Porshe Guard's Red stock exteriored 57 Chevy Sedan Delivery built to the max invisibly and Rally Wheeled as his Shop Truck.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the cowl hood would give the front of the car a little more character. Don't get me wrong, the factory hood works for me. I just haven't seen any aftermarket hoods that really stood out IMHO. I do agree the plumbing would be a nightmare.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
gangster1 said:
I think the cowl hood would give the front of the car a little more character. Don't get me wrong, the factory hood works for me. I just haven't seen any aftermarket hoods that really stood out IMHO. I do agree the plumbing would be a nightmare.
I'm sure that if the visible cowl hood was approached with the goal in mind of getting air to the box it could be done. I can only imagine what a pain it was doing so for the functional dual inlet hoods out there now, but they did it. :hail:

·
Ph.D. in R.E.
407 Posts
I can give you a good reason for cowl induction. There's a fellow on the forced induction forum that says the GTO intercooler for the magnacharger is about 30% smaller than the vette intercooler in order to clear the stock hood. If we could run a bigger/taller intercooler, even at the cost of a cowl hood and a new engine bay brace, that would be a worthwhile, functional mod.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Obviously, everyone tastes are different. I don't think a cowl induction hood (similar to those commonly available in the aftermarket, would look good. The GTO needs something to visually "build up" the nose, not accentuate its front slope. It's the wedge shape that I don't care for. Addressing this is what I like about my purchased-but-not-installed RK hood.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Personally, I like the variety of the different hoods. The only one I'm not too keen on is the scorpion. I just don't care for the bump between the air intakes even though it's an allusion to prior gto's. I really like the pfyc hood - but until they make it easier to install, I'm not spending that kind of kibble for an aesthetic upgrade.

Having said that, you guys have a blast modding the daylights out of your gto's. Gives me something cool to read about :p

·
Registered
308 Posts
Despite the content of my earlier post, I do like the design that Goat33 posted. It's sharp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts